Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #921
mastershogun
Feeling at Home

Trading: (47)
Bolivar
mastershogun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Official Soccer/Football/Futbol/Calcio thr

what's people's take on kaka's move? For Milan I think it is the best time to sell him. They will not be going anywhere next year without or without him... might as well make some money off of him with Real's president switch and willingness to buy at high. Good news for dinho is he wants to make his move back into playing form (also doesn't have to share the midfield with becks).
Barca needs to do some reinforcement... sell henry this year and eto next year. Get any money for Hleb and keep Gudjohnson if he will stay. I'd like to see a new GK but no one really good is available right now. If yaya wants to leave get mascherano. don't get fabregas or tez and don't know why pep wants toni... they should go for villa or benzema

also, what are people's thoughts on confederation cup? US has a tough group!
mastershogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #922
theycallmedan'lboone

I hope they buy the diver so he can fit in the fairy league... haha I think kaka will do well, and that AC will not be the same, PATO is already talking about leaving. He could come join my side... I'd be fine with Masch leaving, running Gerrard and Alonso in the middle and then Pato and Torres up top? Deadly I think? yes.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #923
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Trading: (3)
aldukes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
I hope they buy the diver so he can fit in the fairy league.
That made me chuckle.

the other stuff in your post did too- but for other reasons.
aldukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #924
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

anniversary present from the wife.

Man U jersey signed by the 08/09 squad

Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #925
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
anniversary present from the wife.

Man U jersey signed by the 08/09 squad

Im not a Man. Un. fan, but that is awesome
Old 06-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #926
GTsetGO
those were the droids

Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

now all i have to do is get it framed.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #927
theycallmedan'lboone

HELL YEAH! that's awesome! Hobby Lobby has the big box thingys... Spain is running riot on New Zealand. Torres had a hat trick in the first 18 minutes.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #928
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
HELL YEAH! that's awesome! Hobby Lobby has the big box thingys... Spain is running riot on New Zealand. Torres had a hat trick in the first 18 minutes.
Great game Im watching the Brazil and Egypt game. 3-3 right now at 67min.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #929
GTsetGO
those were the droids

Montecristo

well the USA looked great today.

ooops, meant to say Italy.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #930
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
well the USA looked great today.

ooops, meant to say Italy.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #931
theycallmedan'lboone

MY take on the US v Italy.

The US started strong, physical going toe to toe with players like Gattuso, Pirlo and de Rossi. The team had some early chances, some pressure on goal. The defense looked soft and let the Italians make too many dangerous runs. 1 on 1 defending wasn't horrible. Jozy Altidore, when he had the ball at his feet looked dangerous. He and Michael Bradley had two chances that one would figure, one of them would have put it away. I felt that they were not selfish enough, Bradley trying to be cute, and Jozy trying to square to Donovan, when he should have let fly. The US had some poor penalties given away but really the red card was a bit harsh IMHO, but Gattuso's typical Italian antics. Grosso's deliberate elbow to the face of Donovan should have certainly be a sending off. The US seemed to settle down, play aggressive and scored a goal, to say Jozy didn't exaggerate would be a laugh, but he certainly was fouled. The center official was a little inconsistent, some minimal contact would be called for a foul, othertimes a player on both sides would be crushed with no call. Jozy's touch isn't the best to be a lone striker, in fact was so inconsistent with his touches that on the occasions he made a good touch down or laterally his target wasn't ready for it. I hate divers, which explains my hatred for the Italians, even the firey ones like Gattusso. As physical as some of these guys are they are sheer fairies when it comes to anyone touching them. The US Wasted too many chances by over thinking their time on the ball in the final third, I understand that the team needed to control the ball and not waste chances, but we aren't Arsenal and we can't try to walk the ball into the goal. Take shots, take chances, you don't take chances you don't win. The defense started the second half pretty strong physically and on the through runs by the Azzuri, balls served into the box were defended well in the air, and on the ground, however the team cannot continue to concede corners at the breakneck pace. I will not mention the name of the traitor, who moves to this country at a young age, takes advantage of all the opportunities given to him and then decides to play for a different country. Obviously he has talent and his goal was a was well taken, but a result of a defender refusing to step, at this level you do NOT give anyone space 25 yards and in. Imagine what a player of that type skill could do in the midfield. From the moment the US went down a man it was more than an uphill fight. The US defended valiantly and tried their best to give no quarter and take no prisoners but playing 60 minutes with 10 men against a team as talented as the Italian team is difficult to say the least. Tired legs pushed hard but the go ahead goal seemed inevitable after the 65th minute and constant pressure. The Italians brought on some help in the air with Luca Toni in the 70th minute. I personally feel Bob Bradly should subbed two midfield players to help defend, but he seemed to be pushing for offense by subbing in Beasley de Rossi's goal was a nicely taken one but more a result of Onyewu's inability to clear a ball coming in and the fact that he was in front of Timmy Howard. On a completely separate note, if I ever find the guy who did the A/C in my house I am going to choke him stupid. back to football. Donovan wasted wasted a really good chance by keeping the ball instead of passing the ball to Beasley. Donovan should have won a penalty in the 80th minute but in my opinion went down too easy, had he tried to win ball he might have picked it up. The US didn't play HORRIBLY but certainly could have played better. Losing a man so early really hurt. Jay Demerit and Oguchi Onyewu played pretty well at the back. The Italians goals all came from medium to long range strikes, partially from poor finishing but some solid aerial defending. One huge thing I noticed, our midfielders and strikers seem to hesitate to shoot from distance, trying too hard in my opinion, to not waste chances. You can't waste a chance you don't take. Tim Howard did well probably the best player for the US. The final goal, nothing you can say, poor and tired defending. traitor. Overall the us didn't play the worst I've ever seen 'em but certainly didn't play the best, had we had 11 men, might have been a different story.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #932
GTsetGO
those were the droids

Montecristo

they played the best that i have seen in the last few months. in the WC qualifying they have looked BAD.

they did go toe to toe with italy until the red card came out. But italy is a second half team as it is.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #933
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

Quote:
they played the best that i have seen in the last few months. in the WC qualifying they have looked BAD.

they did go toe to toe with italy until the red card came out. But italy is a second half team as it is.
nice summation, and nice shirt, GOOD WOMAN!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #934
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Did Dempsey play yesterday?

Oh yeah, he passed the ball to Rossi for the first goal.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #935
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

oh good! another embarrassing loss.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #936
GTsetGO
those were the droids

Montecristo

how dare you say that.

they look bad.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #937
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
how dare you say that.

they look bad.
They got scored on their OWN corner kick
Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #938
Jdbwolverines
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Jdbwolverines is on a distinguished road

Wow the US looked bad. Loosing a close one to Italy a man down, I can understand, but Brazil just killed them. That corner kick was an absolute disgrace. On the other, Egypt has been playing very well lately. If not for the late penalty, they draw Brazil, and looked good in the win today vs Italy. I don't like USA's chances of getting a win in this tournament.
Jdbwolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #939
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Dempsey and Beasley need to find a permanent home on the bench

WTF is Stuart Holden? Why doesn't Bennie get more minutes? Why does Beasley keep getting minutes? Where is Adu? Why are 4-5 of our good players injured?

Why does Bradley still have a coaching job for us?

etc etc etc...

there is talent available, but it's not being used well, nor is it being maximally put on the field.

The bench idea goes for Mastroeni too. Old/slow/crappy/notasgoodastheythinktheyare players( cough dempsey) need to sit TF down and we need to turn loose the talent and let them create and attack.

rant\
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #940
theycallmedan'lboone

Man, we've let this thread slip too far! What's been going on in folks football world?

I know Tripoli is in dallas wowing his team with dazzling speed

I owe some people an update on the league contest I was in, they called the season after 8 games, instead of 10, so I'm not quite sure what to do about the goals or the record inputs?

What about the US confederations cup heartbreak? After playing poorly for 2 games getting in by the skin on our teeth and then sinking spain and nearly Brazil? Gold Cup thoughts? We need to get this back up near the TOP!

Is it too soon to mention the CA EPL Fantasy league? seems like we just stopped the other day! I plan on bringing it back. Maybe break it up and have a midseason prize? Hope everyone except Don Fernando is doing well, Don, I hope you've had really flat beer lately.