Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough
Default Man O' War

This is my first attempt at a review, so please bear with me. I've never tried to verbalize my smoking experience before.

I received this cigar from Tedrogerscpa in a newbie sampler trade a while back, and have just now gotten around to enjoying it. I've been looking foward to this one based on the reviews I've read.

The cigar is a Man O' War Toro (6.2x52)
Appearance/ Construction: This is a beautifull stick. Dark redish brown wrapper with what I would consider medium veins. Nice cap. 8 out of 10

Setting: Back porch by candle light with my laptop and a Sam Adams Octoberfest.

The pre-light draw was a bit heavy, but nothing too worrisome. I toasted it with my Benzomatic candle lighter/ torch that I've come to like. I've recently began to light my sticks without drawing, and only a short purge before letting it rest for a few seconds. The first draw revealed a nice nic kick at the back of the throat. After about the first 1/2 inch, the draw loosened up nicely, and I corrected the burn slightly. The initial nicotine kick has relaxed, and the flavors I'm picking up are a light toasty chocolate, with an earthy, slightly sweet finish.

It ashed itself in my lap after about 1". The burn was very slow, and it actually went out in my hand at one point. It was certainly not from neglect. I don't know if the relight is to blame, but this is where the slight sweetness was replaced by unpleasant bitterness. It really went down hill from there, and I put it down after about 1 hr 15 min. The cigar was only half gone by this point. It was a while after dinner, and I was certainly feeling the strength of this stick.

I think this might have been a bum stick. I'm not going to rush out and buy a box, but I would give it another try, maybe in a rubusto.

Overall smoking experience 6 out of 10
Starchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Man O' War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
This is my first attempt at a review, so please bear with me. I've never tried to verbalize my smoking experience before.

I received this cigar from Tedrogerscpa in a newbie sampler trade a while back, and have just now gotten around to enjoying it. I've been looking foward to this one based on the reviews I've read.

The cigar is a Man O' War Toro (6.2x52)
Appearance/ Construction: This is a beautifull stick. Dark redish brown wrapper with what I would consider medium veins. Nice cap. 8 out of 10

Setting: Back porch by candle light with my laptop and a Sam Adams Octoberfest.

The pre-light draw was a bit heavy, but nothing too worrisome. I toasted it with my Benzomatic candle lighter/ torch that I've come to like. I've recently began to light my sticks without drawing, and only a short purge before letting it rest for a few seconds. The first draw revealed a nice nic kick at the back of the throat. After about the first 1/2 inch, the draw loosened up nicely, and I corrected the burn slightly. The initial nicotine kick has relaxed, and the flavors I'm picking up are a light toasty chocolate, with an earthy, slightly sweet finish.

It ashed itself in my lap after about 1". The burn was very slow, and it actually went out in my hand at one point. It was certainly not from neglect. I don't know if the relight is to blame, but this is where the slight sweetness was replaced by unpleasant bitterness. It really went down hill from there, and I put it down after about 1 hr 15 min. The cigar was only half gone by this point. It was a while after dinner, and I was certainly feeling the strength of this stick.

I think this might have been a bum stick. I'm not going to rush out and buy a box, but I would give it another try, maybe in a rubusto.

Overall smoking experience 6 out of 10
They look great, feel great in the hand and are packed with tobacco.In fact, I only find one thing wrong with this stick, they taste like S#@T!!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Great first review. You done good!

I smoked the Robusto of these and was not impressed. Got more resting so we'll see.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

P.S. sorry for not acknowledging a very nice review, the cigar is not great but the review was a good one and nicely written, especially for your first one. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

Nice review, StarChild.

My experience with the few I smoked were too good, either... it's been touch and go... By far, the corona size has done me best.

My guess is that we'll see this stick on closeout within the year.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote