Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 11-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #4221
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
A 4 1/2 hr indirect cook between 225* and 250*. Bird is currently wrapped awaiting side dishes to complete...

Dammit Mark I thought I was over my turkey cravings for this weekend! That bird looks damn good!
Old 11-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #4222
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
A 4 1/2 hr indirect cook between 225* and 250*. Bird is currently wrapped awaiting side dishes to complete...

Beautiful looking bird Mark. I used the side firebox for our Thanksgiving bird as I do most years. Trouble maintaining temp this year because we were low 30s and a stiff wind. Fortunately I started at 06:30 so the bird was finished at 13:30. 25 pounds of charcoal plus three apple logs over 7 hours for an 18 pound turkey.

Only problem I have with doing turkey this way is I always end up with skin that's more leathery than crisp. But I can't imagine going back to oven roasting and losing the flavor I get now.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #4223
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Pete, we're going to need some update pics.
Forgot to post the finished result, and never even saw this post! So here it is. 7 hours, tough time regulating the temp, but with it being about 20 degrees I wasn't surprised. Turned out really good especially with the injected marinade. Also got a really nice smoke ring on it!

Old 11-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #4224
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Dammit Mark I thought I was over my turkey cravings for this weekend! That bird looks damn good!
Thanks Michael. Tasted good too! As side dishes, we had sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and gravy made from the turkey drippings

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
Beautiful looking bird Mark. I used the side firebox for our Thanksgiving bird as I do most years. Trouble maintaining temp this year because we were low 30s and a stiff wind. Fortunately I started at 06:30 so the bird was finished at 13:30. 25 pounds of charcoal plus three apple logs over 7 hours for an 18 pound turkey.

Only problem I have with doing turkey this way is I always end up with skin that's more leathery than crisp. But I can't imagine going back to oven roasting and losing the flavor I get now.
Thanks Tim. That sounds like some challenging weather conditions to do a bird in. It was in the 60*s out this way, overcast with clouds threatening of rain. Fairly easy smoking conditions. I agree with you, pretty had to revert back to the gas oven for this annual meal
Old 11-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #4225
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Looks great Mark!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #4226
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Forgot to post this the other day. This is the bird from Thanksgiving done with Magic Dust and a few hours on the Traeger!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #4227
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Well, I smoked some pork neckbones last night, I wanted them smoked before I put them in a pot of Pinto beans,
and man, was it devastating. I went out to shoot some photos of a few bands last night, left them on low and
covered for the entire 4-5 hours. Unbelievable....just PERFECT. Extremely bony, which means I suck.
and suck, and suck. Wow, what a flavor.

And then tonight, since I had the fever again, I cut a butt down into 4 big slabs and put it on the smoker.
I am counting on this being a little dry, but as much as I love the idea of a true, slow smoked butt, the
flavor once you get past the bark is SO BORING. I love pork roast, but once its cold, the flavor goes off some.
So this way, MAYBE I get a lot more bark than blah.

yeah, its Me....surprised
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoked neckbones.jpg (107.3 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg Butt.jpg (121.3 KB, 381 views)
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #4228
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post

And then tonight, since I had the fever again, I cut a butt down into 4 big slabs and put it on the smoker.
I am counting on this being a little dry, but as much as I love the idea of a true, slow smoked butt, the
flavor once you get past the bark is SO BORING. I love pork roast, but once its cold, the flavor goes off some.
So this way, MAYBE I get a lot more bark than blah.

yeah, its Me....surprised

I agree Brad, once you get past the bark, butt from supermarket pork is pretty boring. Commercial pork has gone the way of the supermarket tomato, bred for size and appearance and in the process, turned flavorless.

I've taken to 24+ hour brining and injecting the heck out of supermarket stuff for this reason. Only time I don't do it is when I buy the heritage breed seed feed pork from one of the local farmers - it doesn't need it since it actually has flavor.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #4229
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

It came out really nice, I was worried it would be bone dry, but the slow cook seemed to simply make for four slabs
of nice, barky, juicy meat. I pulled it and put it in the freezer to take to my mother for my holiday visit.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #4230
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Dammit! Looking at this thread is making me want to get the smoker out again and smoke something for Christmas. I usually pick thanksgiving or christmas but i'm thinking this holiday season needs a twofer. Although it's not really hard to convince me to smoke anything. "geez you all want me to hang out smoking a pork shoulder this year? Well, i guess i will as long as you buy the wood, the pork shoulder, and buy me this list of cigars that i can enjoy while smoking i MIGHT do it" They fall for it every time!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #4231
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Pork! it's what's for dinner!!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #4232
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
It came out really nice, I was worried it would be bone dry, but the slow cook seemed to simply make for four slabs
of nice, barky, juicy meat. I pulled it and put it in the freezer to take to my mother for my holiday visit.
That's a great idea Brad; never thought of it for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for sharing and will this be your go to method from now on? Thanks.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #4233
OLS
Suck It

I think I am going to do this from now on Steve. I know that purists will still do what they do, and maybe they
get better smoke penetration than me, besides. But there is enough fat in a butt to make for great bark no matter
how you cut it up. I had to stop flaying it near the bone, but where I could easily cut it away, I did so. I like it.
It is the one smoked meat I hate to do, simply because the payoff is so weak. Now it is back in contention.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #4234
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

tupacboy is on a distinguished road

any of you guys use halal meat ?

supposedly no hormones etc?

just wondering what some of your experiences are with it...
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #4235
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I use grass feed beef if making pot roast as it makes a huge difference. I've tried various kinds of other meets including kosher/halal etc and while I noted differences they never where enough to justify the difficulty and cost.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #4236
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

tupacboy is on a distinguished road

"Halal meat should be antibiotic and hormone free, and the practice of draining the animal’s blood may reduce the amount of toxins in the meat. "

guess its not technically grass fed... but does seems better then regular meat...

run the same risk of it all being bs as organic etc... hope the vendor is honest
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #4237
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

For Christmas, I cold smoked a few blocks of sharp & medium cheddar, longhorn cheddar, pepper jack, Colby jack, Mozzarella, and some proscutio wrapper mozzarella. I few I sold to people who had tried them before, some I gave as gifts and some I took to various Christmas parties.
I made enough money selling some of them to pay for the entire cheese lot. I may start putting orders up on FB for other friends to buy and make myself some cigar and bourbon money~
Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #4238
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Started off by corning a brisket as a test run for St. Patty's Day, but had some friends over and roasted a couple of ducks instead. Now I have moved on and I'm going to try my hand at making it into pastrami for the Super Bowl. This goes on the Traegar tomorrow morning.

tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #4239
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Howdy fellas. Got the smoker going, got some apple pie moonshine brewing, and I'm about to throw some chicken legs on the grill. time to break out the beer. I love Saturdays. Can't wait til tomorrow to eat/drink all these delicious treats. Well, the chicken legs are for today. I might even try to brave the cold for a cigar, a small one.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #4240
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Super Bowl Sunday folks! I got some baby racks about to go on the smoker. What about y'all?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote