Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #1421
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

ufc tonight
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #1422
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
Brock's major problem is his stand up defense. He goes into panick mode when he gets hit. And I don't think his cardio is one his strengths.
That guy has a lot to offer and potential coming out his ears, but if noone in his gym can step up and punch him like he needs it he'll never get back on top.

Now who's ready to see GSP pound the dogshit out of Koscheck?
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #1423
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Now who's ready to see GSP pound the dogshit out of Koscheck?
i am very ready - and very looking forward to this
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #1424
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Man this thread is always dead. Entertaining fights last weekend on the TUF finale and Strikeforce's offering.

GSP vs Koscheck this weekend. Should be fun to watch. Other fights include:
Sean McCorkle vs Stefan Struve
Jim Miller vs Charles Oliveira
Mac Danzig vs Joe Stevenson
Thiago Alves vs John Howard
Dustin Hazlett vs Mark Bocek

I don't know the rest of the fighters enough to weigh in but those above are my picks for the night.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #1425
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Just watched Lawler Linland fight..... What a KNOCKOUT!
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #1426
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

I spoke too soon. Daly/SMith Knockout was AWESOME.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #1427
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Man this thread is always dead. Entertaining fights last weekend on the TUF finale and Strikeforce's offering.

GSP vs Koscheck this weekend. Should be fun to watch. Other fights include:
Sean McCorkle vs Stefan Struve
Jim Miller vs Charles Oliveira
Mac Danzig vs Joe Stevenson
Thiago Alves vs John Howard
Dustin Hazlett vs Mark Bocek

I don't know the rest of the fighters enough to weigh in but those above are my picks for the night.

The card for saturdays UFC fight looks like it might be a boring night, but I have been wrong with past events.

I don't think Hazlett has done well his last two fights hopefully he can get the W.

Whats your take on the GSP/Koscheck fight? I'm thinking GSP with a submission by the third round.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #1428
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

great event imo, and great main event. DOMINATION.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #1429
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

no love for K1? The Dutch are doing good!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #1430
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

This is why I quit watching MMA.

http://www.sherdog.com/events/UFC-12...scheck-2-14504

6 decisions and a draw . I cannot believe they give koscheck a title shot. He's a horrible fighter. Too many decisions in the UFC. I liked pride much better, there wasn't that unnecessary 3 minutes of sitting on someone before they stood them up. I really think this is why Cro Cop didn't do well. UFC is geared much more towards the wrestler and getting boring decisions.

/rant
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #1431
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
no love for K1? The Dutch are doing good!
K1 rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
This is why I quit watching MMA.

6 decisions and a draw . I cannot believe they give koscheck a title shot. He's a horrible fighter. Too many decisions in the UFC. I liked pride much better, there wasn't that unnecessary 3 minutes of sitting on someone before they stood them up. I really think this is why Cro Cop didn't do well. UFC is geared much more towards the wrestler and getting boring decisions.

/rant
If you quit watching MMA because you want only knockouts and subs, i guess it's good that you quit. I also can't believe you're saying Koscheck is horrible, that's just funny, the guy is a fantastic fighter, he got outclassed in a major way by a superior fighter. It's a pretty narrow minded perspective to only enjoy a fight if it ends in a sub or tko. There were some FANTASTIC fights last night from those decisions. I agree that a sub or a tko are exciting, but that doesn't mean a decision is boring, it's not like it was a frankie edgar fight lol. Many of those decisions were great fights! Expand your horizons.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #1432
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

Ya I'm not into seeing so many decision fights in a night, but we know GSP can finish fights. I think he just wanted to beat up Josh.

I was very surprised to see Dustin Hazlett get submitted!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #1433
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I agree with Bill in that UFC Fighters are fighting like they have alot more money in the bank.
That Doesn't mean that decisions are boring.
The biggest problem facing UFC in regards to decisions has been the judges scoring of recent bouts.
The leonard Garcia vs Nam Phan fight from the Ultimate fighter finale and the Riddle vs Peirson fight this past weekend reminded me of why I stopped watching boxing.
I agree Riddle lost his fight, but not by a 30-27 unanimous decision.
I think bias is being shown to the fighters UFC wants to showcase.
Take the Jake shields vs Martin Kampman fight.
Sheilds takes down Kampman, inflicts zero damage, Kampman gets right up, punches Shields in the face, Decision Shields?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #1434
Trouble

After the leonard Garcia vs Nam Phan fight Dana White said that the judges are in no way affiliated with the UFC. Supposedly they are appointed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. I was starting to think that the UFC was biased when Bisping was given an easy path to a title fight. In my opinion he did not earn the fight and was given a few decisions that he did not earn.

If the judges are really appointed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission then I guess I was wrong.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #1435
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Boxing Judges are also appointed by their respective athletic commissions.
That never stopped them from issuing biased decisions.
One fight I was at immediately comes to mind.
Lennox lewis Holyfield 1
Lewis destroyed Evander and the fight was declared a draw.

Athletic commissions have a stake in the fighting company's success.
when organizations like the UFC bring fights to their towns it usually is a big boost to the economy.
It's the old you scratch my back I scratch yours routine.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #1436
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

I couldn't agree more that the judging is b.s. That said, if you don't want to go to the judges, either finish the fight, or win decisively like GSP
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #1437
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
Ya I'm not into seeing so many decision fights in a night, but we know GSP can finish fights. I think he just wanted to beat up Josh.

I was very surprised to see Dustin Hazlett get submitted!
GSP doesn't finish fights. He takes zero risks, and I'm tired of hearing at the end of every PPV he headlines "MY goal was to finish him and I fell short" He is as boring a fighter to watch as there is in the UFC. Saturday's jab fest was slightly better than his normal lay and pray tactics. I'm hopeful that he tries that ground and pound crap with shields. Cause over the course of a 5 rounder, he will get caught and subbed.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #1438
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I agree with Bill in that UFC Fighters are fighting like they have alot more money in the bank.
That Doesn't mean that decisions are boring.
The biggest problem facing UFC in regards to decisions has been the judges scoring of recent bouts.
The leonard Garcia vs Nam Phan fight from the Ultimate fighter finale and the Riddle vs Peirson fight this past weekend reminded me of why I stopped watching boxing.
I agree Riddle lost his fight, but not by a 30-27 unanimous decision.
I think bias is being shown to the fighters UFC wants to showcase.
Take the Jake shields vs Martin Kampman fight.
Sheilds takes down Kampman, inflicts zero damage, Kampman gets right up, punches Shields in the face, Decision Shields?
I really don't want to argue with anyone here, so please don't think I am trying to.

This is pretty much what I was saying...the decline of the UFC. Judges have made some REALLY bad decisions lately (shogun vs machida 1) and all they are doing is hyping up some newer fighters just for $$$$. Cain velasquez or whatever his name is....he might be a great fighter but he's very new, same with Brock. I hate whenever people mention Brock Vs Fedor. Come on now Fedors like 31-1-1, and Brock lost his 2nd fight and a couple more. Fedor would eat Brock for a mid-morning snack.

That said, it is a shame. I really enjoyed watching the UFC for a good 3-4 years. It's hard to watch now.

Another side note....

Brock did not EVER pay his dues! He was instantly given TOP fighters when he didn't deserve them. Cro Cop got tossed a tin can Eddie Sanchez, WHO RAN AWAY THE WHOLE FIGHT! My point of course is $$$$$$$$, Brock was more marketable so they give him serious fights. No one knew Cro Cop so they give him all mid level fighters IF THAT, of course he doesn't take it seriously. If I were him I would do the same, they don't take him seriously why not take the free paychecks.

Not to mention the UFC has lost some top notch fighters, Tim Sylvia (hes so boring , but he does win), Snowman Monson, Dan henderson and Arlovski to name a few.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #1439
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

Quote:
I really don't want to argue with anyone here, so please don't think I am trying to.

This is pretty much what I was saying...the decline of the UFC. Judges have made some REALLY bad decisions lately (shogun vs machida 1) and all they are doing is hyping up some newer fighters just for $$$$. Cain velasquez or whatever his name is....he might be a great fighter but he's very new, same with Brock. I hate whenever people mention Brock Vs Fedor. Come on now Fedors like 31-1-1, and Brock lost his 2nd fight and a couple more. Fedor would eat Brock for a mid-morning snack.

That said, it is a shame. I really enjoyed watching the UFC for a good 3-4 years. It's hard to watch now.

Another side note....

Brock did not EVER pay his dues! He was instantly given TOP fighters when he didn't deserve them. Cro Cop got tossed a tin can Eddie Sanchez, WHO RAN AWAY THE WHOLE FIGHT! My point of course is $$$$$$$$, Brock was more marketable so they give him serious fights. No one knew Cro Cop so they give him all mid level fighters IF THAT, of course he doesn't take it seriously. If I were him I would do the same, they don't take him seriously why not take the free paychecks.

Not to mention the UFC has lost some top notch fighters, Tim Sylvia (hes so boring , but he does win), Snowman Monson, Dan henderson and Arlovski to name a few.
We are here to argue... and I wanted to highlight that part.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #1440
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
GSP doesn't finish fights. He takes zero risks, and I'm tired of hearing at the end of every PPV he headlines "MY goal was to finish him and I fell short" He is as boring a fighter to watch as there is in the UFC. Saturday's jab fest was slightly better than his normal lay and pray tactics. I'm hopeful that he tries that ground and pound crap with shields. Cause over the course of a 5 rounder, he will get caught and subbed.

So when GSP was fighting Hardy and had him in that arm bar he let it go because he wanted a 5 round fight?
I'm not defending GSP, but I do remember that fight.

Looking at his record the last couple of years he has no submissions, but I highly doubt he wants decision wins. Last submission was in 2007.

Quote:

Another side note....

I couldn't agree more.