Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #301
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all
Default Re: iPhone 5

I have the 4 and was looking at the 5 but don't like the idea of having to replace all my current apple charges........is there a big difference between the 4 & 4S
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #302
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Between the 4s and 4, there are a couple changes. If you have an upgrade sitting around, and want to move up, get a 4s for $99.

BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #303
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkbyt View Post
I have the 4 and was looking at the 5 but don't like the idea of having to replace all my current apple charges........is there a big difference between the 4 & 4S
In my opinion, not enough changes worth upgrading for.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #304
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Is this because your carrier will charge you for additional services as part of the upgrade?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #305
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
In my opinion, not enough changes worth upgrading for.
By all means, if you're happy with what you have, leave well enough alone.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #306
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Got Mine Yesterday! Running Great & So Much Faster Than My Old "3"!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #307
Justinphilly

Quote:
$19 adaptor will fix that problem. There probably are a few aftermarket ones available on eBay or amazon that are even cheaper. I agree that Apple shouldn't have done this, but to me it wouldn't deter me from the 5. I am definitely not implying that you are one of these people but alot of the people that are complaining about the new charging/syncing port are just haters who want to bash Apple. I've had the iPhone since the first one, so I have collected a lot of chargers. My question is, how often have you upgraded any cell phone and NOT had to buy new chargers?

btw, this link will help you compare iPhones

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/
Old 10-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #308
Justinphilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Got Mine Yesterday! Running Great & So Much Faster Than My Old "3"!
This is a screenshot of the speed test I did last week. The bottom as you can see is while on my home wifi (Comcast High speed Internet). The top is on the iPhone 5's 4g LTE. AS you can see, ridiculous speeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.9 KB, 201 views)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #309
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinphilly View Post
My question is, how often have you upgraded any cell phone and NOT had to buy new chargers?[/url]
Considering pretty much every other smart phone thats been available for years charges off a microUSB cable, only iPhone people are having to buy new chargers... Europe has standardized on micro USB, so I'm curious to see what they say\do about Apple.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #310
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
Considering pretty much every other smart phone thats been available for years charges off a microUSB cable, only iPhone people are having to buy new chargers... Europe has standardized on micro USB, so I'm curious to see what they say\do about Apple.
Same way they complied with it for the 30-pin connector, they have a lightning/microUSB adapter.

The EU standard has been in place for 2-3 years, and I'd say the trend towards a microUSB standard is around 4-5 years old. The old 30-pin connector, as I think I may have mentioned earlier in this thread, is around 10 years old.

I do not know why Apple didn't chose to switch to microUSB, but the switch to something was going to happen regardless, and people would have needed to buy new chargers either way. A smaller connector was needed to clear up room inside the phone and not make it bigger.

Unless you only need one charger and don't have any accessories like an iHome or something, Then you don't need to buy anything extra.

Last edited by King James; 10-03-2012 at 07:38 AM.
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #311
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

So who with their new iPhone is keeping it naked versus getting a case?

I've always been anti-cases for phones, but did use the bumpers on the last one because of the entire glass phone. For the 5, however, I'm going back to my old ways.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #312
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I picked up a bumper for mine rather than a case. I like the bumpers and have not had a problem and they do not add a lot of extra size or heft to the phone.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #313
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I've always been anti-cases for phones, but did use the bumpers on the last one because of the entire glass phone. For the 5, however, I'm going back to my old ways.
I haven't picked up a 5 yet but when I do it will be going in an otterbox. I have 2 small children and my 3Gs has survived them because of the otterbox so I'll be taking no chances with the 5.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #314
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:

I Got The Zagg Invisible Shield HD Screen Protector For The Front & Griffin Clear Back Case From Best Buy To Protect The Rear & Sides Of The Phone. I Like It Much Better Than My Otterbox. Beautiful Clear Screen!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #315
Robulous78

Quote:

Well you certainly are the risk taker... Best of luck, and may I suggest getting the insurance if your plan to rock your Iphone without protection? its a good idea... Trust me...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #316
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Here is an article that somewhat reflects why I don't like a case. However, I wouldn't use as "direct" of language about it (lol) and I don't have the same negative attitude towards people that do use a case, I just don't like them and choose not to.

link
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #317
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Here is an article that somewhat reflects why I don't like a case. However, I wouldn't use as "direct" of language about it (lol) and I don't have the same negative attitude towards people that do use a case, I just don't like them and choose not to.

link
Pretty funny article and he does make some good points.... I think cases these days are more a statement than a protection device....

Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #318
CigarDojo

My iPhone 5 is supposed to show up today according to UPS tracking. Can't wait!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #319
Robulous78

Quote:
The only differences that I know of between the 4 and the 4S is the addition of Siri and a higher mega-pixel camera...
Old 10-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #320
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
The only differences that I know of between the 4 and the 4S is the addition of Siri and a higher mega-pixel camera...
4S has a faster chip, bluetooth 4.0, and facetime over both wifi and 3G as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Pretty funny article and he does make some good points.... I think cases these days are more a statement than a protection device....
I agree with the points he makes in general, but it does not bother me in the least to see an iPhone in a case.