Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone tried Aqua Gems?

http://www.aqua-gems.com/

I was at the fabric store a few weeks ago trying to get some floral foam to replace the stuff that started to mold in my humi when I saw these. I figured they were exactly the same stuff that all the other bead manufactures use and you can get a pack that makes 1gallon for $5. I made enough to fill up my humidifier box and added some more in a little cup for the other side. So far I have had them in there for about two weeks now and they are keeping my box at a consistent 70% humidity as read on my digital humidifier. I have a bally IV glass top with about 70 cigars in it some still in celo and some naked.

What do you guys think? Anyone else tried them? Could be a really good option especially if they are the same stuff as found in more expensive humi beads.
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone tried Aqua Gems?

How did you decide they were "the same stuff that all the other bead manufactures use"?

Also, from their website:

Quote:
Just add water to rehydrate the AquaGems. Over weeks, liquid beads will slowly lose water through evaporation and as your growing plants or fresh-cut flowers drink the water. This rehydration process can be repeated many times.
Many times? My beads have lasted for years and years, certainly this implies that the aqua-gems will not.

Also can't see anywhere on the site a set humidity level. You say the gems have kept your humidor at 70%...any idea why?

My opinion? I am not going to risk thousands (or hundreds, depending on your collection) of dollars worth of cigars to save $20 on my humidification source....but hey, that's me.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

These look so fun I might just get rid of my cigars and fill my humi with multiple colors

I'd like to hear how your experiment goes, but until then I keep my beads.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
SilverFox

Sounds to me like this would not be a wise usage for cigars. My first thought is simple, there is no humidity control associated with these Aqua Gems. They simply are an absorbing agent that effectively dries up over time.

You mentioned that you replaced the floral foam due to mold...........did you use straight water on the foam or did you use a mixture of water and propylene glycol? The reason I ask is that by itself floral foam is not intended nor will it act as a humidity stabilizing component which is what you want in your humidor.

The use of propylene glycol has a twofold benefit.

Firstly, the formation of mold as well as bacteria is actively prevented. Secondly, propylene glycol forms a thin layer on the surface of the humidifier, which absorbs humidity at humidity levels of over 70% and which emits humidity at humidity levels below 70%. In this way, the humidifier is self-adjusting and will automatically stabilize the humidity level at an optimum level of approximately 70%.

Now if you were looking to replace your humidification unit I can understand looking for alternatives, however, I would think your main concern would be to find something that is an active humidifier. By active I mean something that will release moisture when the content in your humidor is below a set point (whatever percentage you like but between 60% and 70% and my preference would be closer to the 60% range) and would absorb moisture if the RH% in your box went above the set point.

There are a multitude of options out there.

foam and propylene glycol.
A half dozen if not more bead suppliers (heartfelt, cigarmony, HCM beads, cheaphumidors, etc etc)
Active digital units like Cigar Oasis, Hydra
Humipacks like Boveda

While your RH is constant after 2 weeks I would argue that it is more a matter of chance than a good substitute humidification system. It sounds to me like it would take much more monitoring and you would subject your cigars to fluctuations in RH, that may be ok for you but I am of the opinion that cigars like wine do not like change and that an environment that is not constant puts them at risk.

For myself I am with Tom on this one, they simply are not designed for the purpose and therefore it is not something I would do or recommend.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

icehog:
Well I am pretty sure that most of the guys who supply beads do not actually make them, as they probably buy the beads from dow, basf or some other large firm who produces these types of polymers or who holds the patents. Also any of these products release and absorb moisture. I imagine that they do it at varying rates, foam being the lowest and beads having varying degrees closer to what a humidor needs. Also with the amount of beads I got they could die after two uses and I would still have 4years wort of beads.

salve: I got the clear beads figuring that maybe the colored ones might have something more that I don't want in my cigars.

Might be a mistake but I figured they would be an upgrade from foam and as I just found this forum and read about the puckifier, and RH beads. These things look really similar and I could throw some dry beads in there to suck up moisture, I am also thinking I can tweak the humidity by adding or subtracting beads.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Well, let us know how if goes in the longer term, should be interesting. I wish you luck...for me, I will stick to what is tried and true for hundreds of us.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

I just used distilled water in the foam and aqua gem beads. I look at the hygrometer once or twice a day and the humidity has been solid at 70% even with temp changes of about 5 degrees up or down from 70%.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

How often do people typically recharge actual cigar beads? Or do they even need it? Can you tell I am new yet?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
How often do people typically recharge actual cigar beads? Or do they even need it? Can you tell I am new yet?
In my climate (Chicago), more often when during the winter when forced air furnaces are running. Might have to add water here once every 4-6 weeks in the summer, and maybe every 2-4 weeks in the winter...but the climate you live in can have a great effect on how often the beads need distilled water.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
Sounds to me like this would not be a wise usage for cigars. My first thought is simple, there is no humidity control associated with these Aqua Gems. They simply are an absorbing agent that effectively dries up over time.

You mentioned that you replaced the floral foam due to mold...........did you use straight water on the foam or did you use a mixture of water and propylene glycol? The reason I ask is that by itself floral foam is not intended nor will it act as a humidity stabilizing component which is what you want in your humidor.

The use of propylene glycol has a twofold benefit.

Firstly, the formation of mold as well as bacteria is actively prevented. Secondly, propylene glycol forms a thin layer on the surface of the humidifier, which absorbs humidity at humidity levels of over 70% and which emits humidity at humidity levels below 70%. In this way, the humidifier is self-adjusting and will automatically stabilize the humidity level at an optimum level of approximately 70%.

Now if you were looking to replace your humidification unit I can understand looking for alternatives, however, I would think your main concern would be to find something that is an active humidifier. By active I mean something that will release moisture when the content in your humidor is below a set point (whatever percentage you like but between 60% and 70% and my preference would be closer to the 60% range) and would absorb moisture if the RH% in your box went above the set point.

There are a multitude of options out there.

foam and propylene glycol.
A half dozen if not more bead suppliers (heartfelt, cigarmony, HCM beads, cheaphumidors, etc etc)
Active digital units like Cigar Oasis, Hydra
Humipacks like Boveda

While your RH is constant after 2 weeks I would argue that it is more a matter of chance than a good substitute humidification system. It sounds to me like it would take much more monitoring and you would subject your cigars to fluctuations in RH, that may be ok for you but I am of the opinion that cigars like wine do not like change and that an environment that is not constant puts them at risk.

For myself I am with Tom on this one, they simply are not designed for the purpose and therefore it is not something I would do or recommend.
and now i can die happy

/threadjack
Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Are you the owner, proprietor, or an employee of Aqua Gems?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Floral foam + water= Damp sponge. You are not regulating humudity, you are culturing mold. By changing to these "beads" you simply changing the method of delivering moisture. Most of us prefer a source that will absorb as well as release moisture as needed. I am not willing to risk my collection on such a foolhardy attempt to save a few dollars. My Heartfelt beads have kept my Rh steady at 62-65% for the last 3 years and I find them to be excellent investment.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Are you the owner, proprietor, or an employee of Aqua Gems?
uh. no
Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
uh. no
uh. thanks.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Floral foam + water= Damp sponge. You are not regulating humudity, you are culturing mold. By changing to these "beads" you simply changing the method of delivering moisture. Most of us prefer a source that will absorb as well as release moisture as needed. I am not willing to risk my collection on such a foolhardy attempt to save a few dollars. My Heartfelt beads have kept my Rh steady at 62-65% for the last 3 years and I find them to be excellent investment.
Well what I am trying to get at is I am not sure these are not the same product as what you might find in a cigar specific application just marketed differently, so yes they are a small risk(only if I am not paying attention to my hygrometer), but also an upgrade over floral foam which I suspect most people who have small home humidors use.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Well what I am trying to get at is I am not sure these are not the same product as what you might find in a cigar specific application just marketed differently, so yes they are a small risk(only if I am not paying attention to my hygrometer), but also an upgrade over floral foam which I suspect most people who have small home humidors use.
That would be an erroneous assumption. At least for those here at CA who take this hobby/obsession seriously.

If you are a cigar smoker, you should head on over to the New Inmate forum and introduce yourself.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
That would be an erroneous assumption. At least for those here at CA who take this hobby/obsession seriously.

If you are a cigar smoker, you should head on over to the New Inmate forum and introduce yourself.
What he said. I would say most of us here use beads but beads that will regulate humidity by not only adding moisture into our humidors but also absorbing moisture if it reaches levels above what the beads are set for unlike what your talking about which is just adding moisture and not absorbing it. You have just replaced a wet sponge with wet gel IMHO.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
so yes they are a small risk(only if I am not paying attention to my hygrometer),
I disagree that the risk is "small", but I also am not even willing to take a small risk with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of cigars.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I dont agree that you have "upgraded" All you are doing is storing water in a different container. Kind of like using a glass instead of a plastic cup, water tastes the same either way. Floral sponge with propylene glycol would be an upgrade as you would have mold prevention and absorb moisture above 70%.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #20
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
This thread has shades of Kitty Litter vs Beads written all over it...

There are a few different ways to make and post-treat super-absorbent gel polymers, all of which will result in slightly different behaviors, only some of which will be suitable for cigar storage. Just because they are a squishy water absorbent gel thingie, doesn't mean that they will work the same as the squishy water absorbent gel thingies packed into Drymystat tubes or jars of Humi-Care gel.

Without knowing the chemical makeup of these aqua gems, it's really just a guess if they might or might not work as you want them to.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote