Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough
Default Colibri... kind of a let down

I have a Colibri Providence triple flame lighter. Love it! Lately though it's become really finicky and unreliable. I clean it with compressed air, use Vector 5X fuel, in other words, I keep it in great shape. I called Colibri to get some repair help and come to find out the lighter has been discontinued and they will not clean/repair/replace it. Ok, I understand a 2 year warranty (even though I've had this lighter for less than that time) and they won't replace it but to not clean it or repair it is a let down to me. Oh well, I'll keep using my $2.95 Ronson (lights every time) JetLite.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Colibri... kind of a let down

Yeah, if you read enough threads around here on lighters, you will see a clear separation between sheep and goats.
You found that there is a difference between saying your lighter is guaranteed and having a guarantee. I am with you
on the Jetlights. I have 3 dozen lighters, and after seeing the mixed results on all of them, I'll stay in the cheap zone.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I bought a Colibri lighter once.

Once.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

Montecristo

It retailed for about $90 but I didn't pay anywhere near that amount. I am in agreement with you guys, Colibri...once. I'm sticking with Ronson.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I bought a Colibri lighter once.

Once.

jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

I couldn't agree more with the Colibri once ONLY. Have a nice looking one I got for Christmas years ago and it's a POS. Unfortunately, I've bought others in the medium range which always let me down. Cheapers only for me now.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Once they all get off work, you will hear all of the arguments for the brands that DO honor their guarantees, but once
bitten twice shy for us po folks. Jetlight take me away...

that and the chinese rocks $2.39 http://www.dx.com/p/compact-1300-c-b...9#.U5oUtvldWSo
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Yup, bought one on my own and it clogged up after about three refills. Swore I'd never use one again. Got another a year or so as a gift. Thought well I might as well see if this one is any better. Nope. Clogged again. From everyone I've talked to with Colibri lighters I'd say 90% of them are not happy with them.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I really like my Blazer lighter. Not as inexpensive as the Ronson's or DX lighters, but it has never failed in 3 years.

My problem with the Ronson's is that the distance between the flame and the igniter is so small that I tend to burn my fingers when using them.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I really like my Blazer lighter. Not as inexpensive as the Ronson's or DX lighters, but it has never failed in 3 years.

My problem with the Ronson's is that the distance between the flame and the igniter is so small that I tend to burn my fingers when using them.

I've been meaning to try a Blazer for years, now is a good time to do so.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
Xolotal Mungin
bon vivant

First Name: Xolotal
Trading: (0)
Xolotal Mungin is on a distinguished road

I have to second (or third or fourth) this. And I'm stupid enough to have bought a number of Colibri lighters. I would just spot a model that looked nice and throw it on the counter. Then, once I noticed how many dead ones I had - and a more restrictive budget - I swore NEVER AGAIN. In contrast, my Corona Old Boy style pipe lighter has worked well for.. damn, since the '90s? with one service.

My cheap Vector is working fine and I had a Blazer that went to hell and back that got lost before it ever broke.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 AM   #12
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Ronson jetlite ftw. They are the Bic of the jet flame world. My only gripe -if you could call it that- is no window to see how much fluid is left. But I'm old school. I just put the closed lighter up to my ear and give it a gentle shake to see if it needs.refilling.

I don't see a lighter as a status symbol. I see it as a tool. And if it works well, then it's a good tool.