Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm perplexed...

While I was working at Walmart I can attest to the fact that lots of the new working poor are on EBT. Most of my former coworkers were on EBT as they weren't making enough to live on. I saw a couple I'm friends with also on EBT.
He works two part time jobs and I know he'd take a third if there were that many hours in the day.

They have an autistic son and my friend's wife is going to college full time to be a teacher.

To me this is what the program is for. People that are working and need a helping hand.
I'm fully aware of the fraudulent side of things as well, like when I drive home from work and by the DHS office and see the cars that are way nicer than my 2001 Tahoe.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
While I was working at Walmart I can attest to the fact that lots of the new working poor are on EBT. Most of my former coworkers were on EBT as they weren't making enough to live on. I saw a couple I'm friends with also on EBT.
He works two part time jobs and I know he'd take a third if there were that many hours in the day.

They have an autistic son and my friend's wife is going to college full time to be a teacher.

To me this is what the program is for. People that are working and need a helping hand.
I'm fully aware of the fraudulent side of things as well, like when I drive home from work and by the DHS office and see the cars that are way nicer than my 2001 Tahoe.
Exactly my sentiments. There are people out there who honestly need the programs, and with that I have no problem helping out monetarily.

The problem is with others defrauding government programs. We want everyone to be morally sound, and ethical when using these programs. But I fear that as long as there is a way to manipulate the system, there will be those that do.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Earlier this year there was a big hoopla about people using the ebt cards to get cash out of the ATMs at t!tty bars.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Earlier this year there was a big hoopla about people using the ebt cards to get cash out of the ATMs at t!tty bars.
that's crazy! do you know how much the transaction fees are for those?!?!
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

There are transaction fees at the titty bars???

Guess I have gone in awhile......
Old 10-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Blinky
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Blinky is on a distinguished road

I'm In mass and they are finding millions in fraud with ebt. Mass also has some of the highest payouts in the us. It's not uncommon for people to be getting 50k plus annually. Mind you these are people that have never worked so its not based on their income from previous jobs. People here have been found using dead relatives socials to get additional benefits. My sister has 2 kids and works full time and struggles. She lost 20 bucks on the train this morning and it makes a big difference to her..lguess what? She doesn't qualify for anything...luckily she has a great support system (family) or else shed be in really bad shape.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote