Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough
Default On the last straw with my humidors

I have a couple 50ct humidors (one glasstop) that I got with the Cigar.com and CI deals last year when I got into cigars.

For the last couple months I have not been able to get them to hold humidity. It's odd because they were both perfect (around 65%) and now both of them are in the low 50's. I have tried leaving a bowl of distilled water in them for a week, they hold around 65-70% for a day and then drop back down.

Today I was fed up and decided to wipe them both down with a sponge of distilled water, not really caring at this point. It appears that not long after I wipe the wood down, it lightens back to the original color as if it wasn't damp or absorbing the water.

Any ideas?

I just ordered a hygrometer calibration bag to double check but both of them were purchased at different times and both read within 1% of each other. They are Caliber III's.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: On the last straw with my humidors

Are you sure they are air tight? The glass top ones are notorious for not holding humidity.

Also, if they are in a warm part of your house (i.e. direct sunlight) that could have an effect on losing humidity.

What are you using as your humidification device? It is more than just putting distilled in and letting it soak in...you have to have something that actively humidifies as time goes otherwise they will dry.

my suggestion...go to a cooler, my desktop (cheapy) sucked, and i figured why spend the money on a good one when i want those funds for smokes...switched to a cooler 1 1/2 years ago and have had no problems at all.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough

Just out of curiosity is the humi made of Spanish cedar with no finish? Maybe the wood has something on it which will not let it absorb water. Also, try light checking the humi with a small flashlight inside of it, closed in a dark room.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Are you using a digital hygrometer?
big pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like your Hygrometer lost its calibration.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

First Name: Keith
Trading: (3)
shibby4781 is on a distinguished road

I just went through something like this with my 2 glass top ones. I recalibrated my digital hygrometers using small 72% Boveda packs and replaced the batteries. Then recharged my humidors by lightly wiping them down then a small bowl of distilled water went in for 12 days. One held perfectly the other dropped into the low 60's high 50's. The one that dropped I was using a Crystal Gel Humidity Bead Jar. I threw a 75% Boveda pack in it and we are now on target at around 68-70% (I really think it needs a another one). I have tried every freaking humidity divice trying to find the right ones. As others will tell you here, Beads and Boveda packs are the way to go! Don't let it get you down! It drove me nuts and almost ruined the hobby for me. Like chaase321 mentioned, go with plastic. I have a lot stored in tupperware. Doesn't look too pretty but no muss and definitely no fuss!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Eliminate leaks, properly season and GET Beads from CigarNut.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Try changing the batteries in your hydros and recalibrate them. I do mine twice a year when I change them in my smoke detectors. Like Jared said, get some beads either from CigarNut or heartfelt.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

A couple options:
- Remove the cigars from the humidor and get some 100% silicone sealant, and apply it around the glass on the outside of the humidor. It will smell like vinegar. Give it 2-3 days to dry until it no longer has an odor.
- Season the humidor by wiping the inside with a paper towel soaked in distilled water and give it another day.
- Use Boveda packs to maintain humidity along with a standard humidifier sponge or gel. They work two ways, so you will always have a constant level.

Or, get a cooler or big cigar jar. I use two huge coolers for storage and they have held humidity for over a year!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

I just found it weird that they both basically mirrored each other. Two separate humidors, two separate hygrometers, same humidification devices. I use the Drymistat tubes which worked fine for the longest time, but even two of those, with a gel jar still will not hold humidity.

We'll see what happens over the next 24hrs after wiping them down. Sunlight may have played a slight factor, and I forgot about the flashlight trick so I'll give that a shot.

The hygrometers are Caliber III's which cannot be calibrated but were dead on out of the box. I ordered another Boveda 75% calibration bag so I'll check the hygrometers for the heck of it this week.

As of right now my cigars will stay in tupperware and ziplock bags I guess. Do you guys place your humidors in the cooler or use only the cooler? Unfortunately, our guest room is normally the only room in the house with temperatures capable of maintaining cigars without a $250 electric bill. It's comfortable upstairs for me, but the hygrometer reads 80 degrees so I'm forced to keep the humidors downstairs and out of sight. That being said, looks aren't an issue so I might look into a cooler. How well does the cooler help in keeping temps down in a warm house?

I have about 40-50 traditional smokes, and about 10-12 infused.

I am unsure of the finish but these are the humidors. They worked well for a few months and then both of them just went to crap a while back.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...t=white%20tail
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-SH40-1 (this was the "Yukon" humidor in the sampler I believe)

Last edited by Sonic04GT; 09-19-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Eliminate leaks, properly season and GET Beads from CigarNut.
This. Get beads, sell your hygrometers.

I have 5-6 hygros around somewhere; I don't even use them anymore (3 vinotemp-type fridges) except when I get a wild hair every 5 years or so, mostly just to satisfy my Virgo nature.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Just a thought: How old are the Caliber hygrometers? If they are more than 6 months old try replacing the batteries -- the hygrometers' calibration is maintained by the battery. When the batteries age the calibration degrades.

I got a bunch of batteries cheap and I change my hygrometer batteries every 3 months just to be safe...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Just a thought: How old are the Caliber hygrometers? If they are more than 6 months old try replacing the batteries -- the hygrometers' calibration is maintained by the battery. When the batteries age the calibration degrades.

I got a bunch of batteries cheap and I change my hygrometer batteries every 3 months just to be safe...
Actually, now that I think of it. I tried replacing the battery in one with no improvement, so I just put the old one back one. No difference.

Will confirm with the calibration bag that will be here this weekend. Put them in my old calibration bag that "expired" in December and they were reading 78-80%.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #15
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Checked both humidors. The glasstop one I wiped down only, no humidification device was left inside it. Hours later it was back down to around 60%. The regular one I left the sponge inside sitting on a plastic bag and that was reading around 81% so we'll see how it fairs over a few days.

The glasstop one was only being used to hold my infused sticks anyway, but would be nice to have them both functional.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

I'm going to take a wild assed guess that's yet to be put forth. We can tell from the data you provided us that they are not holding humidity as well as they should. I see that you live in south Fla. Has the weather gotten (relatively) cooler lately. I ask because at the height of heat, your AC is cooling and trying to keep up. As temperature drops a bit, your AC becomes essentially a giant dehumidifier.

If the above is the case, I would argue that this is no surprise. I would also add that if they are truly 50-60% for any length of time, this will not harm the sticks. Just relax and stop fighting nature.

If the above is not true, I just made my arthritic finger hurt for nothing.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
KillerCelt
Alliteration is key

First Name: Adam
Trading: (1)
KillerCelt is on a distinguished road

I used to have this problem all of the time. It made me so frustrated that I switched to a Vinotemp and use beads. I have never looked back since
Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
I'm going to take a wild assed guess that's yet to be put forth. We can tell from the data you provided us that they are not holding humidity as well as they should. I see that you live in south Fla. Has the weather gotten (relatively) cooler lately. I ask because at the height of heat, your AC is cooling and trying to keep up. As temperature drops a bit, your AC becomes essentially a giant dehumidifier.

If the above is the case, I would argue that this is no surprise. I would also add that if they are truly 50-60% for any length of time, this will not harm the sticks. Just relax and stop fighting nature.

If the above is not true, I just made my arthritic finger hurt for nothing.
I was wondering if it had anything to do with some kind of environmental situation inside my house. That being the reason I found it weird that both humidors were fine and now they mirror each other in a failing aspect. Granted this has been going on for a few months now.

The regular one was still holding 80% with the sponge inside. Going to take it out in a few days and hopefully I can at least hold most of my cigars in there, and keep the infused in a tupperware.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #19
Catfishbluezz
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Dustin
HUpmann
Catfishbluezz is on a distinguished road

+1 on beads, I use heartfelt. You might need to reseason, had this issue once when I moved. Not a fan of the wipedown honestly, I just reseason end an old humi and it took 3 days of siting some dishes with distilled in it.
Catfishbluezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCelt View Post
I used to have this problem all of the time. It made me so frustrated that I switched to a Vinotemp and use beads. I have never looked back since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfishbluezz View Post
+1 on beads, I use heartfelt. You might need to reseason, had this issue once when I moved. Not a fan of the wipedown honestly, I just reseason end an old humi and it took 3 days of siting some dishes with distilled in it.
Beads are The Way.