Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Nerachnia
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Partagas
Nerachnia is on a distinguished road
Default Starting a new collection.

So ok. My wife packed my humidors for the move...she packed them wrong. I unpacked my cigars and they were dryed out and brittle. Throw aways basically. Now the good news was i hadn't been buying for a while so there were only a few hundred smokes in the boxes. But they had a little bit of age on them ( like a year or two) Now i am smoking store bought almost the same day.

So now i have the oppurtunity to start my collection over. How would you do it on a budget and space issue. I have 4 smaller humidors (150 counts mainly) but not ones that fit a box fully intact. I would need to unpack it. Coolerdors are not available for purely aestetic purposes fro my wife.

The goal is two fold

a) Have cigars available for smoke immediately
b) begin building the collection to get back to smoking cigars with age

I don't smoke alot, maybe 3 cigars a week.
Nerachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Starting a new collection.

i've saved a few dry and brittle cigars, did you try saving them with some loving RH?
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

How long were they without rh? After recalibrating a hygrometer(digital I assume) load up a humi and take a reading. There is a good chance you can slowly bring them back. 5% rh at a time and let them sit for at least a week before going up another 5%. Unless they were extremely dry for a long period of time this should revive them. Let them sit for a month or two at 60-65% and them give them a try.

At the same time take this opportunity to load up a cooler with new smokes,
"Just in case"
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

At the rate you smoke go quality over quantity. From the sounds of it, you had alot of cigars that you for the most part don't seem at a loss for.

Get a box of Tat's, Illusiones or VSG's or Pepin Blacks for the high end.

Maybe a box of Punch Rare Corojo or Hoyo Dark Sumartas for more of an everyday smoke.

Work up from there. If you want more answers to this question you should list the kind that you liked or flavor profiles you enjoy.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Oliva, Padron, Gran Habano and Indian/Rocky brands are all good choices for quality at a fair price. As was previously indicated, the cigars that you now have can quite possibly be salvaged.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Mtmouse
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (10)
Mtmouse is on a distinguished road

Unless your move took a couple months, you should be able to nurse them back without issue.

Why would you trust your wife to pack your cigars?
Mtmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
tobii3

Huh?? Something fishy here
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerachnia View Post
I have 4 smaller humidors (150 counts mainly) but not ones that fit a box fully intact. I would need to unpack it.
Um... why would you try to put a cigar box inside a 150 count humidor?

As others have pointed out, your cigars are probably still salvageable. You got time to nurse them back, especially since you don't smoke very frequently.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Cigars are not as delicate as many think. The dry ones likely could be resuscitated with the TLC expalined above. No point in simply tossing a couple hundred smokes for dryness w/o trying to fix the problem.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Nerachnia
Still Watching My Back

Partagas
Nerachnia is on a distinguished road

Not looking for types to start with. I Know what i like i am more looking to style. Would you start with the 5ers or would you start with a box you like? Would you use it as an oppurtnity to go purely ISOM? Or would you stick with what you know?

The move took a month and the travel was 3k miles (NY to Seattle). The jostling of dry cigars did not do well with the travel. There were a few that were salvageable, mainly of the box pressed variety and a few in tubes or glass. I have been traveling back and forth to seattle for a month and my wife did 99% of the packing. Trust me its not that i am not upset its simply i have come to acceptence, there is nothing i can do about except for start a new.

So given a budget of say 300 a month. for say 6 months. Would you start with fivers? Start with a box? Would you go a cab of shorts? Do they smoke ok fresh? These are the types of things i am looking for answers with. Would you use the chance to go purely ISOM? Or would you combo it? Get a box of stuff you want to age and a fiver here or there to keep something smoking.?
Nerachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

I would definitely use the opportunity to go Cuban

Get a box of good, inexpensive Cuban cigars and a box of something you like. Then get 5ers of a bunch of stuff you also like but don't exactly need boxes of. Once you're established again, start experimenting with the Dark Side...
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

It seems like you already know what you like so why not start buying boxes. You can also check the WTS thread and get some good smokes from some fellow Inmates.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

try saving them...it sound like its not to late
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

if you know what you like, grab a couple boxes of those, and then get some fivers, try some habanos

your situation sounds like me, in that you don't smoke a ton. Don't waste your time with a lot of "budget" smokes (unless you enjoy them) for the sake of savings. Buy good smokes since you're not smoking 1 or more per day
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Stonewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerachnia View Post
Not looking for types to start with. I Know what i like i am more looking to style. Would you start with the 5ers or would you start with a box you like? Would you use it as an oppurtnity to go purely ISOM? Or would you stick with what you know?

The move took a month and the travel was 3k miles (NY to Seattle). The jostling of dry cigars did not do well with the travel. There were a few that were salvageable, mainly of the box pressed variety and a few in tubes or glass. I have been traveling back and forth to seattle for a month and my wife did 99% of the packing. Trust me its not that i am not upset its simply i have come to acceptence, there is nothing i can do about except for start a new.

So given a budget of say 300 a month. for say 6 months. Would you start with fivers? Start with a box? Would you go a cab of shorts? Do they smoke ok fresh? These are the types of things i am looking for answers with. Would you use the chance to go purely ISOM? Or would you combo it? Get a box of stuff you want to age and a fiver here or there to keep something smoking.?
Well I would say nobody can answer that question but you, you know what you like and what you want if you want to age some sticks and smoke some I guess my best answer would be buy a fiver and a box of the same cigar, smoke the fiver and start the aging process on the box with 300 a month for 6 months you have a nice budget there you should be able to get those humidors filled back up in no time unless you are going for all top shelf sticks, but even then you are going to be able to fill up that humidor by at lest one box a month less the very top shelf brand!!
Josh
Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
tobii3

I guess us Army guys are retarded or something.

We throw our cigar cases in COnEx's that take anywhere from 90 days or more to get back the US from Iraq....and our cigars survive that trip easily.

On another note, it only took us two days to transport the entire house from CA to NC.

I dunno. Good luck with your rebuilding!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
I guess us Army guys are retarded or something.
You think it really has anything to do with the Army???

Friggin window licker...
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Even at a month you should be good. I know there are times that I won't even crack my one humi for 3 to 4 weeks at a clip and never had an issue with the gars drying out. I'm with Tobii, maybe I am missing something but your sticks should not be that dry. I can understand damage during a move and is pretty much why when I moved to NC from NY, my humidors rode in the car and not the truck.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
I would definitely use the opportunity to go Cuban

Get a box of good, inexpensive Cuban cigars and a box of something you like. Then get 5ers of a bunch of stuff you also like but don't exactly need boxes of. Once you're established again, start experimenting with the Dark Side...

$$$

If you are starting over...start right. Start with some cheaper boxes of CC...Monte #5s. Party Shorts, PL Montecarlos, Boli PCs. You won't regret it...I promise.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #20
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

Start soon. The SCHIP tax starts in April.
The tax will add $8-$10 per box, so cheaper smokes
will see a larger percentage increase.

Chemyst
Chemyst is offline   Reply With Quote