Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #21
ChasDen

Default Re: Circuit City Closing all US operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

..... Dubya the oilman's watch.

..... I'm just hoping folks will place blame where blame is due.

..... Lots of other countries are suffering even worse than we are because their economies are smaller. Some have completely collapsed.
Just curious since its a world wide recession, who's fault is it and where should the blame go?

Chas
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #22
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
Just curious since its a world wide recession, who's fault is it and where should the blame go?

Chas

I agree...I think what we're seeing is not so much companies being laid waste by the recession as companies that were marginal at best in good times (for a variety of reasons) that are being brought down en masse by the economic situation.

I can remember being in my local Circuit City a few times in the last two years...I just can't recall actually buying anything. They seemed like a poorly-run operation that had lost its way.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Chas
Who else?
I'm not aware of any other countries that have been raped quite like ours when it comes to numbers, except maybe a couple middle easterners. Our allies followed us right into it because they owed it to us.
A few folks can only take so much out before it hurts everything.

Last edited by shilala; 01-16-2009 at 11:25 PM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #24
ChasDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Who else?
Come on your smarter than that

A bumbling idiot (considered by those that don't like him) Cant be smart enough to bring down the whole world economy

If oil is the reason place the blame where it belongs:
Asia's demand for natural resources grew at an unheard of rate that drove the world into this crisis.
Add the greed of OPEC
The failed economic policy's of a decade ago where "Everyone should own their own home"
(Why should the fry guy at the burger house qualify for a home ???)

Fast forward 10 years and bam here we are.

Chas
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #25
ChasDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1903A1 View Post
I agree...I think what we're seeing is not so much companies being laid waste by the recession as companies that were marginal at best in good times (for a variety of reasons) that are being brought down en masse by the economic situation.
Unfortunately I work for one of them that reaped the rewards during the building boom but has no clue how to survive during the tough times

Chas
Old 01-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #26
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
While I feel for the employees, there's a reason they're known as Circuit Sh*tty...
Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #27
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:

Chas
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/428397..._blame_canada/
Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #28
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Chas
Come on Chas, you know who's fault it is. Same person to blame for the 20F weather here in NC, the plane going into the hudson, the same person responsible for the dent on my wife's car and my son's 102 fever this morning....its all Bush's fault. Don't you watch the news! Thank god we're saved now!

Sorry for the political BS, back on topic.

Sorry for the CC employees who will lose their jobs, but the company was terrible. Poor sales tactics, ugly stores, etc. I always felt CC looked like a Best Buy from the hood (rude & people, dark & disorderly stores, less stuff available).

I don't know if anyone else has an HHGregg near them, but they make CC look like the best store on earth. Trust me, stay FAR away from HH Gregg (Unsatisfactory rating on BBB is for a reason), as they are much worse in customer service, fraudulent sales practices and improper denials of refunds, etc. They will NOT be far behind CC in getting what they deserve.
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #29
Studebaker
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Studebaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB996 View Post
I don't know if anyone else has an HHGregg near them, but they make CC look like the best store on earth. Trust me, stay FAR away from HH Gregg (Unsatisfactory rating on BBB is for a reason), as they are much worse in customer service, fraudulent sales practices and improper denials of refunds, etc. They will NOT be far behind CC in getting what they deserve.
+1

HHGregg opened a store here a while back and I went in during their grand opening period, looking forward to a good experience. Wrong! I think they opened the doors before they were ready. Advertised items weren't available, so-called sales folks on the floor were CLUELESS and made no effort to find what I was looking for OR offer to let me know when it was in.

After about 10 minutes of futility I walked out and have never gone back. They may have gotten their act together by now for all I know, but they lost a sale that day (I probably went straight to BB and bought what I wanted) and they lost me as a customer for good.

If that's indicative of how they operate I won't be surprised to see them go the way of CC.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Come on your smarter than that

A bumbling idiot (considered by those that don't like him) Cant be smart enough to bring down the whole world economy

Chas
Turns out you're right, Chas.
I looked into it a little further and turns out it was Francis.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #31
backwoods
stuck in Mayberry

First Name: u can call me Al
backwoods is on a distinguished road

i see they already pulled the circuit city website...
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #32
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

it's funny but if you go on the website now it directs you to something about the history of the store and you know what to me it looks like it had nothing to do with the economy but it started to become poorly run, in 1999 they made 12 billion dollars I really think the big problems for them started in 2003 when they converted to a single hourly pay structure in all stores, eliminating commissioned sales, by doing that you completely take the customer service out of the store and only need to hire less qualified people to do the job.

Heres the link to the history: http://investor.circuitcity.com/history.cfm
Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #33
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

HH Gregg is hanging on here, but now they sell mostly appliances and TVs. They've gotten rid of all their computer stuff. One of the office supply stores here is also going under. Then again, we just got a new Petsmart with hotel! Go figure!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #34
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Support China Shop at WalMart
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #35
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Actually I guess I am one of the few who preferred Circuit City over Best Buy.
Nope, I'm with you Ron. Best Buy has nothing but inexperienced kids working there and if you're lucky to find one, it's never "my area" so just getting a secured product to checkout with is impossible.

I can't tell you how many times I went to CC and had nothing but stellar service. At least at mine, they were awesome.

BTW - I could care less about what a store looks like inside but agree that CC's marketing dropped the ball in retaining a large portion of the market share.
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #36
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Wait, me too. My last big purchases were from CC. I bought a full home entertainment setup and my TV from there 3 years ago. I liked the atmosphere in the store, too. Never had a problem at all. Sad to see all those folks without jobs now. Poor management can sink you in a minute.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #37
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

I never go to the big box stores for some nitwits advice cars electronics etc 95% I know more then the idiot trying to sell that and some retarded warranty.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #38
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

When you don't know the answer to a question just blame Bush. It's the leftist politically correct thing to do. I mean it is his fault all the dinosaurs are extinct...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #39
ChasDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
Nope, I'm with you Ron. Best Buy has nothing but inexperienced kids working there and if you're lucky to find one, it's never "my area" so just getting a secured product to checkout with is impossible.

I can't tell you how many times I went to CC and had nothing but stellar service. At least at mine, they were awesome.

BTW - I could care less about what a store looks like inside but agree that CC's marketing dropped the ball in retaining a large portion of the market share.

We were talking about this today and unfortunately its getting harder and harder to get "help" anywhere.
Society as a whole is demanding fast everything at the expense of service.
There are times I just want to walk in, grab the cheapest whatever and go.
Other times I need advice, assistance and good old fashioned customer service.

Chas
Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #40
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post

You know I stopped in right after Christmas to pick up a digital optic cable that I needed. As I walked over in the general direction this kid asked if he could help me - I told him what I needed. He said he would show me where they were. Well they were out of them in the main area where they should be - he didn't give up. He checked another area and then another. He told me if I wanted to wait where I was instead of following him all over - he would keep searching. He took off and eventually found one in the PSII gaming section tucked back up amongst the games. That kid didn't give up at all. To bad he is out of job now.

Most of them would have stopped after not finding them in the main cable section.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote