Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Basic Coffee Recommendations?

Good Morning, All! I Recently Purchased A Highly Recommended Technivorm Moccamaster & I Can Not Get A Decent Cup Of Coffee! I've Tried Different Brands, Recommended Amounts Of 1-2 Tablespoons Of Coffee Per Ounce Of Filtered Water, Etc. & Nothing Seems To Taste Good. I Ordered Some Uncle Beanz Coffee, Hoping That Will Taste Better. All I Want Is A Smooth, Non-Bitter, Flavorful Cup Of Coffee! I Have My Own Baratza Encore Grinder Which I Grind Up A Week's Worth Of Coffee & Store It In A Airtight "CoffeeVac". Any Recommendations For A Blend Of Coffee I Can Readily Get At The Grocery Store? Thanks!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Basic Coffee Recommendations?

How is the coffee coming out, Greg? Maybe it has nothing to do with the beans and something is wrong with the machine or the dosing.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You should grind coffee before brewing, not a week in advance.

Try adding a pinch of salt to ground coffee in the filter before brewing.

There's no real secret to brewing in drip pot. All you can do is adjust the amount of coffee, the grind, or both.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I actually don't mind dunkin donuts coffee from the supermarket. I used to only drink Folgers out of the drip machine. Now I've found I really like Ethiopian yiracheffe (sp).

Does the coffee you're making just taste like the stuff you've been drinking before? Or is it worse? I agree it could be a dosing issue. Do you own a digital kitchen scale? I can't recall what amount is "proper" for a machine, and I only eyeball it in the French press now.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
You should grind coffee before brewing, not a week in advance.

There's no real secret to brewing in drip pot. All you can do is adjust the amount of coffee, the grind, or both.
What does that do?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thanks For The Replies, Christos, Moses, & Peter. I Tried The Recommended Amount Of 60Gm. Of Coffee / Liter & It Was Way To Strong. When I Use 1/2 That Amount It Tastes Like Muddy Water . I Do Use A Gm. Scale.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

What coffees were you using before ordering from uncle beanz?

Last edited by replicant_argent; 10-15-2013 at 06:54 AM.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Unfortunately, Since I Go To Work So Early, I Can't Grind Every Morning As I Would Wake Up The Whole House. Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

A quick google search popped a few local roasters in Mobile, Greg. Why limit yourself to grocery store coffee? An extra 30 or 40 cents a pot for truly GREAT locally roasted FRESH coffee is worth it. And it supports your local economy.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
A quick google search popped a few local roasters in Mobile, Greg. Why limit yourself to grocery store coffee? An extra 30 or 40 cents a pot for truly GREAT locally roasted FRESH coffee is worth it. And it supports your local economy.
Didn't Think Of That. Thanks, Pete! I Usually Use Starbucks Or Eight O'Clock.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Unfortunately, Since I Go To Work So Early, I Can't Grind Every Morning As I Would Wake Up The Whole House. Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?
I recently tried Chock Full o' Nuts, and I love it; it's become my regular.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I used to do starbucks coffee (beans, rarely actually buy a coffee there), then went to buying some stuff from roasters online. a couple years back I switched to local roasters (not always local to my current location, sometimes when traveling I'd pick up a pound if I knew I was running low at home). now that's about all that I do, never looked back
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I drip 2 parts Folgers Columbian and 1 part Folgers Vanilla. Don't laugh until you try it.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
What does that do?
It takes the bitter out. Hides the acid somehow.
I keep those little salt packets in my car in case my coffee sucks. I put it in my coffee when I get it at Sheetz all the time. It works great, and it only takes a little bit.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Thanks, All! Found A Local Roaster, Carpe Diem, Who Roasts Daily. I 'll Pick Some Up After Work, Today!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

That's the spirit! Going from grocery store floor sweepings to craft roasted beans is like going from Mickey D's to Ruths Chris. We expect a full report, including which beans and tasting notes.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
That's the spirit! Going from grocery store floor sweepings to craft roasted beans is like going from Mickey D's to Ruths Chris. We expect a full report, including which beans and tasting notes.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Yea the local roaster is a great idea. I would go down to 55grams try that. Then down to 50grams. That little trial and error would probably do the trick.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
What does that do?
Takes off the bitterness. Just a pinch. Give it a try!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?
Bokar Blend is really good. Costco is great too, they single origin coffee are a steal.

You'll get to the point of "eye balling" soon. Once you see how much coffee is needed, you can score the filter holder or just remember. No need to weight and measure.