Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #2981
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navydoc View Post
Sounds like you need more friends to help
That would help for sure.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:31 AM   #2982
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I can jump in a little on the storage topic, I'm no expert but I've asked around a little. The general advice is no, you won't have any issues having a bunch of bottles open if you store them upright and out of direct sunlight. There is the possibility of oxidation, although that will likely take a few years and is based on the amount of air space in the bottle, so a bottle that is opened with one drink out of it will take a significantly longer time to notice the effects than one with only a splash left in it. Some people do "wet the corks" by tipping the bottle over although once a month is far too often, unlike with wine the high alcohol content in spirits will eat away at the cork and cause it to not seal well over time. Something like once every 6 months or year is fine if you're worried about long term storage. The "Move to decanter" trick is more about moving to smaller bottles, so if you have an expensive bottle of whiskey and you drink half but plan on saving the other half for long term you can move it to a 375ml bottle and fill it to the brim so there's less oxygen physically in the bottle interacting with the liquid. I have a friend who did something similar with his Michters 20, which is worth something like $5-6k these days. Once he got 1/3 through the bottle he just moved it all to 2oz jars so there would be no effect of oxygen on what is left. I went over his house and he handed me a 2oz jar to drink and an empty bottle to look at

The practical advice is don't worry about how long something has been open, but once you start getting below the halfway mark or lower maybe plan to finish that bottle off soon. I'm working through a significant purge right now trying to kill off most of my less than half full bottles before opening too many others. I have a friend who only keeps 30 bottles open at a time, I aspire to be as disciplined as that but I'm probably triple that right now, but working in the right direction!
Old 12-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #2983
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I can jump in a little on the storage topic, I'm no expert but I've asked around a little. The general advice is no, you won't have any issues having a bunch of bottles open if you store them upright and out of direct sunlight. There is the possibility of oxidation, although that will likely take a few years and is based on the amount of air space in the bottle, so a bottle that is opened with one drink out of it will take a significantly longer time to notice the effects than one with only a splash left in it. Some people do "wet the corks" by tipping the bottle over although once a month is far too often, unlike with wine the high alcohol content in spirits will eat away at the cork and cause it to not seal well over time. Something like once every 6 months or year is fine if you're worried about long term storage. The "Move to decanter" trick is more about moving to smaller bottles, so if you have an expensive bottle of whiskey and you drink half but plan on saving the other half for long term you can move it to a 375ml bottle and fill it to the brim so there's less oxygen physically in the bottle interacting with the liquid. I have a friend who did something similar with his Michters 20, which is worth something like $5-6k these days. Once he got 1/3 through the bottle he just moved it all to 2oz jars so there would be no effect of oxygen on what is left. I went over his house and he handed me a 2oz jar to drink and an empty bottle to look at

The practical advice is don't worry about how long something has been open, but once you start getting below the halfway mark or lower maybe plan to finish that bottle off soon. I'm working through a significant purge right now trying to kill off most of my less than half full bottles before opening too many others. I have a friend who only keeps 30 bottles open at a time, I aspire to be as disciplined as that but I'm probably triple that right now, but working in the right direction!

That's some good info, thanks.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #2984
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

90 open bottles, Ben is the King!

Went a little easier on the octane than usual last night.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #2985
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
He's an animal! I try to keep it under 10 open at a time ... but sometimes it creeps up to 15 ... great excuse to put in some extra work to get it back down to 10
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #2986
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah, wow!!!

I have three open bottles of Bourbon and Scotch, and two each of Irish, Rum, and Vodka.

Apparently:
Old 12-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #2987
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Since I'm A "Newbie", I Open One At A Time & Drink It.
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #2988
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

You guys are clearly missing the moral of the story
Old 12-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #2989
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Some mistakes get made
That's alright, that's okay
You can think that you're in love
When you're really just engaged
Some mistakes get made
That's alright, that's okay
In the end it's better for me
That's the moral of this story

jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #2990
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

One less open bottle here.....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #2991
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

I don't think I have the barrel proof, but I wasn't big I the Elijah Craig.

My uncle just gifted me a subscription to Flaviar.com...looking forward to that!
Old 12-21-2021, 08:59 AM   #2992
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
I don't think I have the barrel proof, but I wasn't big I the Elijah Craig.

My uncle just gifted me a subscription to Flaviar.com...looking forward to that!
Elijah Craig Small Batch and Elijah Criag Barrel Proof are COMPLETELY different animals, Garry.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #2993
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Ahhh, I'll have to try that barrel proof then
Old 12-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #2994
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
Ahhh, I'll have to try that barrel proof then
It's the smoothest "high octane" Bourbon I've ever tasted.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #2995
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
One less open bottle here.....

Just picked up another bottle of ECBP from a local shop that dropped their allocated bourbons this morning. Doors opened at 10 am, but some guys started to line up at 2:30am. I was towards the back of the line, but they had listed 59 bottles and only half were gone by the time I got to the counter. One bottle per person per day.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #2996
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I've heard less-than-great things about pretty much all of the 2021 ECBP batches, I haven't tried any myself but I'm curious, still one of the best deals out there for 12 year age stated barrel proof bourbon
Old 12-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #2997
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
Just picked up another bottle of ECBP from a local shop that dropped their allocated bourbons this morning. Doors opened at 10 am, but some guys started to line up at 2:30am. I was towards the back of the line, but they had listed 59 bottles and only half were gone by the time I got to the counter. One bottle per person per day.
One of the few allocated bottles I can usually find when it first drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I've heard less-than-great things about pretty much all of the 2021 ECBP batches, I haven't tried any myself but I'm curious, still one of the best deals out there for 12 year age stated barrel proof bourbon
After such great batches in 2020, I have been disappointed in the first 2 2021 batches I tried, A & B. When I saw C921 was around the same proof as B521, I passed at the B was too light for my palate.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #2998
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

So, the regional Spec's store in Dallas had a drop today, as did the main store in Houston and another regional in San Antonio. To say it was massive was an understatement. Spec's sent out an email of the event with a list of bourbons on it, but I wasn't aware of the true size. People started lining up yesterday at 7am. By 6am today, there was 350 people in line. I decided sleep was a better option, now I am not sure. The initial list included, Blanton's, Sazerac Rye, Well 107, WFP, W12, Four Roses, Old Forester Barrel Strength, Whislepig 18, Bakers Single Barrel and several others. Turns out is was an atomic bomb of a drop. They had 500 bottles of Weller FP, W12, Blanton's (both the 750ML and 325ML bottles), Stagg Jr. The other bottles were in the 100s for each. You were limited to one bottle from each line. The firs ten people in line got ORVW or a BTAC bottle. I aam kicking myself for not going, but I knew the line was going to be crazy. Here are some photos from social media on the tables at opening.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:43 PM   #2999
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Wow! That is great for those that caught it
Old 12-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #3000
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

Had a great Knob Creek single barrel pick Manhattan today!
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote