Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
badbriar

Default La Antiquedad

Short review on My Father La Antiguedad in Robusto size, 5.25 x 52. Nice milk chocolate colored nearly flawless wrapper with faint earthy pre-light aroma. Toasting went well and the burn proceeded throughout the smoke in a razor sharp manner without any assistance needed. Everything about this stick went perfectly! Excellent draw with just the right amount of resistance and tons of light gray aromatic smoke! To put this in perspective, my friend thought I had something like a blonde Undercrown or maybe a bleached DE No. 9! This little beast just wouldn't go out and the smoke lasted nearly 75 minutes. I like to smell the barrel of good cigars after they are well heated and this stick was a really good one! Flavors - just flat damn good! Very smooth right from the start with mild cocoa, nuts and vanilla notes. Good tobacco flavors with a touch of cedar and a good deal of changes and complexity, combined with a creamy silky smooth smoking experience. Honestly, the smoothest cigar I've run across. Interesting that I did not detect any of the DPG pepper blast, but that's a good thing in this cigar. Liked this blend from Garcia very much. Despite the fact that this seems to me to be a medium strength stick and my preference for stronger cigars, will absolutely consider this a regular stock cigar in the rotation. IMHO, one of the best cigars I've ever had. Highly recommended.

Last edited by badbriar; 08-25-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough
Default Re: La Antiquedad

Nice review! I've got one of these in the cooler now. It may not survive the week after reading this. How does it compare to the Flor de las Antillas?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Nice review Rob, never seen them but a search shows a lot of backorder, must be good!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:36 AM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review! The Toro is a treat!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I had one of these, and I will have to pick up a few more to make a full opinion but I think it was good not great and the Flor de las Antillas? was much better
Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerbe View Post
I had one of these, and I will have to pick up a few more to make a full opinion but I think it was good not great and the Flor de las Antillas? was much better
Interesting... IMHO, I found the La Antiguidad to be a MUCH tastier cigar and smoother. Goes to show that everyone has different tastes!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

These are really good. I had a toro single at my local, and like Rob said, I didn't get the trademark Pepin pepper blast either, but the enjoyable cocoa creaminess more than made up for it.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I just lit up one of their corona grande sizes (6.38 X 47). I'm pretty impressed so far with it.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo View Post
These are really good. I had a toro single at my local, and like Rob said, I didn't get the trademark Pepin pepper blast either, but the enjoyable cocoa creaminess more than made up for it.
Yeah me too, but retrohaling it made me sneeze twice in a row anyway.