Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #41
Katmancross

Default Re: Xikar Cutter-Not Released to Public Yet

Why are the Palio cutters sort of a cult cutter? Are they that much better than a Xikar?
Because they ain't cheap.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #42
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish View Post

I've never used a cutter with a backstop, but I imagine if it's got the Xikar name on it, it can't be so bad.
For some reason, I've had not much luck with the Xikar Xi2.
The more expensive ones are much better
Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #43
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
damnedest thing.

EVERY double guillotine cutter has a "noob" backstop.

Or did everyone forget laying the cutter flat on the table? Did you forget WHY every double guillotine cutter is so thin?
Yes, but finding a table or counter in the car is troublesome
Old 01-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #44
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post

The cutter looks kinda cheap and the backstop is lame. I don't know if you could call me a noob for it but I've never seen a cutter with a backstop

Time will tell. Everyone claims that their cutters are self sharpening. But it takes several months before that claim is found to be true or not
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #45
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmancross View Post
Why are the Palio cutters sort of a cult cutter? Are they that much better than a Xikar?
Because they ain't cheap.
"Better" is relative to one's preferences. They are both quality cutters, but they are different.

The Xikar is basically a set of encapsulated cigar scissors. It's apparent by your earlier comment that you have used them, so I don't need to go on about them.

The Palio is a bit more innovative in the design. It's a dual guillotine, but it only has two parts (two blades that move against each other), as opposed to the typical three (two blades which move inside a body). It's slim, it's lightweight, it makes very precise, clean, sharp cut, it includes a built in cigar rest, the owner of the company, Mark ("OpusEx") is a very personable, stand up guy who interfaces often with the other S/BOTLs on the boards and elsewhere.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #46
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
"Better" is relative to one's preferences. They are both quality cutters, but they are different.

The Xikar is basically a set of encapsulated cigar scissors. It's apparent by your earlier comment that you have used them, so I don't need to go on about them.

The Palio is a bit more innovative in the design. It's a dual guillotine, but it only has two parts (two blades that move against each other), as opposed to the typical three (two blades which move inside a body). It's slim, it's lightweight, it makes very precise, clean, sharp cut, it includes a built in cigar rest, the owner of the company, Mark ("OpusEx") is a very personable, stand up guy who interfaces often with the other S/BOTLs on the boards and elsewhere.

Thank you, Adam.

But you don't say if you own a Palio? Obviously, you've used one. Do you think they are worth the dough?
In any case, described succinctly and easy enough for my tiny little brain to absorb.
You are a genius!
Do you do windows?

The Kat
Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #47
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thank you, Adam.

But you don't say if you own a Palio? Obviously, you've used one. Do you think they are worth the dough?
In any case, described succinctly and easy enough for my tiny little brain to absorb.
You are a genius!
Do you do windows?

The Kat
I can't speak for Adam.

I think the basic black ones are most definitely worth the dough. The value of the special finishes really depends on how much it's worth to you. That is just cosmetic. I own multiple Palios and I can't say enough good things about them. Xikar makes a great cutter but I don't care for the ergonomics. Palio is a top quality cutter backed by an outstanding warranty and the owners are great guys (and personal friends). Those here that have met Marc, Jack and Mike would agree.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #48
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thank you, Adam.

You are a genius!
Do you do windows?

The Kat
I love my Palio, more so than the Xicar, but the one T.G. gave me is a good distraction.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #49
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Thank you, Adam.

You are a genius!
Do you do windows?

The Kat
Thanks.

Yes, I do own a Palio - one of the original Amyx & Christy models.

I agree with Peter. The basic black one is worth the dough. The upgraded finishes are just personal touches for extra cost, if you like them, great, but it's the exact same cutter, body and allunder that finish as the base black one.

I do windows, but I charge extra for 3.0, 3.1, 3.11/WFWG, 95, 98, ME, NT3.5, NT3.5 and NT4.0 because they are so archaic and after dealing with them since they were first released, I'm sick of them. And, no, just because xwindows is GNU and free, doesn't mean my time is to fix it after someone breaks it.

Last edited by T.G; 01-07-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #50
Katmancross

Quote:
Thanks.

Yes, I do own a Palio - one of the original Amyx & Christy models.

I do windows, but I charge extra for 3.0, 3.1, 3.11/WFWG, 95, 98, ME, NT3.5, NT3.5 and NT4.0 because they are so archaic and after dealing with them since they were first released, I'm sick of them.
I am directing you to go outside, strip down to your socks, find a nearby duck, hold a pine cone between your teeth, lift the duck to your cheek(face), walk slowly to a a bar that opens at 6am, and sit at the end of the bar and cry like the call of the Southern Right Whale Dolphin. If the phone rings, answer it by saying, "Guido here." If they ask which Guido?, hang up.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #51
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I can't speak for Adam.

I think the basic black ones are most definitely worth the dough. The value of the special finishes really depends on how much it's worth to you. That is just cosmetic. I own multiple Palios and I can't say enough good things about them. Xikar makes a great cutter but I don't care for the ergonomics. Palio is a top quality cutter backed by an outstanding warranty and the owners are great guys (and personal friends). Those here that have met Marc, Jack and Mike would agree.

If I only had a job....If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #52
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I am directing you to go outside, strip down to your socks, find a nearby duck, hold a pine cone between your teeth, lift the duck to your cheek(face), walk slowly to a a bar that opens at 6am, and sit at the end of the bar and cry like the call of the Southern Right Whale Dolphin. If the phone rings, answer it by saying, "Guido here." If they ask which Guido?, hang up.
What happens if they call and ask for Luigi?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #53
Katmancross

Quote:
What happens if they call and ask for Luigi?
You're in the wrong bar. I can't believe you asked that.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #54
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
You're in the wrong bar. I can't believe you asked that.
You didn't say WHICH bar that opens at 6am. Sheez. I'll go over to the other one.

What do you want me to tell the bartender when they ask about your tab, and why I'm sitting there with your duck?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #55
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

I got a cutter just like that from smoke-inn as a gift when i got my anarchy's along with a hand written thank you letter. Feels kinda cheap but still a very nice gesture.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #56
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

The Tatuaje buzz cutter (the one you get as an extra at events) also has the backstop and looks and feels a little cheap compared to the Xikars and Palios. With that said, it cuts perfectly fine and I like the backstop. Straight cut and you can re-cut more times if you want to take more off.

I use it more than my Palio these days.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #57
Katmancross

Quote:
You didn't say WHICH bar that opens at 6am. Sheez. I'll go over to the other one.

What do you want me to tell the bartender when they ask about your tab, and why I'm sitting there with your duck?

A man with your intelligence must ask me this?
First, pay my tab, fool.
Second, that duck was passed down to me over 3 generations. It is sacred and I find it offensive that you are cavalier about it. There is no friend like a duck that is 80 years old. That's a loyal friend.
Of course, the downside is that he goes, "quaiirrkkk" instead of quack! He's a little verkakte (Yiddish for falling apart).
I now take your leave.