Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Lanks85
That's a paddlin'

First Name: Steve
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Lanks85 is on a distinguished road
Default Smokin' in the winter

Now that the winter months are upon us (well, in this part of Canada anyway) I have lost the desire to spark up any decent sized cigars as my hands are numb by the time I finish. I am wondering how others change their cigar behaviour (given that they aren't "allowed" to smoke inside and where they live has four seasons) during the winter months. Smoke less often, switch to smaller cigars, put on a winter survival suit???
Lanks85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Smokin' in the winter

I smoke inside I actually have to smoke inside it is the only way I can cover up my father-in-laws honey dutchamaster smell. sounds like you need a smoken shed
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Since this will be my first winter as a regular cigar smoker, I'm not sure how it will play out. Can't smoke inside, I do have a small barn, but any type of heater would be wasted as it's not insulated and wouldn't really hold any heat to speak of. I'm assuming my consumption is going to go way down and I'll likely have to go to the B&M to get any real enjoyment out of a stick.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Lanks85
That's a paddlin'

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
I smoke inside I actually have to smoke inside it is the only way I can cover up my father-in-laws honey dutchamaster smell. sounds like you need a smoken shed
A smoking shed would be ideal, but the closest thing I can come up with at this point is to set up the tent on the back deck. Not too sure I want to go down this root. Not very classy
Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Lanks85
That's a paddlin'

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Since this will be my first winter as a regular cigar smoker, I'm not sure how it will play out. Can't smoke inside, I do have a small barn, but any type of heater would be wasted as it's not insulated and wouldn't really hold any heat to speak of. I'm assuming my consumption is going to go way down and I'll likely have to go to the B&M to get any real enjoyment out of a stick.
Yeah this will be my first winter as well and I forsee my consumption going sown as well. Oh well, maybe it would be a good time to give my wallet a break

Oh, maybe try one of those parabolic heat dishes. They dont heat the surrounding air but provide heat through direct radiative heat transfer. It would probably keep you warm while you were smoking with the chickens and cows
Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

I'd take comfy over classy, but I know what you mean.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

poor chickens and cows with all that 2nd hand smoke
Old 11-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

Luckily I have a room, albeit small, that is well ventilated that I can retreat to. One night this fall I decided to hit the porch anyways, and had anyone seen me it would've looked pretty funny. Thick hooded sweatshirt, sweatpants, wool socks and a blanket lol. Comfy, but probably looked like a homeless guy.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Patio Heaters & Warm Coat, Outside; Garage Smoking With A Heater & Door Opened Slightly If It Gets "Really Cold" (32*)
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #10
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

I live in Florida, problem solved
Old 11-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #11
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I see myself going to the b&m more often, poor wifey.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Two words... heated garage.
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #13
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

In a few weeks I'll probably be switching over completely from cigars to pipes since I'm allowed to smoke my pipes inside(roommates find it much less offensive). I've been getting every last bit of the slightly bearable warmth we still have right now. Pop a jacket on and throw my snuggie over my legs and grab a seat on the front porch to smoke a couple. Also I've been going out while its still light outside of recent(~5pm) as opposed to 7 or 8 when I used to head outside. I don't mind sitting out in the cold to smoke a stick or two, but the problem is in my hands. I absolutely cannot stand having cold hands. I'm extremely double jointed in all my fingers, so when it gets cold they'll start locking up and pop at all the knuckles when I try to bend them, so I just never fully extend them and end up walking around with claws for hands.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #14
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I retreat to the garage usually. It's not too much trouble to bring out a good space heater and just crack the garage door. I enjoy smoking outside more but unless I get a good fire going on my back patio the garage is usually where most of my winter smoking occurs.
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Yep, Garage for me! I have a space heater or propane heater. I will, depending on the smoke, leave the door closed and open it from time to time.

I like to enjoy them in the garage over the balcony anyways, I have the TV set up.. with all my sh!t down there.. Either to relax or mess with something.

Wish I had a B&M to go to......
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #16
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Some friends and I built our own Smoking Lounge. No B&M within 50 miles and Minnesota Winters are not nice places to hang around outside in. We all pooled some cash and bought an old building downtown and converted part of it to a fantastic man cave. I liked it so much, I turned it into my office. The rest of the building is a "Film Society". Installed a sound system, 12 foot screens and projectors. We show movies 2 to 3 times a week. Watched Green Lantern last night.

This is the Smoking Lounge.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Dude that's awesome!!!! What do you do for a living Steve?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Dude that's awesome!!!! What do you do for a living Steve?
Thread JACK!!

I've got a small consulting company. Pretty distributed. Just me locally. I help business become profitable. Finance/accounting/staffing/marketing. Working with a local TV outfit right now. With any luck, one of their shows will get picked up for syndication.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #19
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Thread JACK!!

I've got a small consulting company. Pretty distributed. Just me locally. I help business become profitable. Finance/accounting/staffing/marketing. Working with a local TV outfit right now. With any luck, one of their shows will get picked up for syndication.
See my new tag? I thought it was appropriate.

Back to the thread now
Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Thread JACK!!

Scott the place looks great...not too fancy to smoke in, but cozy and warm for the winters! Great job!