Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #21
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Espresso Machine recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
If not superauto, don't forget the best brewer is useless without a capable grinder. Grinder really should come first - the better, the better, one for life.
What Grinders Do You Recommend, Dan?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #22
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Love my Rancilio.
Had my Rancilio set up going on 15 years and it's still running strong. All I have replaced is a thremostat and group head gasket (done that a few times).

Rancilio is as cheap as I would buy if I were doing it again. There is a certain level of base cost to really do it well, or you'll never be happy and end up buying it over... Espresso is an expensive game to get into, but once you have the set up, you are good to go for many years.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #23
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

If you're looking to spend ~$500 you can get a great machine for sure. Having said that, I was NOT looking to spend that. I looked at some cheaper options and the best one I think you can buy for under $100 is this one:

Mr. Coffee ECMP50

It's a pump (as opposed to steam) and makes a pretty dang good cup of espresso with an excellent crema. The only problems are it's very automatic and you can't really tailor it to your taste. On the other hand, it's very automatic and easy to use lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #24
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Espresso is an expensive game to get into, but once you have the set up, you are good to go for many years.
This is the best point of all. ON THE FRONT END, you can't convince a brother NOT to spend a
hundred bucks on an Espresso machine, and not talking specifically about anyone here,
since it was only just brought up. But I am talking about the buying something three times
instead of once. Bottom line is espresso is good and espresso is expensive, for a reason. It's not
a cheap game, so looking for cheap buy-ins to an expensive game is a no-win sitcho. I think
its at least one of those deals where you can taste the money. When I first read this thread,
I went and shopped a bit. I realized by the time I had done as much research as I would have needed
to do, that I was being priced out. I LOVE espresso, but I do not drink coffee daily, much less visit
St@arbucks enough to make a machine practical. In fact never been into a St@rbucks. So if I wanted
strong coffee I would have to MAKE it strong. Now, maybe one day when I have a house and am old...
For now, saving money as hard as I am, I will just have to cold brew some strong coffee and pretend.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
This is the best point of all. ON THE FRONT END, you can't convince a brother NOT to spend a
hundred bucks on an Espresso machine, and not talking specifically about anyone here,
since it was only just brought up. But I am talking about the buying something three times
instead of once. Bottom line is espresso is good and espresso is expensive, for a reason. It's not
a cheap game, so looking for cheap buy-ins to an expensive game is a no-win sitcho. I think
its at least one of those deals where you can taste the money. When I first read this thread,
I went and shopped a bit. I realized by the time I had done as much research as I would have needed
to do, that I was being priced out. I LOVE espresso, but I do not drink coffee daily, much less visit
St@arbucks enough to make a machine practical. In fact never been into a St@rbucks. So if I wanted
strong coffee I would have to MAKE it strong. Now, maybe one day when I have a house and am old...
For now, saving money as hard as I am, I will just have to cold brew some strong coffee and pretend.
I completely agree with this. If you do have the money (which it sounds like you do want to spend enough), get a good machine. I know mine will break sooner rather than later, at which point I will hopefully be able to get a nicer machine
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #26
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

After being in the espresso game for a while, the Rancilio is the minimum I would suggest to anyone wanting to get into making it a home.

Remember, that even in Europe, these machines are not cheap so it's not a "because it's imported..." or something like that.

The super automatics are cool, but never make as good espresso as you could do with semi-automatic machine and when they break is a lot more complicated to fix.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #27
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
What Grinders Do You Recommend, Dan?
He's probably going to tell you Mazzer Mini, which would be yet another tidbit of wisdom from Mr. Moo as they are hard to beat.

Personally, I'm a happy owner of the Macap M4.

Since we're all agreeing it's not cheap, I'd encourage the buyer to look seriously into a machine with an E61 grouphead and say goodbye to temp surfing.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
jldude12345
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
jldude12345 is on a distinguished road

I have just about every type of coffee maker including 4 different espresso machines. My favorite is my Nespresso espresso machine! It's the simplest to use and they have a variety of pods to choose from and they are really good quality coffees which make a great shot of espresso. The only drawback is you have to buy pods from nespresso which only take a day or two to deliver.
jldude12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #29
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

I love my Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder. It doesn't come with a doser though.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=14902422
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote