Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
pathfinderseven

Default New to Pipe Smoking

I have never smoked a pipe in my life and I am looking into pipes and tobacco to start a new way to relax and excape the every day muck that goes on with being deployed. I find that smoking cigars allows me to break free and relax after my day. I am deployed to Afghanistan and I am searching the web for a good site to purchase pipes and the good stuff that goes in them. Any thoughts or expert advise let me know. Thanks from Bagram, Afghanistan.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New to Pipe Smoking

If www.frenchyspipes.com can't set you right, I will.

Read his "Cobs" page, first. Cobs are easy to learn with, inexpensive and make excellent pipes for environments that might beat the snot out of a fancy briar. Most all of us smoke them and we like them. Frenchy has a starter kit that includes some tobacco, pipe cleaners and a tamper. He'll start you off in a good direction.

All other questions are discussed in one place, enough to make you dangerous - http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...d1b87db15204e0

Light the way.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 03-31-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
If www.frenchyspipes.com can't set you right, I will.

Light the way.
Mister Moo knows his stuff

Frenchy will take care of you. Frenchy is a Marine, so he is very respectful of all the people who serve. I ordered from him and he threw in some extra things (lighter and a pipe pouch) just for serving. I really appreciated it.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Go with a Cobb Pipe first, then look into other types.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
morefifemusic

x3 on Frenchy. Going with him over a company like pipesandcigars or smokingpipes may be better with International shipping as well (though those are both great retailers).
Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Go with a Cobb Pipe first
Folks who are not-in-the-know may dismiss corncob pipes as silly but, make no mistake, they very satisfying pipes for novices and experts alike. They are ideal for smoking inexpensive, popular burley blends (Carter Hall, Prince Albert, etc.) and the heavily aromatic tobaccos (cherry, peach, vanilla, etc.) that many novices favor. Cobs also work very well with Virginia tobaccos, Virginia/Perique blends and Virginia/burley blends. A cob can be smoked repeatedly without the dry-out time briar requires; they tend to smoke cool; and they have no break-in issues beyond burning out the wood stem and, maybe, tasting a hint of corn from the first bowl or two. And, at $5.00/copy, it doesn't matter if you drop it - over and over. The only drawback, if you consider it one, is that cobs don't hold a big fill of tobacco. Speaking for myself, I like a 20-30 minute smoke the Legend provides; the larger chambered Great Dane is good for 30-45 minutes which I find just right.

A meerschaum pipe shares characteristics with a cob (no ghosting of flavors, no issues with moisture, relatively cool smoking, not terribly expensive) but, made of clay, won't bounce if you drop it. If you prefer to start with a meer, make sure it comes with a fitted hardshell case. They do not "soften" a smoke like a cob or briar will - the flavor is "right there" where you can taste it.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 04-01-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

I would agree with everything stated already when talking about going with a cob to start with and to get it from Frenchy. I also really love my meer. As Moo said with the meer the flavor is right there in your face with them. So sitting back contemplating what that sublte taste is with them doesnt happen.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
kzm007

Cobs are all I use at the moment; quick, cheap, and in my case, I like the minis for a brief smoke break. Paid $2.50 for two shipped online - ebay has good deals if you can get them in bulk.

Kegan
Old 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
ghe

There's a world of information on the Internet and on this site. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you go along. There are many people on this forum really know their stuff and can help you tremendously as you go along.