Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mayweather - Ortiz 9/17/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
OMG, what a crazy ending. Ortiz was an idiot.
Shame on Ortiz. While I think what Floyd did was basically a cheap shot and not worthy of a "champion", Ortiz should never have put himself in that position. A touch of gloves and "I'm sorry" is plenty. Ortiz stood there like he wanted to continue the conversation, which Floyd summarily ended.

That is as close to "defending" Big Mouth as I will likely ever get. His post-fight interview with Merchant confiirmed for me what a POS he is. Nice way to duck what he knew was Larry's next question, "what about Manny?"

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Shame on Ortiz. While I think what Floyd did was basically a cheap shot and not worthy of a "champion", Ortiz should never have put himself in that position. A touch of gloves and "I'm sorry" is plenty. Ortiz stood there like he wanted to continue the conversation, which Floyd summarily ended.

That is as close to "defending" Big Mouth as I will likely ever get. His post-fight interview with Merchant confiirmed for me what a POS he is. Nice way to duck what he knew was Larry's next question, "what about Manny?"
The Merchant interview was classless. I don't like Merchant but there was no reason for it. What did Mayweather expect Merchant to come up there and say? "Good knockout, congrats on the championship, what are you going to do with the $40million you are going to get from the fight?". Merchant didn't help himself with his comment about being 50 years younger and kicking his a$$.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Larry had to defend himself somehow, Son.

Floyd just wants to thank God, and HBO, and Fiddy Cent, and Queen Elizabeth, blah, blah, blah....he doesn't want to be real.

I will gain some respect for him if he agrees to fight Pacquio next.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Nice way to duck what he knew was Larry's next question, "what about Manny?"

Get in the ring with the Apple shilling monster and then call your self the best.... Until then,......ummmmmmmmm
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #25
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I don't want to discredit FW.....he is a MONSTER..... But let's get in the ring and figure it out......
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #26
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

At this point he has to fight Pacquiao. There is no other fight. A rematch against Ortiz is a waste of time. I'm really hoping it happens.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #27
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

On the live 24/7, some boxing experts were mocking Floyd's idea that retiring undefeated will make him the greatest of all time. Ali lost 5 fights, and BM Floyd couldn't carry Ali's jock strap.

Fight the best....fight Manny, and Margarito, etc....then try to claim you're one of the best.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #28
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On the live 24/7, some boxing experts were mocking Floyd's idea that retiring undefeated will make him the greatest of all time. Ali lost 5 fights, and BM Floyd couldn't carry Ali's jock strap.

Fight the best....fight Manny, and Margarito, etc....then try to claim you're one of the best.
Agreed, being undefeated really doesn't do it in my book, if you dodge the 2-3 best fighters that you could fight. Its like hes got the voice of Micky from Rocky 3 in his head. "Nah, they wasn't setups. They was good fighters, but they wasn't killers like this guy. He'll knock you to tomorrow, Rock!"
I'm almost afraid though, if he is this big a douche now, could you imagine if he beat Pac Man? I almost shudder to think what we would have to listen too.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #29
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cikdy9R8PZk
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #30
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

If he beat PacMan I would live with his mouth and give him props. I know I am in the minority, but I haven't respected Mayweather since the Delahoya fight. If I was a judge, I would have gave the fight to Oscar. I thought Floyd ran the entire fight and he got the win to setup the PacMan fight that has never happened.
Just my thoughts.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I agree, Mike...if he beat Manny, at least there would be a reason for his big talk.

I have been a boxing fan my whole life, and right now Big Mouth isn't even close to being one of the Top 20 fighters af all time.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #32
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

I actually have to give some props to Merchant for that last comment. When you're that age and a younger pup tells you that, they way FM did, it's not unclassy to give such a response. It took balls to say that after Mayweather was bullying him through a legitimate interview.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #33
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Merchant is my hero of the day.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #34
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

I love watching fights. Sounds like I made the right call by not buying this one. Pac Man in two months.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #35
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
I love watching fights. Sounds like I made the right call by not buying this one. Pac Man in two months.
Actually it was pretty entertaining for what it was worth....of course, I only paid a $10 cover to see it.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #36
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

So, ah, I wonder what part of protect yourself at all times Ortiz didn't quite get?

And yeah, Floyd is still a putz. A badass, rich putz, but a putz all the same.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #37
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
His 41-0 record really means nothing towards his career until he fights Pacquiao.
Agree 100%. If he can beat Pacquiao I'll gladly tip my hat to him.
Quote:
To some degree he has dodged a lot of boxers. He should have fought De La Hoya and Mosley earlier in his career. But he fought Juan Manuel Márquez when he was ranked 2nd pound for pound, and dominated that fight. Hatton was not a cake walk.
Not to get into a pissing contest with you because that's truly not my intent, but Mayweather fought Marquez at a catch weight off 144 lbs. (which Maywether couldn't be bothered to even hit), Marquez was/is a lightweight. He'll fight Pacquiao in a couple of months at the same catch weight, so we'll be able to make another comparision there. We already know that what took Mayweather ten rounds to do against Hatton, It took a round and a half for Pacquiao.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #38
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

The ending to the fight was crazy, but I agree with Mayweather's justification for knocking him out the way he did. It is protect yourself at all time, and the referee did make the call for them to fight again. Mayweather obviously heard that and Ortiz did not. I didn't get how Ortiz kept wanting to apologize though.

One thought I had though is turn the table and ask yourself what if Mayweather headbutts Ortiz, then Ortiz knocks out Mayweather in the same manner. I would say the aftermath is a little bit different
Old 09-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #39
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The ending to the fight was crazy, but I agree with Mayweather's justification for knocking him out the way he did. It is protect yourself at all time, and the referee did make the call for them to fight again. Mayweather obviously heard that and Ortiz did not. I didn't get how Ortiz kept wanting to apologize though.

One thought I had though is turn the table and ask yourself what if Mayweather headbutts Ortiz, then Ortiz knocks out Mayweather in the same manner. I would say the aftermath is a little bit different
And rightfully so. Mayweather has done everything in his power to make himself disliked. People want to see him lose, so when he pulls garbage like this, it just gets magnified 10 fold. This was very much like the Steve Johnson hit on Eric Berry last week. It wasn't illegal, but it really clean.