Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Humidor seasoning/bead question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Smoking 4-5 months. And I am 23. Not sure how that matters with this thread. Everyone around here squeezes cigars, and you have no idea how many ruined cigars I see, next time I go to a B&M i'll snap some photos with my camera phone, I bet I can find 3-4 cigars in the humidor each time I visit that have been squeezed too hard.
It has general relevance in that it puts your posts into perspective based on your experience.

And just to play devil's advocate, how do you know the damage you observe at your B&M is from squeezing? Cigars can sustain damage in many ways. Now if you have observed customers squeezing cigars and then see the damage, that is a different story.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #22
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
It has general relevance in that it puts your posts into perspective based on your experience.

And just to play devil's advocate, how do you know the damage you observe at your B&M is from squeezing? Cigars can sustain damage in many ways. Now if you have observed customers squeezing cigars and then see the damage, that is a different story.
Well, I suppose I just assume its from the squeezing, almost everytime I am there I see someone squeeze the cigars. There is this one older fellow who is a regular there that will squeeze almost a whole box before he buys the cigar he wants to find the perfect one. He will also bring a cigar to his ear to listen while he squeezes it, not sure why, just something I have observed.

I see a lot of cracked heads and torn wrappers, it just seems squeezing would be what causes them. I really don't see the point tho, the B&M has a hygrometer in there and it always reads somewhere between 68-72% RH... that should be good enough for most people.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Not a squeezer myself. Not to say that I haven't done so, but I do not find it to be a reliable test for me. I am also not one to shove a cigar in my nose at a B&M either

At good B&Ms all the cigars should be well-kept (well humidified), otherwise I go elsewhere...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #24
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Ugh... another squeezer...
Not all. Once the humidor is up running, a squeeze in not necessary every time. Once you have a feel for your cigars and know the humidor it is not needed. Quite often the hygrometer is correct and everything is good.

At a B&M, I look toward construction & appearence; not humidity. Any knots and if it is too tight at foot is basically it. I respect the B&M’s stock, but I do feel one should be able to handle a cigar. The tobacconist should take them out of the box.

B&M's stock is usually too humid for my taste.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #25
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Basically. The cigar's head should not crack and they smoke the way you like them to. Having a number reading is good, but if it is off yet the cigars seem fine, it is ok.

Certainly a nice day for a ride. Perfect temp's out.

How many cigar humidor did you buy?
75 give or take. Gotta start somewhere .
PCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #26
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR View Post
75 give or take. Gotta start somewhere .
That is sooooo not big enough... You will outgrow that within a month easily.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #27
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That is sooooo not big enough... You will outgrow that within a month easily.
Let's hope he doesn't fill it with cigars he'll out grow first.

Be careful with what you buy, especially with NC's.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #28
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
I can understand checking for soft spots/voids, and if it's too wet after observing that it looks too wet. If you squeezed a bunch of heads and they were too dry wouldn't you have a bunch of cracked cigars though? I know this question implies some sarcasm but I am really curious. My way is not necessarily the best or only way.
Honestly, I just do it out of habit. And it normally is a very light squeeze/roll.

Teh stupid thing is, there are such varying levels of firmness between different cigars, that it isn't really all too informative a test.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #29
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Honestly, I just do it out of habit. And it normally is a very light squeeze/roll.

Teh stupid thing is, there are such varying levels of firmness between different cigars, that it isn't really all too informative a test.
Yep.