Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
MithShrike

Default I have finally found a vodka I like.

I can't drink Absolut, Stoli, Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Russian Standard, Glacier, Ketel One, or Svedka.

I've only been able to drink Polish vodkas with moderate success. Chopin, Belvedere, Luksusowa and just once Siwucha. Of these Luksusowa was best in my book but now it has been replaced. If you like vodka you must buy Sobieski. It's a Polish rye vodka that actually has flavor. At $11 a bottle it's incredibly frugal. Somewhat spicy, sweet after taste and aroma, smooth and warm. Best of all, this is the first vodka I've had that has not given me a hangover. Incredible. Of course, I drank it straight and warm.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...roductID=25947
Old 12-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I can't drink Absolut, Stoli, Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Russian Standard, Glacier, Ketel One, or Svedka.

I've only been able to drink Polish vodkas with moderate success. Chopin, Belvedere, Luksusowa and just once Siwucha. Of these Luksusowa was best in my book but now it has been replaced. If you like vodka you must buy Sobieski. It's a Polish rye vodka that actually has flavor. At $11 a bottle it's incredibly frugal. Somewhat spicy, sweet after taste and aroma, smooth and warm. Best of all, this is the first vodka I've had that has not given me a hangover. Incredible. Of course, I drank it straight and warm.

I have never even heard of that Vodka, let alone tried it, however, it sounds interesting, and if I can find a bottle this weekend, I'll give it a go!

Like you, except for Ketel One, I do not care for any of the Vodkas you mentioned at the top. Over the last few years, I have come to really like Chopin (about $30), Staraya Moskva (about$20) & the Stolichnaya Gold (about $28)! The Gold is much different than the standard Stoli, offering a lot of spiciness. I also like Ketel One!
Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Heatmiser
Still Watching Your Rack

Trading: (1)
Heatmiser is on a distinguished road

I drink my bourbon, tequila and scotch straight. Vodka, on the other hand, is one that I will only drink when mixed. To me, the best vodka is one that has no taste or smell and will dissolve into a mixed drink. My favorites in this category are Tito's and Kettle One. Both are priced extremely reasonable.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatmiser View Post
I drink my bourbon, tequila and scotch straight. Vodka, on the other hand, is one that I will only drink when mixed. To me, the best vodka is one that has no taste or smell and will dissolve into a mixed drink. My favorites in this category are Tito's and Kettle One. Both are priced extremely reasonable.
Taste is very subjective, but even so, you are the first I have ever heard, describe Ketel One as tasteless and void of aroma. Ketel One is kind of my go to Vodka, and I and many others I know, find it to offer a very intense mineral, flowery aroma, with very distinct flavors of smoke & licorice, with a light flowery finish.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Heatmiser
Still Watching Your Rack

Trading: (1)
Heatmiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Taste is very subjective, but even so, you are the first I have ever heard, describe Ketel One as tasteless and void of aroma. Ketel One is kind of my go to Vodka, and I and many others I know, find it to offer a very intense mineral, flowery aroma, with very distinct flavors of smoke & licorice, with a light flowery finish.
These two have done fine for me in mixed drinks which is really the only time I will drink vodka. Me and a bunch of my buddies had a tasting of 18 different vodkas about a year ago. Our tasting was done straight with no ice and at room temperature. Ketel One and Tito's were the two that rose to the top for me over the others I tried which were: Jewel of Russia, Ciroc, Stoli Elite, Grey Goose, Effen, Smirnoff, Imperia, Hangar One, Chopin, Absolut, Belvedere, Blue Ice, Finlandia, Idol, Level, Pravda.

What other vodka would you recommend that is tasteless, reasonably priced and void of aroma?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatmiser View Post
These two have done fine for me in mixed drinks which is really the only time I will drink vodka. Me and a bunch of my buddies had a tasting of 18 different vodkas about a year ago. Our tasting was done straight with no ice and at room temperature. Ketel One and Tito's were the two that rose to the top for me over the others I tried which were: Jewel of Russia, Ciroc, Stoli Elite, Grey Goose, Effen, Smirnoff, Imperia, Hangar One, Chopin, Absolut, Belvedere, Blue Ice, Finlandia, Idol, Level, Pravda.

What other vodka would you recommend that is tasteless, reasonably priced and void of aroma?
That's a difficult question, at least for me, because when I sample a vodka for the first time or two and it offers no aroma and is virtually tasteless, I completely put it out of my mind. I prefer to drink vodka over ice or martini style.

I have tried most of the ones used in your tasting, but not all of them. The ones I really like are Jewel of Russia, Chopin, Blue Ice and Hanger One!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
perogee
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robert
Trading: (7)
perogee is on a distinguished road

So far my favorite is Banff Ice, but that may be because I am a sucker for local things
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I am not a big fan of vodka.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I am not a big fan of vodka.

hahahahahahahaha!!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

There is nothing other than Grey Goose, all others are wannabees
Posted via Mobile Device
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:

I hope you understand that, by posting this, you gave the Massholes some valuable information on their retaliation strike.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I respectfully disagree.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
No disrespect intended my friend, but you really need to get a life!!! LOL!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
havana_lover

Grey Goose isnt bad, one of the only vodka that I drink.. everyone other one I have tried tastes like hair spray in the aftertaste.. not good.. Blahhhh
Old 12-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by havana_lover View Post
Grey Goose isnt bad, one of the only vodka that I drink.. everyone other one I have tried tastes like hair spray in the aftertaste.. not good.. Blahhhh
Question, Oliver....how to you know what hair spray tastes like?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
MithShrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I hope you understand that, by posting this, you gave the Massholes some valuable information on their retaliation strike.
I sure hope they don't retaliate more than they already have... 23 cigars, a box of cookies, and a digital camera... I'm still rebuilding here man.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #17
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Try opulent, or Ciroc(made from grapeS) my 2 favs.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
I sure hope they don't retaliate more than they already have... 23 cigars, a box of cookies, and a digital camera... I'm still rebuilding here man.
I know them, the pain ain't over yet.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:13 AM   #19
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

Ciroc is a tasty alternative, I must say
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Heresy!!
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote