Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation
Default Mr. Heater Big Buddy

As the weather is turning, many of us in the northern hemisphere are looking for a shot of warmth as we brave the outside world in search of smoking nirvana.

Ladies and gentlemen, with no affiliation or stock option purchase rights, I'd like to post a brief review of a fantastic heater, The Mr. Heater Big Buddy!

http://www.mrheater.com/

And the product under review can be found here http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...atid=41&id=116

At 18,000 BTU and two fuel options (disposable 1# LP tanks or a larger tank with hose and adapter), this is a fantastic heater.

I picked mine up from Northern Tool on sale for $99... the adapter hoses and power adapter (which powers the blower on the unit) will cost you extra. The blower will run on 4 D cell batteries to make it completely portable.

The power adapter cost me $14.99... I passed on the $49.99 Large Tank hose and adapter.

When used with the disposable (prefilled) LP tanks, it can safely be run indoors, although I havent' tried it yet. By the time I recoup the cost of the adapter hose for a larger LP tank, I would have been through 24 disposable cans. I'll spend this winter season on the smaller tanks, which will safely keep me warm for 4-5 cigars each.

Here's a picture of it running on my screened in porch (it's on the low setting, so only one ceramic plate is lit)

I had a 'tank top' version from Mr Heater, which is a radiant style heater that I've seen several other BOTLs use. The Big Buddy is even quieter than the tank topper! While it's not silent, the fan and ceramic plates just dont' make a lot of noise.

Summary:

Pros: Can be used indoors, heats up to 400 sq ft very efficiently, portable for hunting & RVs

Cons: Price is a bit high, and accessories will cost you even more!

Judgment:

This heater gets three smiling smokies (out of four) - The price keeps it from getting four smiling smokes!

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mr. Heater Big Buddy

Whadda talkin' about? South Carolina is warm all year around. Geez, buncha girls.

Just kidding. I use a Mr. Buddy Jr. in my ice fishing shack and it is very dependable. Takes plenty of bumps and bruises with no ill effects. Like Ted says, they're a little more expensive, but are a good product.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Stogeyfish
Barney's Life Matters

First Name: Donald
Trading: (2)
Stogeyfish will become famous soon enough

Nice! I've got the smaller unit and it works great!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Very nice! I've been thinking one of those would be perfect for my shed...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I like the idea of a blower as opposed to only radiant heat, I will be checking further into this one. Great review Ted!
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote