Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Smokin0808 is on a distinguished road
Default Help me pick first humi

I looking to get my first humidor and wanted to ask for some opinions on the ones I'm looking at. I know humis bought online can be a crap shoot. I'm looking at these:
My personal favorite. It has a key, good size, and nice looking
https://www.cigarextras.com/product/...umidors-Medium

Another with key, maybe a little bulky
http://www.cubancrafters.com/product...00-CIGARS.html

Nice looking, and not expensive
http://www.elighters.com/vhud601.html

Nice looking, great size, is it still functional as a desktop?
http://www.elighters.com/vhud77.html

Any opinions are appreciated.
Smokin0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help me pick first humi

If you think that you are going to fall down this crazy slope that most of us experience then I suggest looking at larger humidors. My first humi was the Treasuredome (250 count), and I outgrew it in 3 months. Just something to consider.

Out of those I like the maple one.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Rule #1 always get bigger than you think you'll need, because you'll need it. If you are set on getting something really nice like your first link you can go to http://www.danielmarshall.com/humidors.html and they have seconds onsale there for less than 50% of their regular price, these usually have a tiny smudge or imperfection and 9 times out of 10 it's nothing the average person will ever notice unless you are looking for it. They are beautiful boxes, I love mine, that being said, I filled it up in 20 seconds and was back to looking for something bigger.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Tower or aristocrat
Old 09-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Just get a cooler....
Old 09-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

I know everyone says go bigger because you eventually outgrow your desktop humidors. When that happens I'll go the coolidor route. Until then, a desktop sure would be nice. And, when I do outgrow it, that doesn't mean I can't use it.

I like the DM humis, but I don't see anyplace on the website for seconds. Do I have to contact them on those?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin0808 View Post
I know everyone says go bigger because you eventually outgrow your desktop humidors. When that happens I'll go the coolidor route. Until then, a desktop sure would be nice. And, when I do outgrow it, that doesn't mean I can't use it.

I like the DM humis, but I don't see anyplace on the website for seconds. Do I have to contact them on those?
You just have to look at the list and email them, they get back to you within a day and deal with them like that. It's pretty painless.

http://www.danielmarshall.com/sale.html
Old 09-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  91.9 KB

Go custom, after searching the net and not finding anything I liked, I had mine built.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  79.1 KB

About a 250 count.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

I strongly recommend a coolidor. You don't need fancy right now, you need reliable and easy storage. Starting out, you should spend your money on figuring out what cigars you like, and biw many you need on hand. Go to Amazon and get a $20 Coleman 28qt, and four Spanish cedar trays from cheaphumidors.com.

Once you've been in the game a while, and have a better idea of how many cigars you truly want to have in hand, you'll have a better idea of what you want/need out of a desktop humidor (size, quality, price, etc.) and can make a better decision.

I went through four or five different sizes and qualities of humidors. I don't own one anymore as I now use a wineador and a cooler for everything and found out I don't really need a desktop.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilninjabuddy View Post
I strongly recommend a coolidor. You don't need fancy right now, you need reliable and easy storage. Starting out, you should spend your money on figuring out what cigars you like, and biw many you need on hand. Go to Amazon and get a $20 Coleman 28qt, and four Spanish cedar trays from cheaphumidors.com.

Once you've been in the game a while, and have a better idea of how many cigars you truly want to have in hand, you'll have a better idea of what you want/need out of a desktop humidor (size, quality, price, etc.) and can make a better decision.

I went through four or five different sizes and qualities of humidors. I don't own one anymore as I now use a wineador and a cooler for everything and found out I don't really need a desktop.
I've certainly thought about a cooler, as I said, but it will take me a couple years to fill even a 50 stick humidor. When I need one, I'll get one. Until then, I want a desktop. Here's another model I can across. Not my favorite, appearance wise, but may be very functional, and a nice price.
http://t.thompsoncigar.com/product/X...IDOR/88221.uts
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Avoid Thompson like the plague.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
If you think that you are going to fall down this crazy slope that most of us experience then I suggest looking at larger humidors. My first humi was the Treasuredome (250 count), and I outgrew it in 3 months. Just something to consider.

Out of those I like the maple one.
Tony is correct, take what you are thinking and multiply by 3, then buy 3 of that size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Just get a cooler....
Wise Words from a wise man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Even Wiser words...

I started with a 50 ct, then after my first trade that was full, So I went into 2 large tupperdors while having my custom humi built, Less than a year later it is nearly full, luckily I designed it to be expandable so all I have to do is have an extra section built, which I will probably need by the end of the year...
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
AdamJoshua

Some of us do like having a nice desktop humi (or 2 or 3), I have 2 that I love and look very nice out on display, one I keep unbanded sticks in and one I use as a dry box and keep a nice selection of cigars in it that I'll be smoking at home, just rotate them through.

So while people have his best interest at heart telling him just to get a cooler, I think you have to remember that there are many phases to this great hobby and adventure and to me personally one of them is having a nice humi so when people come over, if someone wants a cigar they can just go in the humi and not have to pry open a 150 quart cooler... lol.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...-dome-humidor/

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Some of us do like having a nice desktop humi (or 2 or 3), I have 2 that I love and look very nice out on display, one I keep unbanded sticks in and one I use as a dry box and keep a nice selection of cigars in it that I'll be smoking at home, just rotate them through.

So while people have his best interest at heart telling him just to get a cooler, I think you have to remember that there are many phases to this great hobby and adventure and to me personally one of them is having a nice humi so when people come over, if someone wants a cigar they can just go in the humi and not have to pry open a 150 quart cooler... lol.
Exactly. Actually, my ideal humi would hold 20-30, and have a lock and key. It would simply be the next cigars I intend to smoke. Anything more would go in a cooler, and I would just fill the desktop as needed.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
Ed M
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ed
Ed M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Listen to him, He speaks the truth!
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Wow, I didn't know Thompson was so bad. Good to know.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post

I couldn't agree more. Many folk are perfectly happy to keep their smokes in plastic. Others, like myself, prefer wood. Both work from a utility standpoint, and dollar wise you can get a lot more plastic for your money. But wood has soul. A cooler or wineador is simply functional.

While I have a cabinet for bulk storage, I have two wooden humidors I use for singles. One is a smaller cherry wood unit my wife gave me around twenty years ago. It gets used every day, sits on my desk, and is displayed with pride. It's probably around a 75 count.

Then I have a 350 count on the credenza behind my desk I use for NCs. Decent looking unit I've had for seven years or so. It's just now starting to acquire the lovely smell that older, well used cedar lined humidors have.

So while many prefer plastic, there are also those of us who enjoy a traditional humidor. If you fall into the second camp, buy a good one you'll be proud of in the decades to come.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote