Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
gijoey959

Default Questions about flying with cigars

So I am going to South Carolina over Thanksgiving, and I wanted to bring cigars. I just wanted to know how to do this, I am going to be sending my lighter ahead in the mail, and checking my cutter, but other than that I don't know how to keep em stable so I can still smoke them while I'm there.

Thanks ahead of time
Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Questions about flying with cigars

Cigar Caddy works good. If it is the small one without the pressure valve you might want to only latch one side.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

tupperware or you can buy a cigar travel case

keep the cigars with your carry on. No issues as long as its just cigars.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
tupperware or you can buy a cigar travel case

keep the cigars with your carry on. No issues as long as its just cigars.
Ziplocks will keep them from rolling around and the tupperware will protect them from being crushed.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
gijoey959

So ziploc inside a tupperwear? That's easy
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Why would you check your cutter? Cutters are allowed as a carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohib...s_10-24-07.pdf

For the hassle of shipping a lighter (which can be lost-after all, this is the USPS we're talking about), why not stop in a convenience store gas station and pick up a $5 or less torch lighter and leave the nice one at home?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

I always toss a couple (torch) lighters & cutter in the dopp kit inside the checked luggage. Never had a problem. We fly 3 to 5 times each year and I always carry-on cigars in anything from a zip-lock baggie to a number of travel humidors depending on how many . . . or how long we're going to be gone.

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!

Last edited by Stinky; 10-18-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

I bring lighters too, haven't had a problem. You can legally bring soft flame lighters, not torch... but I always bring the cheap Ronson torch lighters. If it gets taken, who cares.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Why would you check your cutter? Cutters are allowed as a carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohib...s_10-24-07.pdf

For the hassle of shipping a lighter (which can be lost-after all, this is the USPS we're talking about), why not stop in a convenience store gas station and pick up a $5 or less torch lighter and leave the nice one at home?
Yes, cutters can be carried on, but it is entirely up to the TSA screening agent as to whether they pass. If they deem it to be a possible weapon, they can confiscate it without question. Citing the rules will not get you past them. Why take the risk with a good cutter? If you are going to check a bag its easier to just toss it in.

While most lighters may pass the checked bag screening, they are illegal and can be confiscated. Again, no reason to take a chance with something nice. I usually travel with a cheap jet that I dont mind losing if it is found.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Yes, cutters can be carried on, but it is entirely up to the TSA screening agent as to whether they pass.
Yup...I've seen it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian
Citing the rules will not get you past them. Why take the risk with a good cutter? If you are going to check a bag its easier to just toss it in.
True again, even heard of people showing them a print copy of their own rules, to no avail. I won't risk my Palio, I just put in in a jeans pocket in my checked luggage.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #11
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

I like the caddies with the valve that's why they have a valve, My Nephew had to pry his without one open with a knife.

I also check lighters and cutters just cheap ones.
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
benedic08
Bob's great grandson

First Name: Benedic
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
benedic08 has a spectacular aura aboutbenedic08 has a spectacular aura about

I've been traveling internationally with my cigars a lot. What i do is put my cigars in my cigar caddy with the foam that comes with it so that the cigars dont move inside. I switched the original humidification device with a beads puck. I then stick my cigar caddy between my clothes in my check in luggage. As for cutter i always put it in my check in luggage. For the lighter i bring my cheap lighter and EMPTY IT then stick it in my check-in luggage. I just grab a small butane refill when i arrive at my destination. Always put everything in your check in luggage and make sure that lighter is empty.
My caddy, cutter, and lighter has been to a lot of different countries. No problems so far.
benedic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #13
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedic08 View Post
Always put everything in your check in luggage
I definitely don't agree that putting your cigars in the checked luggage is the best thing to do. I say do what you are most comfortable with, but I know from multiple people (and have read other stories) that cigars have been inspected and not repacked properly and also stolen. Security and baggage handlers have the freedom to do what they want with your luggage, why risk your good cigars?

I personally will always fly with my cigars in my carry-on.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #14
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

You can just mail your cigars in a caddy to where ever you are going. I often mail stuff that I cannot take there. Mostly Knives, I refuse to go anywhere without my Microtech Ultratech and Strider SMF.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
I definitely don't agree that putting your cigars in the checked luggage is the best thing to do. I say do what you are most comfortable with, but I know from multiple people (and have read other stories) that cigars have been inspected and not repacked properly and also stolen. Security and baggage handlers have the freedom to do what they want with your luggage, why risk your good cigars?

I personally will always fly with my cigars in my carry-on.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I roll each cigar in celophane and they stay perfect and are easy to take a single out with you for the night without worry.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #17
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I flew to Barcelona in September. I put a few cigars along with a cheap cutter and a cheap FULL torch lighter inside a travel case and then placed that in my checked luggage. I had no issues whatsoever.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #18
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
Trading: (0)
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

gijoey959

this is a good question with lots of good answers...not sure i can add much to this thread...except anecdotes.

i have lost...

a torch...my favorite at the time.(ft myers fla)

cutter...a cheapie from lcdh in cuba yet i had grown attatched to it in less than a week.(varadero cuba)

a soft flame "bic"...security said"you can only carry one on the plane , which one do you want to keep".(edmonton alberta)

these losses were always at airport security(not from checked luggage).
so now(for me)...everything goes into checked luggage.i guess its a matter of who you think is lazyest...the luggage x-ray guys or the security x-ray guys.

derrek
Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #19
itzfrank

Why not just pre-cut the cigars before the trip? Wouldn't you want to check them for a bad draw to begin with? Then there's no need for the cutter at all...
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
newlifetaxidermy

I always carry my cigars in a fancy gladware container in my carry on. Ziplocs would be a good idea, but I am usually not very rough with my carry on as I have a laptop in it as well. As for lighters, I bought a TSA approved case to put them in and they go into checked baggage. I think I paid around $8 for it with shipping on eBay...it is made by Zippo, but cannot remember what it is actually called. It is a canister with a foam insert and a sealing lid. You can carry empty torch lighters in these TSA approved cases. You will have to buy some butane when you reach your destination or do like "some guys I know" and stick a can in with your shaving kit and hope for the best. I always make sure I pack a cutter in my checked bag and have a cutter and soft flame (bic type) lighter with me on the plane in case my luggage is lost.