Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do you think you know a lot about Cigars?

Nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #22
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I'll save folks the trouble of going to the link:

1) Many of you know I’m a BIG fan of corojo wrappers on my cigars, so with that being said, why is corojo grown under cheesecloth? Also, once past the seedling stage what other purpose does the cheesecloth serve in the tobacco’s growth?

2) Before cigars go into their molds prior to applying the wrapper, there is a specific bunching method used which is what inevitably defines the rolling technique for the cigar. In order of least complex to most complex, name the four major techniques.

3) Who is credited with being Europe’s first cigar roller and in what year did he claim to learn to properly roll a cigar from the Indians?

4) What major American political figure argued against a tobacco tax in 1794 because it would affect the poor the most? He called tobacco an “innocent gratification” and labeled it as something that should be enjoyed by those who wished to smoke.

5) What does the word cohiba mean in English and what is the story behind this famed Cuban brand?

6) Sir Winston Churchill has been in cigar news lately since a half-smoked cigar of his was just auctioned off for $7,000.00. He is an ironic historical figure and was known by all to be a cigar lover, but he was very careless with his smokes allowing them to often go out. Before re-lighting he would chew the ends mercilessly, but he did keep a candle around to re-light the sticks, which many times caused them to disintegrate. With that being said, Churchill actually invented a special protective paper for the foot of his cigars so he could still smoke them. What did he call this special paper??
Back on topic: I don't know any of the answers to these questions. I'd love to know the answers, but understand how posting them in open forum could be detrimental to someone's entry into the contest. Activate Google!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #23
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Nice review.

Have you been drinking again Greg?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post

Have you been drinking again Greg?

Nope, just tongue in cheek.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #25
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:

6) Sir Winston Churchill has been in cigar news lately since a half-smoked cigar of his was just auctioned off for $7,000.00. He is an ironic historical figure...
I hope this is just a typing error. Iconic, perhaps?
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #26
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Sorry, Tom. I'm all out of the small ones.
Maybe I can borrow a couple of your sponges to give to my gal-pal then, Peter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
This is rather troubling Tom......
Ar you familiar with Cerberus? The three headed dog?
We are related, Tim.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #27
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Pnoon, the CA prophylactic
Mark, this made me choke I laughed so hard.

Chris.....
Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #28
TheCigarChick

Okay, okay, okay...calm down.

Yes, the link to my homepage is of course misleading, but it's obvious many of you don't know me.

I am a professional tobacconist based out of New York City--the only female here!--where I do a lot of retail, marketing, events, etc. I've been featured and have written for a number of national and international cigar magazines as well as on the world wide web. Another love of mine in the tobacco industry is holding and hosting events, and I do that around the globe as well.

My main motive for holding cigar trivia contests is to get people who claim to love cigars to enhance their knowledge. If cigar smoking is something someone really enjoys it will only make their experiences better if they're more knowledgeable about what some say is a downright passion. The questions this time around were intentionally difficult because of the cigar sampler that will be given as the prize: all top-notch smokes, many of which are not available everywhere & one of which isn't even on the market and was given to me by the maker (Pepin).

So if you're interested go ahead and do a bit of research and give it a shot because you have nothing to lose.

Thanks,

Lindsay M. Heller
www.lindsayheller.com
@TheCigarChick on Twitter
Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Who is not calm?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #30
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Who is not calm?

WTF!

Lindsay - If you had bothered to read the thread closely you would have seen this earlier post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
No one is upset.

You are a newer member with very little involvement here. You have posted a link that is unrelated to the topic of cigars. It is understandable that the membership should be leery.

In retrospect, it might have been helpful to have posted this info in the first post.
As an administrator here, I take my responsibility seriously. And that includes protecting the membership from potentially harmful links.

But I do have one question for you. You stated in your post that "many of you don't know me". Can you tell me who here does? Just wondering.

Last edited by pnoon; 02-05-2010 at 02:17 PM.
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Who is not calm?
I'm guessing Lindsay
Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #32
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: JACK
FriendlyMan is on a distinguished road

Ok, I don't know her personelly but I do know about her. She is very well known in the Cigar industry in NYC and other places. I have been following her on twitter and was thinking this contest might interest someone. I think if we can have her on here it would be great because she can bring a lot with her. The thing is she dosn't know who I am and who posted her blog on here. I'm wondering who told here to come on here and respond.
I think the calm down thing was more like a, ok, I'm stepping in to clear things up no need to worry. She has no clue what this place is like. If the person who asked her to sign up can explain to her what a great place this is maybe sh'll be a regular?
FriendlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #33
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyMan View Post
She has no clue what this place is like.
That much is obvious.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #34
Vigiles
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (3)
Vigiles is on a distinguished road

Well this thread is taking some odd turns....
Vigiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #35
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigiles View Post
Well this thread is taking some odd turns....
Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #36
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'll save folks the trouble of going to the link:

1) Many of you know I’m a BIG fan of corojo wrappers on my cigars, so with that being said, why is corojo grown under cheesecloth? Also, once past the seedling stage what other purpose does the cheesecloth serve in the tobacco’s growth?

2) Before cigars go into their molds prior to applying the wrapper, there is a specific bunching method used which is what inevitably defines the rolling technique for the cigar. In order of least complex to most complex, name the four major techniques.

3) Who is credited with being Europe’s first cigar roller and in what year did he claim to learn to properly roll a cigar from the Indians?

4) What major American political figure argued against a tobacco tax in 1794 because it would affect the poor the most? He called tobacco an “innocent gratification” and labeled it as something that should be enjoyed by those who wished to smoke.

5) What does the word cohiba mean in English and what is the story behind this famed Cuban brand?

6) Sir Winston Churchill has been in cigar news lately since a half-smoked cigar of his was just auctioned off for $7,000.00. He is an ironic historical figure and was known by all to be a cigar lover, but he was very careless with his smokes allowing them to often go out. Before re-lighting he would chew the ends mercilessly, but he did keep a candle around to re-light the sticks, which many times caused them to disintegrate. With that being said, Churchill actually invented a special protective paper for the foot of his cigars so he could still smoke them. What did he call this special paper??
Oh, hell, I'll take a stab:

1. Cheesecloth is used to shade tobacco plants from harsh sun rays. Once harvested, cheesecloth is dropped and re-used as side-wall frame in next harvest. Corojo wrapper is tied to the cheesecloth frame to ensure it grows upright (and stronger).

2. Bunching methods. I thought there are 5, actually, any reason she is missing one? Anyway... In order of least complex to most complex:

Lieberman bunch, bunching technique used for machine rolled cigars
Book bunch
Accordion bunch
Entubado bunch, aka Entubar

There is also a Figurado (Hybrid) bunch - complexity wise on Entubado level and probably even more so, very intolerant to mistakes while bunching. Not sure why she has not included this method in her question unless she does not consider Lieberman bunch a "method".

3. Sir Walter Raleigh?

4. Alexander Hamilton's proposed tax package of 1794.

5. Cohiba is Taino Indians' word for tobacco plant. This is where I disagreed with a recent thread's premise and stated then and stating now that Cohiba, as a BRAND, was officially introduced in 1982, band, box and all.

6. Bellybando.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #37
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
3. Sir Walter Raleigh?

4. Alexander Hamilton's proposed tax package of 1794.
For #3 I got Rodrigo de Jerez in 1492. The person and the date were needed.

#4 is James Madison because it's the person whom argued against the proposal.

I got the rest of the answers pretty much the same as you though Greg.
Doesn't matter though because the answers needed to be emailed by 11AM EST to count. A few of those questions are very tricky. It was kinda fun searching for answers though and I think that was the entire point.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #38
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Hmmm... Rodrigo de Jerez was the first to TASTE tobacco in the New World, I thought the question was about the first ROLLER to introduce cigars to Europe?

Yep, I didn't read the question right, Madison is the one who opposed the tax, Hamilton introduced it.

Wasn't trying to win anything, just found the whole thing hilarious and same as someone above, questioned how any of this would make anyone enjoy cigars more. Didn't even go to the link provided.

I still find it strange that one bunching method didn't even make her list and it is an important one, IMO, as all machine made cigars, and there is a good number of them out there, are made with it. Do you know which 4 out of 5 the quiz expected?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #39
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Hmmm... Rodrigo de Jerez was the first to TASTE tobacco in the New World, I thought the question was about the first ROLLER to introduce cigars to Europe?

I still find it strange that one bunching method didn't even make her list and it is an important one, IMO, as all machine made cigars, and there is a good number of them out there, are made with it. Do you know which 4 out of 5 the quiz expected?
I came across both Jerez and Raleigh several places in tobacco history. In nearly every instance Jerez was the first to smoke tobacco and Raleigh introduced it to the Queen among other things. I never found anyone specifically credited for rolling properly cigar's but I assumed it must be Jerez since that is indeed what he was smoking. He was also arrested and held for seven years by the inquisition so he must have learned to roll them when he learned to smoke them. Whatever...

I also came across 5 rolling methods but the hybrid/figurado method was always "another" method whereas the first four are referred to as "the" rolling methods. I included the 5th one in my answer anyway.

It was fun searching for the answers and I hop to see thecigarchick's interpretation of the right answers soon.

By the way Greg, Raleigh was awesome, sort of.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #40
TheRiddick
Non-believer

I still have no idea what any of this have to do with smoking cigars. Very few wine drinkers know much about wine history, hell, even professional writers know little, and yet it doesn't stop anyone from enjoying cigars.

A quiz better tuned to cigar smokers would be like this:

1. Who was the good for nothing actor idiot to use children as ruse to raise taxes on tobacco products sold in Kalifornia in late 1990s? And where did the money go?

2. When Federal level SCHIP tax kicked in last year, similar to the one passed in Kalifornia in the '90s, why wasn't similar Kalifornia tax repealed? Are Kalifornia kids getting double the benefit now with 2 taxes "helping them out"? Where does the money go in both cases?

3. When marijuana growing and sales are legally approved in Kalifornia, what odds are there that someone in Sacramento's "think tank" (yeah, I know, a huge stretch of imagination) will find a way to tie in sale of tobacco products to marijuana sales to raise taxes on tobacco even higher? 5-1? 10-1? 50-1?