Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Bonavita drip machine review or My journey to simple and great coffee

Thought I'd share this with ya'll coffee nutso's

I'm not a coffee roaster, well maybe one day, but I enjoy a good cup, but I'm happy with simple and really can't see myself spending more than about $300 for a coffee maker. I've had french presses, pour overs, you name it, and at one time had a technivorum mochapot at work (coworker was really into coffee).

In any case at home I have usually rolled with a french press but more often just a simple drip machine. I have always found that good beans freshly ground gave me the best bang for buck improvements in quality and just kept using a drip machine. Went through a few over the years. The last purchase was a all in one Cuisanart when me and the misses got serious and I had to make enough coffee for two. I thought the all in one would be nice in the morning not having to fool with grinding and set up all. After all how cool is it that you set a timer and it grinds then brews without having to get up?

Well I was wrong about all in one. It was a pain to clean and set up every night. I got to the point were I was just putting beans in in the morning. So nothing saved and the grinder was a blade and ground coarse and used WAYYY more beans than I was used too to get it right. Well after just a year it went tits up with the drip part clogging up and decalcifying not working to fix it.

So I went looking for a simple, good cofee maker. Talked with some people and online (sorry never got around to asking my CA brothers for help, oops) looked at a lot of reviews and found the BonaVita. Said it got water to 195-200 etc.

So I took the leap and bought one:

IMAG0169 by kydsid, on Flickr

Very simple well built machine. No timer, no parts to connect that might break etc. It is only 8 cups, but that is enough to fill our two travel mugs after both of us have a cup while getting ready in the morning. So far in love with this thing. I will say nearly as good as a mochapot, and for less than half the price of a mochapot that is saying a lot too me. Also as good as a french press, not as oily of extraction as french press, which yes I like, but for the ease of use AND cleaning this will be my go too during the week. Highly recomended if you are looking to get a drip machine. Also not bulky and the misses likes how it looks in the kitchen, which is always important
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bonavita drip machine review or My journey to simple and great cof

Thanks for the review. I don't see myself ever going back to a drip machine after getting used to a french press, but I see how it would be nice and easy in the morning. I work at an office and leave all my required items here so I can show up a few minutes early everyday to make a press. The all in one machine sounds awesome, but it is a shame it didn't hold up.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Bonavita drip machine review or My journey to simple and great cof

So finally got the new setup done. Decided on the Capresso Infinity Burr grinder. Finding a grinder sub $200 or there abouts is a pain in the ass. Based on online reviews they all equally suck and are equally awesome. The finalists were the Breville and the Capresso. The Capresso is doing a bang up job so far.

We hit up a couple of the local roasters yesterday. So I am sitting here with a fresh ground and brewed cup of Chuck's Blend from House of Java. Excellente, cafe if I do say so myself. Not fancy cappucino or whatnot just good and hearty coffee. Enjoy all.

IMAG0190 by kydsid, on Flickr
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote