Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-04-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Gomez Sanchez 1RA Generacion Leyenda #2

This cigar is part of the Micallef brand yet its called Gomez Sanchez after the family that the Micallef’s partnered up with to create their cigars. The 1ra generacion leyenda No.2 is blended by Don Pedro F. Gomez, the patriarch of the family before his death and his grandsons make the cigar now in his honor. I got this cigar at the intertabac trade show in September 2017.

The blend consists of aged Nicaraguan, Dominican, Honduran and Ecuadorian tobaccos, of which the Ecuadorian Habano the wrapper is and after rolling the cigars are aged for another year before they are shipped out to distributers and/or retailers, something Cubans should pay attention to. The blend is only available in one vitola, a torpedo, which they like to call a tempered figured, and I just realized that all Micallef and Gomez Sanchez blends are available in one vitola.

The first thing I see is the shape, its a torpedo but with a very long and pointy head. The second thing I notice is the ring, that is so different from the ones with the Micallef names, instead of that eastern European feel this feels much more Spanish influenced, darker colors, brown, orange, red and golden with open parts in the ring, which is a nice detail. The Gomez Sanchez name in gold on an orange ring, over a brown bottom. Then just underneath that another brown ring with golden outlines and the leyenda no.2 name and a footing in the same colors with Micallef family, Gomez Sanchez Family. The wrapper is smooth and very dark, like dark chocolate. The shape is unique and the cigar feels well made. The aroma is medium strong and reminds me of a barnyard.

Even though the skinny head of the cigar, the cold draw is great after a cut with my double guillotine cutter. I taste a sticky, thick, sultana flavor. After lighting I taste a weird, meaty and sticky flavor. The flavor doesn’t change much except that it turns a little sweeter and a little pepper shows up. After a third I taste that meaty, sticky wood, sort of like a wood paste, with some sugar. The final third is woody, sweet, a little spicy and peppery. The final puffs are peppery.

The draw is great. The ash is white and dense. It’s not too firm, it breaks easily. The smoke is medium in thickness and volume. The burn is decent. This is a medium bodied and medium flavored cigar. The smoke time is an hour and a half.

Would I buy this cigar again? Because of the premium msrp of 20 dollars I had high expectations that weren’t met, not by far.

Score: 85

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...ion-leyenda-2/