Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice
Question Wineador going out?

KoldFront 28-bottle model.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, it was holding steady...on it's warmest setting...at 65F. Lately it's been around 70F. So I tried dialing it a little cooler. It's now around 65F, but it's running constantly. So much so that it's condensing onto my carpet. Even though the hole is plugged. It's coming out at the bottom of the shell.

With that said, when the temp was around 70, the RH stayed around 60. Before the temp change, it was rock-solid at 66RH. Even with the temp dialed cooler, it's still around 60RH...which to me would indicate it's running all the time.

I unplugged it and let it sit for a couple of days. RH is back to 65-66. So I don't believe it's the media, as I've been diligent on monitoring it.

Thoughts?

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wineador going out?

Looking into buying my first cool so I will follow this... best of luck.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
dgold21
Why do I gotta be Mr Pink

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
SCdlH
dgold21 is on a distinguished road

Did you make sure the internal circulating fan is spinning?
dgold21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgold21 View Post
Did you make sure the internal circulating fan is spinning?
Fan is spinning.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I don't know your specific fridge, so I'll only comment generally. If you are collecting a large volume of condensate, then, there must be a sizable source of moist air to supply the water vapor. In other words, a leak. It could be leaking into your humidor space or into the shell around it.

The leak and the extra condensate will require the cooling system to work harder, so that may be why it's having trouble holding temperature.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Check your door seal and adjust the door if the unit allows it. These units need to sit on a good, solid surface. They're cheap and they'll rack in time. (Come out of square from side to side or back corners to fronts corners.)
Sometimes the gasket slips and doesn't seal anything. Readjust it and use some auto tape to hold it in place if necessary.

What I can tell you is that your winador is fine, mechanically, as far as the cooling cycle goes. If it's working so hard that condensate is flowing out the door bottom, that's your tell.
Now here's something SUPER WACKY that just occurred to me...
If the water is running out on the floor through the door seal, I'll bet you dollars to dogsh1t that is where your seal has cracked. A good seal seals. Not just air, but it should easily hold back any amount of condensate the unit can produce.
You can try silicone grease on the face of the seal, too. That might be enough to make it seal real well for ya. My guess is a crack or a slip, so check it super careful.
Good luck, my man!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Check your door seal and adjust the door if the unit allows it. These units need to sit on a good, solid surface. They're cheap and they'll rack in time. (Come out of square from side to side or back corners to fronts corners.)
Sometimes the gasket slips and doesn't seal anything. Readjust it and use some auto tape to hold it in place if necessary.

What I can tell you is that your winador is fine, mechanically, as far as the cooling cycle goes. If it's working so hard that condensate is flowing out the door bottom, that's your tell.
Now here's something SUPER WACKY that just occurred to me...
If the water is running out on the floor through the door seal, I'll bet you dollars to dogsh1t that is where your seal has cracked. A good seal seals. Not just air, but it should easily hold back any amount of condensate the unit can produce.
You can try silicone grease on the face of the seal, too. That might be enough to make it seal real well for ya. My guess is a crack or a slip, so check it super careful.
Good luck, my man!!!
From one Scott to another, thanks for the wisdom. It's "dripping" from the rear of the unit. Follow the drain hole straight down to the little "shelf" just before the floor...it's collecting there.

It's sitting on carpet right now, I will try moving it into the kitchen (tile) and see if it helps.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

A picture's worth a thousand words, brother.
Sounds like the collection tray inside the unit is leaking. Probably around the drain hole. You might dry that and seal it up.
That's part two of your problem, though. You have a wicked leak. You gotta find that and get it fixed up.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
A picture's worth a thousand words, brother.
Sounds like the collection tray inside the unit is leaking. Probably around the drain hole. You might dry that and seal it up.
That's part two of your problem, though. You have a wicked leak. You gotta find that and get it fixed up.
Will snap one when I get home.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Cancel the red alert. Turns out my seal for the drainage hole came unsealed, but not visually.

Off to find odorless sealer tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, Scott.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

An unsealed hole will get you in trouble every time.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
An unsealed hole will get you in trouble every time.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Glad you found the problem Scotty! It's really cool how FOGs like Scott Shilala are so helpful with these kinds of problems.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

Nice!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Testing solution #1:

Untitled by lockspur74, on Flickr

MINI CORKS!