Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #281
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
I so want to give a few opinions, but don't want to give anything anything away for those who didn't see last night.
Change the text color to a light tan, so people have to select it it read it....I would love to hear your thoughts.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #282
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Change the text color to a light tan, so people have to select it it read it....I would love to hear your thoughts.
OK...my thoughts...

As for the bodies that were shown at the end of the episode in Winterfell by Theon, I think they were the bodies of the two orphans that Bran and Rickon had mentioned were at the farm. I think that if it was Bran and Rickon, the bodies of Osha and Hodor would be seen, too. Speaking of Osha...damn nice to see what she's been hiding under those dirty clothes..she's got a rockin' bod.

As for the wildling that Jon Snow had captured, you had to know she was leading him back to the rest of her clan. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him with the wildling clan.

I was surprised as hell at the happenings in Qarth. Didn't see that slaughter coming. Wow! honestly, I'd like to see her get the dragons back. I have a feeling that if/when she does, there will be hell to pay.

I'm not sure what he's got up his sleeve, but I like what the half-hand has been doing. I like him standing up for Sansa and wanting someone to go get her. I don't quite get what's up with Sandor. Does he have a conscience or not? His comment that he's the only thing between Joffrey and her to Sansa made me rethink his character. It was interesting to see Cersei's take on Joffrey. She's obviously overly power hungry, with he saying she's never been able to control Joffrey, yet ensuring he ascends to the throne.

And Arya being in service to Tywin could prove an advantage to Robb. I wonder what will happen if Tywin asks any more questions about her background. I wonder how much she'll be able to come up with to placate him. I wonder who she has killed for her 3rd choice.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #283
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

^^ All good points
Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #284
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I thought Season 1 followed the book pretty well -- Season 2? Not so much. I understand why, but I can't say I love some of the directions they're going with a few of the story lines.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #285
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

No spoilers but....after tonights episode, is it me or does anyone have a bit of a time following the characters and remembering their names? I really don't know the names of half of the usually mentioned characters.

Clearly they are compacting A LOT of characters into a short 10 episode season, which I don't understand. This is a BIG show and for it to only have 10 episodes in a season really makes it hard to follow. There are many key characters getting less than 2 minutes per show or sometimes completely missing from episodes. (Tonights example Sansa Stark). One could also argue over Daenerys Targaryen's mere 90 seconds of screen time if that.

Tonight's episode seemed like filler, we all know what we wanted to see happen and it just didn't. They messed around too much and B.S'd their way through spending time pointing out the obvious.

This show needs like 15-18 episodes per season.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #286
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I liken this show to LOST in a lot of ways. You CAN'T take away the sheer majesty and scope of the show, and it
is nicely done, but it's almost like they are suckering you in for a payoff that never comes. Its really not as bad as
Lost was for that, but it's at least as bad as 5-6 episodes of Greene Family Farm-Walking Dead.

That said, I am two episodes behind, so I take care of that tonight.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #287
OLS
Suck It

I'll tell you what, Wanger, the 2nd person Arya had killed MIGHT be the coolest thing I have seen on that show to date!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #288
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
No spoilers but....after tonights episode, is it me or does anyone have a bit of a time following the characters and remembering their names? I really don't know the names of half of the usually mentioned characters. .
Try this out, Bill, it's helpful

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season1/

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/season2/

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of.../guide/houses/
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #289
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

Quote:
I liken this show to LOST in a lot of ways. You CAN'T take away the sheer majesty and scope of the show, and it
is nicely done, but it's almost like they are suckering you in for a payoff that never comes. Its really not as bad as
Lost was for that, but it's at least as bad as 5-6 episodes of Greene Family Farm-Walking Dead.

They are doing a good job of mimicking the books then because that is exactly how the books come off to me. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger with very little ever really happening. I am on the last fourth of book five and while there are some exciting things that happen, most of the books seem like filler with these epic cliffhangers that hardly ever turn out to be anything special.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #290
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Quote:
No spoilers but....after tonights episode, is it me or does anyone have a bit of a time following the characters and remembering their names? I really don't know the names of half of the usually mentioned characters.

Clearly they are compacting A LOT of characters into a short 10 episode season, which I don't understand. This is a BIG show and for it to only have 10 episodes in a season really makes it hard to follow. There are many key characters getting less than 2 minutes per show or sometimes completely missing from episodes. (Tonights example Sansa Stark). One could also argue over Daenerys Targaryen's mere 90 seconds of screen time if that.

Tonight's episode seemed like filler, we all know what we wanted to see happen and it just didn't. They messed around too much and B.S'd their way through spending time pointing out the obvious.

This show needs like 15-18 episodes per season.
You should read the books... the show is like a vacation in that regard... they left out at least 50% of characters that have an impact in the book. Seriously, while the show has a lot, the book is crazy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
They are doing a good job of mimicking the books then because that is exactly how the books come off to me. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger with very little ever really happening. I am on the last fourth of book five and while there are some exciting things that happen, most of the books seem like filler with these epic cliffhangers that hardly ever turn out to be anything special.
2 more books in production... though I'm not sure when they are slated to drop. Hopefully the gap isn't as long as between 4 and 5 (5 years, I believe?). My other hope is that some of these questions will be answered... I wonder what is significant and what just simply is what it is because that's how it is.

I'm about a third of the way through book 5 myself.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #291
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
is nicely done, but it's almost like they are suckering you in for a payoff that never comes.
Its really not as bad as

Yeah I agree, it's a huge show of epic proportions. Which is why I don't understand the 10 episodes per season and wasting precious time with filler. They really have so little time to deal with and evolve the characters. They really need 14-18 shows per season IMHO. It just doesn't feel right sometimes, like right when it gets interesting it's over. Which is pretty much exactly what you were saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
You should read the books... the show is like a vacation in that regard... they left out at least 50% of characters that have an impact in the book. Seriously, while the show has a lot, the book is crazy with it.
Yeah that's what I have been told. I might look into it. Not really a big reader though.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #292
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
Yeah that's what I have been told. I might look into it. Not really a big reader though.
Audiobooks FTW! Ray Dotrice does a great job reading them... he's very engaging.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #293
OLS
Suck It

Well I caught up last night and watched S-02 E-7&8 all in one shot and I was more concious than ever before of
this hopping around. Far be it for me to tell them how to tell their story, and I am still enjoying it, but AGAIN,
I long for the simplicity of the first season and how I never felt antsy about moving forward. I will watch with
little complaint, though, it's good stuff. And there ARE a lot of kings vying for the throne, so I guess you need
to deal with it all. This Danaerys thing is looking like a no-win situation, but on the upside, I think John Snow is
going to dip into the red menace. Me likee.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #294
OLS
Suck It

AHHHHHHH-HA!

Now I know why the red-headed wildling gives me a such a shiver up me bone.

First, I like a pretty redhead to begin with, second the accent KILLS ME, and
third, DUH, she is from Downton Abbey!!! I can spot a familiar face SO FAST,
but I can never place it. Thank goodness for IMDB.

Last edited by OLS; 05-22-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #295
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Very much a filler episode. Although I agree w/Brad, we need some more redhead action
Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #296
OLS
Suck It

That reminds me of another thing this show is doing for me....

Granted, they are dirty, a lot of em, but they have offbeat lookers in every class.
You have the wildling that just took it all off last month,
You have the hot wildling redhead,
You have the hot iron-born princess, who while not strictly hot, is certainly worth
looking at in a medieval sort of way.

All of em are erotically charged in their own, dirty, "I wonder what's going on under that goatskin" kind of way..

And of course, there is lady Stark's new bodyguard, for a 7 footer, man is she hot, lol.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #297
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
And of course, there is lady Stark's new bodyguard, for a 7 footer, man is she hot, lol.

Gwendoline Christie when she's not all Brienne'd out... not a 10 or anything, but much better.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #298
OLS
Suck It

And again, the offbeat woman is the best kind to me.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #299
kickerb

A lot of people keep telling me that the show will have its first real battle scene. They won't be skipping them like all the others.

What are people's expectations for the battle at Blackwater?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #300
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
A lot of people keep telling me that the show will have its first real battle scene. They won't be skipping them like all the others.

What are people's expectations for the battle at Blackwater?
Allegedly, they spent 15% of their entire season budget on the last episode for Blackwater.

So I'm expecting some epic ass kicking battle scenes.