Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough
Default Boveda vs The Competition

So how many of you have seen this little video by Boveda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPqKLkBLFU

In it Boveda claims to be "The only true two way humidity system"

I would think that in order for HF beads to do that all the salt solution would have to be washed off of them. Then they would have to be fully saturated with water. I mean you can make Boveda packs do the same thing , by overcharging them to the point that the salt can longer effectively control the RH. On an 8g boveda pack this point of over saturation is around 9.5grams (as determined by members here , T.G. and Shilala)
Link - http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...harging+boveda

Now what is interesting about the video , is that the HF beads took 10 minutes or so to reach 70% RH. While the boveda packs (4 times the neccassary amount) , took 2.5 hours (15x times longer than the HF). While the HF beads continue on to 100% , as a result of being used improperly this still makes an interesting point about evaporative surface area. Even four boveda packs dont have nearly the same surface area as the single tube of HF beads (HCM having significantly more surface area yet). This means that if Boveda had used one pack in this experiment it should have taken 10 hours to bring the RH up 70%.

One day someone should do a little study and do a true comparison , Boveda , HCM , HF , Cigar Mechanic , HBS , Kitty Litter and maybe some Ebay beads or something. Maybe myself if I get the time, hygros , Tupperware and ambition.

Right now my aristocrat plus 48 , takes around a minute or so to reach 68RH after opening the door , depending on how long I am in there , what the ambient RH is etc. That's with Bobs S&F and about 11ish pounds of HCM beads (triple the recommended amount :P) And the odd time the S&F does run , it only runs for a few moments , generally less then 10 seconds :P