Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default punctuation strike

its on

no more caps commas periods etc just free form stream of consciousness without the rules meant to trap us and restrict our creativity in the name of proper form the concern over is this a run on sentence should this be a comma or semi colon those with punctuation skills can insert it where appropriate or where the sun doesnt shine as required talk about stress reduction this is true freedom from grammar nazi oppression real or perceived should have done this long ago thank you pocket protector brethren for the final push its as if the heavens have opened up for this unwashed grammar challenged contributor no more angst over hanging participles no depression over similes disguised as metaphors sentence structure is now thought structure eliminating rules of the road satirically speaking well i guess thats typing

Last edited by Da Klugs; 04-23-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: punctuation strike

Although your spelling is simply exquisite!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

daklugs aka james joyce
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkMEgkI
Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
leasingthisspace

i think i am going to like this thread alot because i suck at grammar and most of the time spell words wrong but sometimes i know i do not know how to spell a certian work so i have to pick a lesser word because i know how to spell instead
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

please note this is a punctuation strike not a grammar strike please conduct yourselves accordingly

that was the hardest thing ive ever had to type

so long have i been oppressed by the punctuation regime that i simply cannot exist in this overwhelmingly ungoverned literary style im leaving before my head explodes again

i wish you all the best my friends

Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
leasingthisspace

crystal you will be missed dearly
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
its on

no more caps commas periods etc just free form stream of consciousness without the rules meant to trap us and restrict our creativity in the name of proper form the concern over is this a run on sentence should this be a comma or semi colon those with punctuation skills can insert it where appropriate or where the sun doesnt shine as required talk about stress reduction this is true freedom from grammar nazi oppression real or perceived should have done this long ago thank you pocket protector brethren for the final push its as if the heavens have opened up for this unwashed grammar challenged contributor no more angst over hanging participles no depression over similes disguised as metaphors sentence structure is now thought structure eliminating rules of the road satirically speaking well i guess thats typing
William Faulkner? I thought you were dead

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

not punctuation free but a nifty definition of the run on sentence of which many here seem to suffer for gawd knows what reason that i cannot make out but if i could i would still refuse to acknowledge as such acknowledgment is tacit approval of behavior which is abhorrent to the minds of the mainstream by which i mean that many will not be able to fathom let alone appreciate the subtlety of the nuance contained therein

but i digress

The Run-on Sentence is a commonly used literary device, in some cases going so far as to take up very large spaces the amount of a whole paragraph, continuing on for a very long while without any sign of a exclamation point, question mark, or even a simple period to close it off and begin a new sentence, usually containing a large mass of commas and occasionally semicolons in their places, and going very far on beyond any point of real usefulness, and then some, continuing much further than needed, which is like this entire introductory paragraph for the reason that there are no full stops, (known as periods to some people) in this entire sentence—this being, of course, for the sole purpose of making this sentence long enough to be in extremely bad taste and seem like it is never going to end, which, of course, is almost true, because even though this sentence has not stopped yet it is very likely to stop in the future, for even a run-on sentence such as this one is not very likely to have an infinite number of words, although it can have such a large amount of words that nobody in their right mind would actually want to read the entire thing, unless they found it comical or interesting, for the simple reason that it is very, very long, long enough, in fact, to take up the entire page when written in a reasonably large font, its length being its sole claim to fame, for the reason that sentences do not normally go on to such a length; while run-on sentences can be as long as this one, or even longer, without any sign of stopping, and in complete absence of the kind of punctuation that would usually end every sentence, because one of the most fundamental rules of proper sentence structure, namely that sentences have to be of a reasonable length and have a coherent structure, is being completely ignored in run-on sentences, which is the reason why most teachers forbid run-on sentences in essays and papers, as they are disruptive and confusing, and even a single run-on sentence can be so long as to make the essay much longer than it would normally be, without adding any content, because almost all run-on sentences lose focus after a point and just become a sequence of random ramblings, which, because they lack proper termination, can last for a very long period of time, but as said above, all run-on sentences must eventually end because they cannot have an infinite number of words, though the longer they get, the less effort needs to be put into them and at this point I could probably say anything I want and nobody in their right mind would actually read far enough to tell that I am getting completely off topic and should probably stop now, but I won't, the reason being that this being a run-on sentence it is not entirely necessary for me to be on topic or even remotely related to whatever I said to begin with; a run-on sentence in its entirety can be one insanely long piece of work, however usually they are created by mistakes by some student who understands nothing of the beauty of the English language and its grammatical tenets.

(from http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Run-on_sentence)
Old 04-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
crystal you will be missed dearly
Old 04-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnPpA...eature=related
Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
HawkEye19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jason
Trading: (6)
HawkEye19 is on a distinguished road

this strike brought to you by the ghost of ee cummings
HawkEye19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

i dont like this but it is easier to type
Old 04-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

i dont like it either comma but you are correct comma it is easier to type period

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKitty View Post
please note this is a punctuation strike not a grammar strike please conduct yourselves accordingly that was the hardest thing ive ever had to type so long have i been oppressed by the punctuation regime that i simply cannot exist in this overwhelmingly ungoverned literary style im leaving before my head explodes again i wish you all the best my friends
no fair using paragraphs to separate thoughts crystal i have edited out your unauthorized formatting and assignned 2 demerits to you for conforming to our grammar nazi oppressors
Old 04-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
Ollie
It's gon RAIN

Trading: (5)
Ollie is on a distinguished road

imboycottingspacesaswell
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
no fair using paragraphs to separate thoughts crystal i have edited out your unauthorized formatting and assignned 2 demerits to you for conforming to our grammar nazi oppressors
ohsnapcrystalhegotyou
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
potlimit
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
PL
potlimit is on a distinguished road

Back in college a classmate asked me to read over an essay he had to write for a communications class. The first word was marriage, but it was actually spelled "marege." As I overlooked that and began reading I soon began to realize that I hadn't been stopped by punctuation of any kind. I quickly scanned the essay only to find the only punctuation was a lone period at the end.

I shook my head and handed it back to my classmate in disgust. He tilted his head at me like a curious puppy and I explained it was unreadable without punctuation. He threw his head back in disbelief and says "Oh, come on man, don't worry about that it's not important. I can put that in later, I just want you to tell me if the story's good."

Now, I wasn't disgusted with the kid, I actually felt bad for him. No, it was the University I was unhappy with. How could they accept someone like him? Even worse, I can only imagine the shady dealings that went on at the high school that gave him a diploma. Unacceptable.

Sorry to rant,
Mase
potlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

maseyoudidnotfollowtherules
Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
imboycottingspacesaswell
LOL, that's funny right there-

What a bunch of ambiguaters and ungulaters....