Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #21
DougBushBC

Default Re: Birthday tomorrow, steak house here I come

Next time try something other than the Fillet. In general, the Fillet is going to have the absolute least flavor and really only brings tenderness and blandness to the party.

Try a nice strip steak, or a ribeye, or do my favorite, the end-cut ribeye (that with the Kernel of fat and the HUGE cap).

(fyi, I sell high end steaks to hotels and restaurants for a living, its kinda my expertise!)
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Ian talking about steak yesterday got me hankering. Picked up a whole tenderloin. Sliced some nice 2 1/2 inch thick steaks and cooked them to a perfect black and blue. Just had a simple baked potato, steamed broccoli, and salad as sides.

Thanks for the idea brother!!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
dubnick

FWIW Peter Luger's Au Gratin Potatoes are absolutely AMAZING!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #24
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
Next time try something other than the Fillet. In general, the Fillet is going to have the absolute least flavor and really only brings tenderness and blandness to the party.

Try a nice strip steak, or a ribeye, or do my favorite, the end-cut ribeye (that with the Kernel of fat and the HUGE cap).

(fyi, I sell high end steaks to hotels and restaurants for a living, its kinda my expertise!)
I'll be having Peter Lugars "steak for 2" next weekend when I'm in NYC. Can't wait!
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #25
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I've always been a fillet man, and I've always known that the other cuts have more flavor, but don't like the stuff that can't be chewed. Going for a nice steak tomorrow and I think I'll try something different (gonna floor our server to hear me NOT order a fillet). Thanks for the nudge.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #26
dubnick

Try a Flat Iron... One of my Favs
Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #27
DougBushBC

Dubnick is right, there is some GREAT flavor in some of the "Non-middle" meats. Fillet, Strip, and Ribeye (and their derivatives eg T-bone, KC Strip, Porter, Cowboy... list goes on) are not the end-all be-all in the steak world. The true flat-iron (which is cut from the shoulder clod and has a seam of grissle in the middle) is delicious, but for my dollar, the best buy is the Hanger Steak (or Onglet as the Frogs call it). It has immense flavor. Make sure you get a clean one if you are buying it to cook yourself, since it is really difficult to clean and some stores sell it with all the junk on it.

A great steak frites made with hanger and a nice Bordeaux sauce over some yukon gold fries is heaven on earth.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #28
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dubnick is right, there is some GREAT flavor in some of the "Non-middle" meats. Fillet, Strip, and Ribeye (and their derivatives eg T-bone, KC Strip, Porter, Cowboy... list goes on) are not the end-all be-all in the steak world. The true flat-iron (which is cut from the shoulder clod and has a seam of grissle in the middle) is delicious, but for my dollar, the best buy is the Hanger Steak (or Onglet as the Frogs call it). It has immense flavor. Make sure you get a clean one if you are buying it to cook yourself, since it is really difficult to clean and some stores sell it with all the junk on it.

A great steak frites made with hanger and a nice Bordeaux sauce over some yukon gold fries is heaven on earth.

Very true. I also love grilling flank steak and slicing thin across the grain.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #29
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Birthday tomorrow, steak house here I come

When I was in DC about a month ago I took a co-worker to Fogo de Chao. He is still raving about it (I had been before). If you have never done the Brazillian steakhouse thing you may want to give it a try. It is a little pricey but it is a carnivore's dream. (I think it was like $130 after tip for the two of us.)

- Rob
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #30
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
I'll be having Peter Lugars "steak for 2" next weekend when I'm in NYC. Can't wait!
My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #31
DougBushBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieRob View Post
When I was in DC about a month ago I took a co-worker to Fogo de Chao. He is still raving about it (I had been before). If you have never done the Brazillian steakhouse thing you may want to give it a try. It is a little pricey but it is a carnivore's dream. (I think it was like $130 after tip for the two of us.)

- Rob
Fogo, and any other GOOD brasilian style steakhouse, uses some very unique cuts, but still of good quality. I know that they usually use what is called Flap Meat or Bottom Butt, which is flavorful but tough if you don't cook it right. When I go to the Brasillian steakhouses near my, I usually stick to the Lomo (tenderloin tails) or the Churasco (skirt steak).
Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #32
MadAl
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
SLR
MadAl is on a distinguished road

Re: Ruth's Chris; I don't like butter on my steak. It is the style of the restaurant to prepare it that way. If you're like me, ask that they skip the butter.
MadAl is offline   Reply With Quote