Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Colon Especiales Lancero

I think it’s about 10 years ago that the Panamanian brand Colon was introduced to the Dutch market with the release of a super premium perfecto for a crazy €45+ price tag which created some buzz. But the cigar didn’t sell much and neither did their better priced non limited edition cigars even though they were a nice smoke. Maybe it was the unknown brand, the fact that they came from Panana or the market wasn’t ready for it yet but I haven’t seen the brand in the recent years.

The cigar is a Panamanian puro and you could call it organic as the manufacturer claims the tobacco hasn’t been treated with pesticides not grown on artificial fertilizer. The tobacco comes from the mountainous area of Panama and until the 70’s this was the official diplomatic cigar of Panama. I can’t recall how I got my hands on this lancero, but I am looking forward to smoking it. It’s been a while since I smoked the brand, and I recall liking it, and then in my favorite vitola, I have high expectations.

The 7 5/8×40 lancero doesn’t come packed in cellophane, like most non Cubans. The wrapper looks a bit pale but not Connecticut shade pale and has a silky touch.I see one spot at the foot of the cigar like something in the filler is trying to break out, its like a pimple on a teenager but otherwise the wrapper looks beautiful. The construction feels good too and the triple cap is applied perfectly. After all these years of aging without the cellophane the cigar has little aroma left, I only smell a little bit of hay. I like the ring, which is very simple with a white background, a brown band onderneath with white letters saying especiales. On the white ring there are golden dots in the shape of Panama with dark brown letters Colon with a yellow stripe inside and small letters Panama. Very simple yet tasteful and the Panama shape makes it special.

A 40 ring cigar isn’t easy to punch, unless you have a tiny punch, so I cut the cigar. The cold draw is easy with a mild citrus and pepper flavor. After slowly setting fire to the cigar I taste some citrus but after two puffs also coffee, leather and pepper. The strength of the flavors surprise me. After an inch I taste wood with some pepper. After a third I taste spicy and peppery nut flavor. I also taste some caramel. Halfway I taste spices, slightly bitter but in a good way, with just a tiny bit of wood and the pepper has gone. Soon after I also taste a hint of cocoa, the caramel sweetness is gone.

The smoke is quite thick and plenty in volume. The draw is great too. The burn is straight as an arrow. The light colored ash is quite firm. The cigar is medium bodied and full flavored but it could have a little more evolution. The balance is great though. The smoke time is an hour and fifteen minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? I liked it but there are better lanceros out there.

Score: 89

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...iales-lancero/