Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Saison by Oliva

Construction
-Not beautiful cigar, lots of veins, a toothy wrapper, but it isn’t a delicate cigar. Nice and sturdy. The cap is especially sloppy, looks like a double cap.
Pre Light Draw
-Very smooth straight tobacco flavor, hint of pepper
First Light
-Smooth pepper, just a hint of spice for a short time. Very thick smoke
First Third (paired with diet coke lime)
-Tons of smoke, hay flavors (slightly sweet, but not in a sugary way), Smoke off the foot is almost constant, very straight burn. The first ash fell off after about a quarter. Sweetness picks up a bit, and the pepper from inital light is almost all the way gone.
Second Third
-Flavors getting a bit harsh, but after a purge a nuttiness comes through. The sweetness that was around has been replaced with the nuttiness. There was a few minutes where the draw was suddenly extremely loose. Very strange. In this third it must be smoked slow or it goes very harsh, very quick, but you’re rewarded with a sweet nutty flavor if you are careful.
Final Third
-Smoke production is excellent, ramped up on this third. Able to smoke a bit hotter/faster now without losing the flavors. Flavors coming on stronger here, harshness isn’t building, only the good sweet nuttiness. Ash is still very weak, falls off every quarter inch.
Overall
-Decent Smoke, may get better the longer I leave it in the humi, great flavor when it was there. First third and final third were the best. Which makes it a bummer because you have to sit through a meh middle. But for a $5 stick it wasn’t bad. (I got them a bit lower on Cbid)
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Saison by Oliva

Nice review, thanks!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
spacemonkeyjon
Just in from the Storm

First Name: jon
Trading: (0)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
spacemonkeyjon is on a distinguished road

thanks. might need to take one out of the humi tonight
spacemonkeyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I have had this stick and liked it... not loved it..
Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
Flynnster

That's about where I am czerbe. Not something I'll reach for but i'm intrigued to see how they take to some age?
Old 10-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review. I hope you don't mind my hoping about here and adding another perspective. Everybody's tastes are different, and I think it is cool that each of us can have different things strike us about particular smokes.

So, I found your thoughts to be a very interesting take. I thought the wrapper was kind of cool, as the veins, while prominent, were lighter than the rest of the wrapper - a very unique effect to the eye. And the double cap seemed fairly well applied (I took a moment here to go look at a couple from the humidor)

I will agree with this cigar initially being flavors of hay, but I also have found cedar, spice, and a very nice sweetness at the beginning. As it develops, I find caramel, cedar, and light spice are the identifiable flavors along with rich tobacco. There is also complexity here that makes this cigar immensely enjoyable. I like the fact that the interplay of some of the flavors I have not been able to put my finger on exactly, is subtle and enjoyable.

It is definitely Nicaraguan, and surely an Oliva product. If anything, it comes off as being a bit reminiscent of a SerieV.

All in all, this is a great smoke. I really enjoy the fact that it is complex, flavors changing up constantly, while remaining in profile. I found these good enough that I ordered a whole box of them.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 10-09-2014 at 01:19 PM.
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
cigarmarine
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: lashun
Trading: (2)
MarineCorps
cigarmarine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post

Construction
-Not beautiful cigar, lots of veins, a toothy wrapper, but it isn’t a delicate cigar. Nice and sturdy. The cap is especially sloppy, looks like a double cap.
Pre Light Draw
-Very smooth straight tobacco flavor, hint of pepper
First Light
-Smooth pepper, just a hint of spice for a short time. Very thick smoke
First Third (paired with diet coke lime)
-Tons of smoke, hay flavors (slightly sweet, but not in a sugary way), Smoke off the foot is almost constant, very straight burn. The first ash fell off after about a quarter. Sweetness picks up a bit, and the pepper from inital light is almost all the way gone.
Second Third
-Flavors getting a bit harsh, but after a purge a nuttiness comes through. The sweetness that was around has been replaced with the nuttiness. There was a few minutes where the draw was suddenly extremely loose. Very strange. In this third it must be smoked slow or it goes very harsh, very quick, but you’re rewarded with a sweet nutty flavor if you are careful.
Final Third
-Smoke production is excellent, ramped up on this third. Able to smoke a bit hotter/faster now without losing the flavors. Flavors coming on stronger here, harshness isn’t building, only the good sweet nuttiness. Ash is still very weak, falls off every quarter inch.
Overall
-Decent Smoke, may get better the longer I leave it in the humi, great flavor when it was there. First third and final third were the best. Which makes it a bummer because you have to sit through a meh middle. But for a $5 stick it wasn’t bad. (I got them a bit lower on Cbid)
ill be looking for this one soon
cigarmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Flynnster

Nice Rev! It is great to see other views. One question for you, did yours have a real weak ash on it?
Old 10-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
Nice Rev! It is great to see other views. One question for you, did yours have a real weak ash on it?
I have smoked about 10 of these (about 6 before my own box, and 4 since then). Might there have been one with a weak ash? I simply do not remember. I know I couldn't keep a 2+ inch ash, because those I remember. But this did not stick out as one which was a problem because it fell too early.

Peace of the Lord be with you.