Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
ahc4353

Default Packaging and Shipping Information

With the help of a friend I give to you some great information. Actual posters name at the bottom of each section.

"What follows are some notes I'd have liked
to have seen that facilitate trading/NST/PIF/Bombing
shipping to a degree. This is US centric, apologies to non US CS members (you can ship overseas though).

New here? Participating in an NST/PIF? This howto is for you.

So... you are new here (or not so new for that matter).

Here are a few things I've found very helpful, most are
self evident with experience -- something I suffered a lack
of when I first ventured into gorilla trading land.

I hate lines. Have I mentioned I hate lines? Those at the post office
especially.

I also hate paying for packing materials.

I especially hate overpaying for both boxes and postage at MBE, UPS store etc..

The solution to both you ask?

The USPS website.
Boxes - Free.
Online postage - Discounted, all you need is a printer and paper.
Tracking is also free.

Simple - you place the stogies in a box, tape or otherwise affix the label you printed and drop it in a mailbox, schedule carrier pickup or drop off @ a post office.

No fuss no muss no lines and *minimal* cost.

Other things I think might be helpful:

1. Save boxes, bubble wrap etc. you receive. these can usually be reused.
2. Newspaper balled up artfully can serve as a bubble wrap replacement.
2a.The smokes should *not* rattle around in the box!
3. Especially on NSTs, Newbie PIFs and bombs the inclusion of a note describing the contents and what you like (no dislikes here right?) about them is a good idea.
3a. unless someone frantically trying to figure out (google) what the heck you sent them seems fun.
4. Share tracking numbers w/ the recipient (or post in thread as appropriate).
5. Be prompt - if you can't ship when expected due to RL issues or even
flakyness let the recipient know what is going on (or post in thread as appropriate).
5. Ziplocs are good, vacu packing (food saver) is better.
6. Consider including some kind of humidification device (beads w/ mesh or whatever).
6a.I usually include one if I think shippng will be more than 72 hours or if it is unusually hot. ZipLoc or vacu pack is OK for a couple of days on most cases IMHO.
7.Let the folks know you received their package. Post Pictures or a lisr where appropriate.
8.Give trader feedback the good, the bad and even the ugly where warranted.
9. Last but not least - Enjoy! This is a great community.

Bests

Jon" (j6ppc)

"I use priority mail. The free boxes partially offset the shipping cost. The most popular sizes are the 1096S or 1096L (Video mailer size) They and all the other sizes can be ordered below for free. Most sizes are no longer carried at your local post office so you can only get them here.
(You need to create an account no worries the stuff is free including the shipping to you)

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...tegoryId=13354

Sending cigars is cool. You should take proper care in packaging them to ensure they arrive in good condition. Putting the cigars in plastic is a must.

Getting specialized packaging is not necessary but ... hey if you're into it here we go.

The slotted (3 cigar or 5) baggies can be purchased here..

http://fujipub.com/gargoyle/cigarbags.html

Bags for single sticks. I recommend either the 2 x 8 or the 2 x 10

http://www.gtbag.com/zipplain.html

Resealable bubble wrap containers. the 6 x 8.5's are good as you can put the five slotted bag into it and then it fits into the 1096 priority mail box's. In both cases you will need to fold the ends/sides a bit but I think that helps keep the contents from moving around. Have seen folks use both (putting a 1096s inside of a 1096L The USPS supplies are found in the first link of this post.

The resealable bubble wrap bags are here:

http://www.shippingsupply.com/store/pc/bubble-bags.asp

Always ensure that your cigars do not rattle around inside the package, I keep a box of inbound packaging from things I receive (Bubble wrap) to use for shipping larger items.

You can buy a shrink wrap machine. I used to use it on all packages. Now just on boxes and when I feel like it. If you use one be careful not to scrunch the cigars. Best to put the cigars in a divided bag then in the bubble wrap bag before shrink wrapping. Instant seal, or variable seal is an important feature if you buy one.

Always buy a Delivery Confirmation. If you use the on line service they are free.

Da Klugs"
Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Packaging and Shipping Information

Thanks Al.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
dccraft

Good info Al. I'm going to have to get hooked up for the on-line postage setup. I still go to the post office.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
The slotted (3 cigar or 5) baggies can be purchased here..

http://fujipub.com/gargoyle/cigarbags.html
This link appears to be broken, redirects to http://fujipub.com/cigar/index.html
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
ahc4353

Sorry Jeff. Old post. Maybe one of the guys will chime in on where to get the bags.

Al
Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
mrreindeer

Great post Al!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Sorry Jeff. Old post. Maybe one of the guys will chime in on where to get the bags.

Al
No worries. I did a little poking around, and was able to find 3-finger bags here, among others. I haven't had much luck finding a link for the 5-finger bags.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
No worries. I did a little poking around, and was able to find 3-finger bags here, among others. I haven't had much luck finding a link for the 5-finger bags.
They are no longer being made, read the story here

Another tip is when shipping to another country use a Priority Flat Rate envelope. A Larger Video box will fit inside the envelope and the shipping will be much less. Not originally my idea so do not give me credit. I have however done this several times and it works great.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote