Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
CigarInspector
Blogging hedonist

First Name: Denis
Trading: (0)
RA
CigarInspector is on a distinguished road
Default Food Trucks - Favorites?

Interested to hear about the Food Trucks people eat at in there area. Food Truck culture is a fascinating phenomenon to me and I love to see the latest and greatest offerings. One good thing about Food Trucks is there is usually an outdoor door area where you can always enjoy a nice after meal cigar!
CigarInspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Food Trucks - Favorites?

Around my area, they're finally starting to catch on. Regulations made it difficult for them to get going, but those are being changed with the shift in culture. Of the few I've tried, my favorite is called "The Grindhouse". The parent company is a small startup that makes artisinal fresh sausages, so naturally they feature said sausages. One excellent dish is the poutine w/chorizo gravy. just thinking about it. They also make Hungarian Langos with various topppings that are really good.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Le Petit Poutine is a food truck in the area bringing a bit of Canadian awesome to our area. Quite good!

http://www.rochesterfoodtrucks.com/le-petit-poutine
Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Portland (Oregon) is a mecca for Food Carts -- many of which produce excellent foods. They tend to be grouped in "pods" and many of the pods have web sites.

There are so many that we like it's hard to list them. Once in a while my wife and I will spend a Saturday afternoon going to some of these pods and trying new things.

It's great!

Here are some articles...

http://www.foodcartsportland.com/

http://www.sunset.com/travel/top-10-...0400000039975/

http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/...ood-carts.html

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

With the exception of Passione Pizza and their brick oven on wheels, I wasn't that impressed with the rest of the high-end trucks at the last few roach coach rodeos they've had here. All they seemed to have was overpriced mediocre hipster food.

There's an awesome low brow taco truck that is almost always parked by the Mariani Nut factory out in Winters, but heck if I can remember their name. Not like they have a website anyway. Just damn good street tacos, dare I even say worthy competitors to what I grew up with in SoCal.

Last edited by T.G; 09-17-2013 at 09:23 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

TG, hard to beat those taco truck taco's. We've got one here in Detroit that parks in a mercado parking lot that is damn good.

Reminds me, if I really want to pick my fave food truck/cart, it would be the Sonoran hotdog cart in Hermosillo, MX. Tiny little cart, with a line usually 20-30 people long. Bacon wrapped, grilled dog, served in a sweet yeasty bun. Topped with beans, chorizo, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Pissed i didn't make it there on my recent trip.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I'm definitely not feeling the high-end food truck craze.
I guess it's what I'm used to.
When I hit up a lunch truck, I'm usually looking for more comfort-food sort of fare.

The Grease Trucks are a popular stop here, in Jersey.

For me, nothing beats a simple dirty water dog.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Koja kitchen, naked chorizo, Adams grub truck, mogo, senior sisig and cheese gone wild to name a few
Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Here in Margate, the city has a food truck stop, every third Saturday of the month. Usualy
between 20 and 25 trucks. My favorite is the Lobster Roll.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

We have a lot of food trucks here in DC and you can often find a place where 10-15 trucks show up on a specific day. It was mostly ethnic food in the begining, but now we have just about everything inculding multiple cheese steak trucks and a Chick-fil truck which always has a long line. I like the Taco, Kebabs and Indian food trucks as their prices are good. The Red Hook Lobster truck has great food, but is a little pricey for lunch. There is a web site where you can track where the trucks are on a specific day.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
We have a lot of food trucks here in DC and you can often find a place where 10-15 trucks show up on a specific day. It was mostly ethnic food in the begining, but now we have just about everything inculding multiple cheese steak trucks and a Chick-fil truck which always has a long line. I like the Taco, Kebabs and Indian food trucks as their prices are good. The Red Hook Lobster truck has great food, but is a little pricey for lunch. There is a web site where you can track where the trucks are on a specific day.
love the dc food truck scene when im working in the city, i find that a lot are too expensive for the amount of food you get, but there's some fair prices and great food out there. never had the lobster truck, but from what I hear, once you get past the absurd price, the food is awesome. I'll probably never get past the first part though. it's cool being around a daily assortment of ~15 trucks, great for going with a group because everyone can get whatever they want
Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

+1 to what Michael said. Portland has a great food truck/cart scene that is constantly evolving and the city has areas dedicated for them to be set up with out door seating areas to eat at. You can actually sign up for street food tours in Portland now, where you are taken around to some of the major food cart pods around the city.

I like to get out and try the food carts whenever possible, especially when I'm in the city during a weekday.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Wish we had some food trucks down this way.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

We get 10-15 food trucks every week day during the summer months at the State Capital. Most of the food is good, but the prices they charge are pretty high for my liking.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

fxpose is on a distinguished road

Nah, not into boutique food trucks.
We have hundreds of taco trucks in our area. The best authentic tacos come from the taco truck parked in front of Von's market on Alvarado. There's always a line behind that truck. If you live in L.A. you know what I'm talking about.....)
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Nah, not into boutique food trucks.
We have hundreds of taco trucks in our area. The best authentic tacos come from the taco truck parked in front of Von's market on Alvarado. There's always a line behind that truck. If you live in L.A. you know what I'm talking about.....)
Hmmmm.......tacos.......
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Cincymike
grumpy senior in training

First Name: Mike
Cincymike is on a distinguished road

We call them "roach coach" here for a reason.
Cincymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Had a guy from Chicago that moved here because he liked the cost of living and his retirement stretched further. He decided to run a hot dog cart. He bought the cart, went to the city to get licensed and it was a no go. Neither our city nor county allows portable food vendors. It's the most draconian health laws in the country. So bad, they even took out the grills at the park by the river. Cited 'health concerns'. It's absolutely funny as hell to go to the Renaissance Faire and see food vendor tents with these huge 3 bay sinks with a 500 gallon tank of water behind them and lines running to the sewer caps. We are a laughing stock.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road

My favorite food cart is Yolk, they are mainly a sandwich cart. My favorite is the brothers bad-a** and ox tail sandwich. https://www.facebook.com/yolkpdx enjoy the food po*n!