Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Rant: Cigar Bums

Okay, so I'm a nice guy, at least most of the time. But, often, more times than not, I carry these great sticks with me to enjoy when a not so educated person wants to 'try' one of my sticks. But, you don't 'try' a stick. You 'try' a cigarette. If the stun sucks, you put it out and that's it. Period. But a cigar is different. Palettes are different and flavors often change while smoking a cigar. These ignoramuses think they should try a stick on my investment. Forget that I paid $7 to $10 for the stick, more than they paid for their worthless pack of cigarettes. For some reason, they think I owe them a shot at one of my expensive sticks and they've never smoked a cigar before. I have no problem sharing great smokes with someone who has developed a taste for a fine cigar. But, if someone wants to try a cigar, especially a first time cigar smoker, they need to try it on their own dime.

Free loaders.

Rant over.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rant: Cigar Bums

Or just carry around really good cheap cigars.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

If you don't want to give someone a cigar, don't....

An easy, "I'd be happy to sell you one, if you'd like"....or something like that, still gives them the opportunity to try a cigar, just not on your dime.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Or just carry around really good cheap cigars.
Good cheap cigars is an oxymoron.

I had noticed that when I started hanging out at the local B&M, I never was offered a stick to try. I just rummaged through the humidor and tried several sticks on my money and have settled on some good smokes. I still go out and try new ones and I find it educational to do so. I've only laid two cigars down, the first was the rot gut Acid blondie and the other was a Turano Virtuoso.

Now, I find myself not only sharing with others, but others sharing good sticks with me. No one has ever given me a stick and said, "Hey, this is a great stick you need to try" while snickering under their breath that they just gave me a dog turd. It's an unwritten rule of respect. Don't give anything to anybody you wouldn't smoke yourself.

So, when I feel that a person has developed a palate that deserves some tasty new tries, then I'll share. But the one and only time I shared a cigar with an unexperienced smoker, he laid the $9 stick in the ash tray and left it.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

That's what the CAO golds in my travel humi are for

Unless we're talking about a total stranger. In which case they are SOL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I imagine your view of this will change over time.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
If you don't want to give someone a cigar, don't....

An easy, "I'd be happy to sell you one, if you'd like"....or something like that, still gives them the opportunity to try a cigar, just not on your dime.
As I explained, I love to share. I'm very generous with my cigars, but only to B'sOTL. Not some cigarette huffing newbie that wants to 'try' one. I guess it's just ignorance of the non cigar smoker at play.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
That's what the CAO golds in my travel humi are for

Unless we're talking about a total stranger. In which case they are SOL.
Posted via Mobile Device
You just gave me an evil idea. Maybe I need to carry a couple of Acid Liquids around with me.

Yes, and a lot of these people are strangers.

Last edited by cmitch; 01-25-2011 at 08:25 AM.
cmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Good cheap cigars is an oxymoron.
Not really. Here is a good bit of reading:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=cheap

And just for discussion... just because someone doesn't have a well versed cigar palate doesn't mean they can't or won't appreciate a cigar the way a veteran smoker might.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I imagine your view of this will change over time.
Quote:
You just gave me an evil idea. Maybe I need to carry a couple of Acid Liquids around with me.
or... Perhaps not.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

If you find this happening a lot when you go out get in the habit of bringing a few cheap smokes or just get comfortable with the idea of saying "No." I know how painful it is to share one of your higher end sticks with someone only to find it only have a quarter inch smoked and sitting in an ashtray. This is another reason why I like to keep some cheaper smokes on hand besides for mowing the grass. When we have BBQs in the summer I always light up a cigar and offer my guests one if they would like one. I usually ask what they normally smoke and if I discover that they are not much of a cigar smoker I usually offer them something a little on the lower end or that I scored on the cheap just so it's not so painful to find the stick tossed way too early as more often than not that is the case as they tend to want to smoke because everyone else is enjoying one. I also try and keep Dirt Torpedos on hand to satisfy the crowd that always asks if I have anything flavored as these are not flavored so it's safe to keep in the humidor with the rest of my collection but they are very sweet and usually please that crowd very well. When we used to have people over more often I used to keep a separate humidor that was coined the "Moochadore." It was always loaded with good but cheaper smokes. People I meet who I catch the vibe they are a regular cigar smoker or those I know are a cigar smoker are always welcome to whatever I have.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Not really. Here is a good bit of reading:

And just for discussion... just because someone doesn't have a well versed cigar palate doesn't mean they can't or won't appreciate a cigar the way a veteran smoker might.
Maybe I wasn't crystal with my rant. I have nothing against sharing with a newbie cigar smoker per se. It's these cigarette huffing chain smokers who think I should peel out a stick for them. Like I said, it kills me to see a good $8 to $10 stick get laid down. Maybe I should carry some cheapies around to satiate these guys.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
If you find this happening a lot when you go out get in the habit of bringing a few cheap smokes or just get comfortable with the idea of saying "No." I know how painful it is to share one of your higher end sticks with someone only to find it only have a quarter inch smoked and sitting in an ashtray. People I meet who I catch the vibe they are a regular cigar smoker are always welcome to whatever I have. This is another reason why I like to keep some cheaper smokes on hand besides for mowing the grass. When we have BBQs in the summer I always light up a cigar and offer my guests one if they would like one. I usually ask what they normally smoke and if I discover that they are not much of a cigar smoker I usually offer them something a little on the lower end or that I scored on the cheap just so it's not so painful to find the stick tossed way too early as more often than not that is the case as they tend to want to smoke because everyone else is enjoying one. I also try and keep Dirt Torpedos on hand to satisfy the crowd that always asks if I have anything flavored as these are not flavored so it's safe to keep in the humidor with the rest of my collection but they are very sweet and usually please that crowd very well. When we used to have people over more often I used to keep a separate humidor that was coined the "Moochadore." It was always loaded with good but cheaper smokes.
There ya go!
I'll try some of these options.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Our opinions just differ on this I guess....and that is 100% okay. There is no right and wrong here.

Though it is nice to give an experienced cigar smoker a nice cigar, I get as much pleasure giving a great cigar to someone just dipping their feet in this ocean....

Too many people have no idea what a good cigar tastes like.... I'd like to change that and can, one person at a time....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't crystal with my rant. I have nothing against sharing with a newbie cigar smoker per se. It's these cigarette huffing chain smokers who think I should peel out a stick for them. Like I said, it kills me to see a good $8 to $10 stick get laid down.
I guess I am still confused

Is it that you have a disdain for cigarette chain smokers?

Or that the stick they laid down cost a certain amount?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #16
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Good cheap cigars is an oxymoron..
I would disagree with this. I have plenty of cheaper smokes that I consider very good and am never ashamed to smoke myself. I even would consider a box I score on C-Bid or Auctioneer on the cheap but may normally run $7-$8 a stick a cheap smoke just because if I scored it on the cheap than it's a cheap smoke.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I would disagree with this. I have plenty of cheaper smokes that I consider very good and am never ashamed to smoke myself. I even would consider a box I score on C-Bid or Auctioneer on the cheap but may normally run $7-$8 a stick a cheap smoke just because if I scored it on the cheap than it's a cheap smoke.
Notice my smiley?

Nick's Sticks are cheap cigars that I often enjoy. I've not had a bad Perdomo product . . . yet.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

RA

My bad. The problem with written word is it can always be interpreted different by everyone.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
enlightenedcigar
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Billy
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
enlightenedcigar is on a distinguished road

This is the sole purpose that I have a mooch-a-dor. A good friend told me about how he has one. Basically, I keep a humidor full of really cheap stuff that I have bought just for this occassion, when someone asks for a cigar I pop open that humidor and say take which ever you would like. It makes them excited that they are getting to pick their own cigar and I don't have to worry about losing money on someone that probably won't even finish the stick! WIN WIN!!!
enlightenedcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #20
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I love giving cigars away. Whenever I am at a party or one if the few bars in my area that still allow cigar smoking, I always bring plenty of extra. You meet some of the nicest people through the simple gift of a cigar. I don't care if they're mooching or genuinely curious, the world today can be so callous and cynical that a smile from a stranger and some casual conversation helps to remind me that what we need most is connection to our fellow human beings.

MCS