Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 10-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Col. & Rev. - Review McClelland Beacon Extra

McClelland Beacon Extra
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: McClelland does broken flake like nobody else, and this is a great example of densely packed, dark brown, broken flakes. Very good looking tobacco.

Score for aesthetics:4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: Well, even if you didn’t have your eyes open, you knew this was a McClelland product, the tin note gives it away as such, that particular scent that declares this a McC Virginia. This is a rich VA with Perique, at least to my nose. Firm broken flakes.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.8

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: To me, McC broken flakes come a little moist, so I rubbed some out and let it sit out for about an hour and a half before packing a pipe. A couple matches and a few tamps to get a nice charred, and then even light going.

Score for post-light construction: 4.4

4) Flavor and strength: Very tasty blend. The first thing that hits you is a prune-ish, light spice from the Perique. The Perique seems to be in the forefront (I like that), but the Virginias in this play a prominent role, filling the spice with rich sweetness. This is sweeter than my go to blend, G&H Louisiana Flake, which is richer and the sweetness more muted. It carries a potent nic hit for those who succumb to such things, so be careful – I personally like it. Hints of cocoa and cinnamon shine through. I like the complexity as it is not at all one-dimensional.

Score for flavor and strength: 4.7

5) Aftertaste/Finish: This finishes nicely, not as heavy as the flavors would seem to indicate, the Perique seems to linger the longest, but sweetly.

Score for finish: 4.5

6) Aroma: Rich, sweet, tobacco and slight spice.

Score for aroma: 4.7

7) General Comments A friend, ColKurtz gave me a sample of this to try. I think I can at least get another three bowls out of that sample.

Overall score for the tobacco: 4.666667

8) Recommendation: A pox on ColKurtz for giving me a sample of this, now I have to buy some for myself, doggonit! Thank you very much.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Col. & Rev. - Review McClelland Beacon Extra

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: Dark chocolate broken flake. Tin smell of McClelland Virginias is said to be of ketchup or vinegar (no. 22!) Very mild smell of A-1 or worcestershire sauce.

Score for aesthetics:4.0 I prefer larger thinner flakes or coins. Just my preference. Nothing is wrong here.

2) Pre-light Construction: No sauce or PG noted. This seems to have perfect flake moisture. Not mushy, nor brittle. Again, I prefer a larger thinner flake like LNF. I stuffed the flakes and crumbled up some tinder for the top.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: smooth, cool, dense smoke. Black and grey ash noted. Typical cool smoking flake. There was some gurgle that was easily cleared by passing a cleaner. Required relights and clearing of moisture. I dried these samples about an hour prior to smoking. I'll probably dry this one even more in the future.

Score for post-light construction:3.5

4) Flavor and strength: Strong meaty vaper. This is a full, meaty, chewy smoke. Said to be high in perique content (50% if I recall correctly). Not as spicy as you would think. Very filling smoke. Not a high nicotine content. If Dunhill flake is the champagne, this is a thick porterhouse.

Score for flavor and strength: 4.5

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Reminds me of sweet and sour chicken with a good dose of black pepper. Not terribly spicy, nor heavy. More sweet and full than anything. Fairly easy to retrohale. Not the brimstone you would expect when snorked.

Score for aftertaste:4.5

6) Aroma: Not much aroma noted. Sweet and meaty.

Score for aroma: 3.5

7) General Comments. An interesting specialty tobacco blend. Not for everyone, but a good adventure for Virginia and vaper lovers alike. Mild smokers and English lovers would probably be bored here.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Very good dual review Todd and Jerry Looks like an overall score of 4.4. Sounds like a good smoking VaPer pipe tobacco. Do you guys remember what pipes you reviewed this blend in? Sometimes, certain blends work better in deep narrow bowl, and some work better in larger diameter bowls. Just a thought...
Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
McClelland Beacon Extra

7) General Comments A friend, ColKurtz gave me a sample of this to try. I think I can at least get another three bowls out of that sample.

Overall score for the tobacco: 4.666667

8) Recommendation: A pox on ColKurtz for giving me a sample of this, now I have to buy some for myself, doggonit! Thank you very much.
Well, I got another 5 bowls out of it. Granted, I did a parfait with the last of it, mixing it with Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake so that I could get a full bowl.

This is excellent stuff. I suppose I will have break down and buy some.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
badbriar

Very nice review! You must be a fan of Perique!
Old 12-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Very nice review! You must be a fan of Perique!
Love Perique. In fact, I will occasionally smoke a bowl of Perique straight up.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road

You would not believe it but until I saw the pictire of the can I thought it was Bacon Extra!

I got kind of excited I guess. umm. never mind. silly me!
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
Annieding5317

I'm a little tea pot, short and stout.

Last edited by icehog3; 01-18-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

This was worth cellaring back in the day.
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslit View Post
This was worth cellaring back in the day.
Yes, it was! Too bad I did not. I had a last tin that I opened just as I heard the the McClellands were going to close up shop. Ooops!

Peace of the Lord be with you.