Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 05-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #161
burninator
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
burninator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Much appreciated. The grinder upgrade is set for an, as yet, undetermined point in the presumably near future, but I didn't want to purchase a stovetop set that's going to be useless with my setup. I like to think I've gotten used to drinking darn good coffee, and I don't want to diminish the product, if you read me.

Now, Bodum offers a stovetop unit that is comparable in size to the 3-cup Moka. Has anyone tried it out? The aluminum pot runs about the same price at this size.
burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #162
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninator View Post
Much appreciated. The grinder upgrade is set for an, as yet, undetermined point in the presumably near future, but I didn't want to purchase a stovetop set that's going to be useless with my setup. I like to think I've gotten used to drinking darn good coffee, and I don't want to diminish the product, if you read me.

Now, Bodum offers a stovetop unit that is comparable in size to the 3-cup Moka. Has anyone tried it out? The aluminum pot runs about the same price at this size.
That's a sporty little three cup stainless pot for $70; they are very proud of it. Seems like the Bialetti aluminum three-cup pots are more like $25 or less; Fantes show a six-cup ss pot (and the rarely-seen ultra cute aluminum 1-cup Express for $9.99) for $53.

http://fantes.com/espresso-stovetop.html

http://remodelista.com/products/bodu...stovetop-maker
Old 05-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #163
burninator
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
burninator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
That's a sporty little three cup stainless pot for $70; they are very proud of it. Seems like the Bialetti aluminum three-cup pots are more like $25 or less; Fantes show a six-cup ss pot (and the rarely-seen ultra cute aluminum 1-cup Express for $9.99) for $53.

http://fantes.com/espresso-stovetop.html

http://remodelista.com/products/bodu...stovetop-maker
Ooh, lawdy mercy! No, I was looking at this one here for about $25 shipped. I'm getting the Bialetti...I was just curious about the Bodum, since I've enjoyed my press so much.
burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #164
GusAGV

So last Saturday I bought a cheapo ceramic moka pot (cups and plates included), which made so-so Italian coffee. It turned out that the upper ceramic portion was glued together with the lower aluminum portion of the pot, and after three runs on the stove it unglued, leaving me with with quite a mess to clean in my kitchen.

I went to the department store where I bought it, exchanged it for a Bialetti Moka Express and bought a set of proper espresso cups. I came back, threw away the first brew and then... wow! What a coffee! Huge thanks to Mr. Moo for his detailed procedure and indications. I still have dial in the crema, but it's far better than most espressos I've ordered in restaurants or coffee shops.

BTW, nice write-up about the Moka Pot here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennif..._b_744350.html
Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #165
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Cool beans.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #166
Tyler

Is Isuma a good brand? I am at Target right now and they have one.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #167
Mister Moo

No idea. I am a Bialetti Express man.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #168
Tyler

Quote:
No idea. I am a Bialetti Express man.
This was half the price and stainless steel so I bought it and some cheapo Cafe Bustelo since I am new to this I didn't want to go in all the way and buy the $30 Bialetti and the really expensive coffee. This stuff is really good though! I am going to make it Cuban style tomorrow morning (I think that is what it is called with the sugar and such?) as well as look up new techniques. I just followed the one in the instructions. I know that most have said that aluminum is ideal but I am a health freak at times so I went with the stainless steel. I will have to re-read this thread.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #169
Tyler

It's a four cup so I suppose I am a ex-crack addict. I just figured that my girlfriend or one of my roomates might want some and I can make it a cafe americano right? Just add hot water?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #170
ChicagoWhiteSox

Dan, will an upgrade from a Maestro to a Rocky make any difference with mokapots? Need to upgrade soon
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #171
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Dan, will an upgrade from a Maestro to a Rocky make any difference with mokapots? Need to upgrade soon
Posted via Mobile Device
D'ohhhhh... probly not.

Espresso? Absolutely.
Longevity? For sure.
Somewhat less sludge in press and moka? Ja, shure.

Maestro, if somewhat noisey and slow compared to pro-sumer grinders, is pretty darn good.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #172
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
D'ohhhhh... probly not.

Espresso? Absolutely.
Longevity? For sure.
Somewhat less sludge in press and moka? Ja, shure.

Maestro, if somewhat noisey and slow compared to pro-sumer grinders, is pretty darn good.
Ok, I was hoping for a good reason to buy a rocky Maybe I will save a bit and buy a Gaggia Classic or Ranc. Syl.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #173
Tyler

Okay what am I doing wrong? My coffee has been coming out warm and not hot. Should I do a lower heat setting? That might sound odd but my coffee has been brewing quickly so I am thinking maybe I have it on too high of heat and it is making it brew before it is boiling? Any thoughts? To me it tastes great but I could be doing it totally wrong lol
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #174
Mister Moo

After several minutes of medium heat to develop brewing pressure I try to brew a 3-cup mokapot for 45-60 seconds. With a gas burner that means low-low flame as brewing commences; with an electric range it usually means lifting & lowering (or sliding the pot away from the burner "hot spot") to control brewing temp. That brew rate isn't much more than a dribble.

The process gets the entire metal pot far too hot to touch (125*F = ouch). My pour is always hot - even it I wait minutes before filling a cup. If you have a problem with cool brew, try preheating your mug with boiling water while your coffee is brewing. MMoo
Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #175
Tyler

Quote:
After several minutes of medium heat to develop brewing pressure I try to brew a 3-cup mokapot for 45-60 seconds. With a gas burner that means low-low flame as brewing commences; with an electric range it usually means lifting & lowering (or sliding the pot away from the burner "hot spot") to control brewing temp. That brew rate isn't much more than a dribble.

The process gets the entire metal pot far too hot to touch (125*F = ouch). My pour is always hot - even it I wait minutes before filling a cup. If you have a problem with cool brew, try preheating your mug with boiling water while your coffee is brewing. MMoo
I will try it on lower heat. Thanks. I tried it a little lower and it was better. I had it on medium I'll try low low.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #176
Tyler

Quote:

Is this different than the video you posted a couple years back that is linked in this thread? I don't think the brew time was that long in it.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #177
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Is this different than the video you posted a couple years back that is linked in this thread? I don't think the brew time was that long in it.
vid was a 1-cupper.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #178
Tyler

Quote:
vid was a 1-cupper.
Ah, that explains it. This is a 4 cup pot. I made some this morning using low low heat on my gas burner and it was much hotter and developed a tiny bit of crema on top. I will keep experimenting with it until I get it right. That is only once a day thought because I don't think I can handle 8 cups in one day. The four is great for jump starting my mornings.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #179
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

My family had celebrated Christmas early this year due to conflicting schedules next week and I was lucky enough to get some new coffee gear.

First cup out of the Mokapot turned out pretty good thanks to all the enough in this thread!

WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #180
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGuy View Post
My family had celebrated Christmas early this year due to conflicting schedules next week and I was lucky enough to get some new coffee gear.

First cup out of the Mokapot turned out pretty good thanks to all the enough in this thread!

That's exactly what I was looking at next. I gotta upgrade to a burr grinder first and then a moka pot. Nice Xmas presents you got right there!