Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
So when GSP was fighting Hardy and had him in that arm bar he let it go because he wanted a 5 round fight?
I'm not defending GSP, but I do remember that fight.

Looking at his record the last couple of years he has no submissions, but I highly doubt he wants decision wins. Last submission was in 2007.

I couldn't agree more.
I was lucky enough to be ringside for GSP Hardy. How Hardy's arm didn't come completely off was a miracle. From where I was sitting you could actually see the torque on his arm. GSP also had Hardy in a kimora in round 4, again Kudos to hardy. GSP was trying to finish him!

In regards to Brock, He was put In with Mir the first time to make sure he wasn't a fluke ala James Toney and dominated that fight until he made a rookie mistake and got caught in a heel hook. He showed he could fight and earned himself another bout, He then dominated heath Herring. Perhaps a shot against Couture was premature, but he won! He then avenged his loss to Mir. Using Cro Cop isn't a good example. He won his first bout and then lost to a middle of the road fighter Gonzaga and a barely above average Kongo. When he was in against Junior Dos santos he quit on his feet!

In the end UFC is a business and people WANTED TO SEE BROCK FIGHT!
I believe UFC 100 is still the most watched PPV to date with over 1.5 million buys.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #1442
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
GSP doesn't finish fights. He takes zero risks, and I'm tired of hearing at the end of every PPV he headlines "MY goal was to finish him and I fell short" He is as boring a fighter to watch as there is in the UFC. Saturday's jab fest was slightly better than his normal lay and pray tactics. I'm hopeful that he tries that ground and pound crap with shields. Cause over the course of a 5 rounder, he will get caught and subbed.
It was awesome to see GSP pick koscheck apart. Boring implies nothing happened, if you're only interested in KOS or subs go watch kickboxing or a grappling match.

Not sure why you'd hate on him for fighting intelligently.

GSP makes top level fighters look like amateurs, but i guess a casual fan like you just wants to see a knockout. I agree that a knockout is exciting, but seeing someone get picked apart by someone with gsp's skill set is anything but boring IMO

After GSP's "BORING" FIGHTS:

Last edited by goalie204; 12-15-2010 at 08:07 AM.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #1443
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

I'm hating on GSP solely because he is always called a great fighter, which in my own admission I don't doubt, but the man is a hypocrite. Ever listen to a GSP interview after a fight. "My goal was to finish off (insert whomever here)"

I understand the Fitch thing. Dude is a bulldog, and doesn't ever give up, and he has superior Jits, so he wasn't going to finish him at all, but take Saturday as an example. Kos had one eye (no depth perception) for 4 rounds, and instead of trying to accomplish his own admitted goal, he stood, circled and threw jabs. There was almost no attempt to anything but jab.

I don't hate on great fighters or fights. Some of my favorite fights of all time have been 3 or 5 round decisions. What I don't like is when the dominant fighter in his weight class doesn't even try to finish anymore.

As for the Hardy, hes tough, I will agree, but if you watch the footage again the armbar wasn't sinched in perfect, GSP's Jits coach even said as much after the fight. As for the Kimura, its anybodys guess, that was in deep and correctly, maybe Hardy's lack of discipline leads to be impervious to shoulder locks.

Last edited by yachties23; 12-15-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: just noticed the post on the Kimura and armbar
yachties23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #1444
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm hating on GSP solely because he is always called a great fighter, which in my own admission I don't doubt, but the man is a hypocrite. Ever listen to a GSP interview after a fight. "My goal was to finish off (insert whomever here)"

I understand the Fitch thing. Dude is a bulldog, and doesn't ever give up, and he has superior Jits, so he wasn't going to finish him at all, but take Saturday as an example. Kos had one eye (no depth perception) for 4 rounds, and instead of trying to accomplish his own admitted goal, he stood, circled and threw jabs. There was almost no attempt to anything but jab.

I don't hate on great fighters or fights. Some of my favorite fights of all time have been 3 or 5 round decisions. What I don't like is when the dominant fighter in his weight class doesn't even try to finish anymore.

As for the Hardy, hes tough, I will agree, but if you watch the footage again the armbar wasn't sinched in perfect, GSP's Jits coach even said as much after the fight. As for the Kimura, its anybodys guess, that was in deep and correctly, maybe Hardy's lack of discipline leads to be impervious to shoulder locks.

For sure, sometimes it seems as if fighter try to win the rounds and get the decision win. Lately I feel as if UFC has a ton of guys that were wrestlers and woke up one day and decided to be MMA fighters. Get a couple of take downs each round and beat up the guy to get the win.
The last two years I have enjoyed WEC more than UFC because of this.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #1445
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I think all fighters want to finish their fights. Why fight for 25 min when you can fight for 2 and make the same $?
I agree GSP didn't take any chances against Kos, but he didn't have to. He also didn't dance or make Kos follow him around the octagon, he stood toe to toe, right in front of him, and fought!

Let's not forget Kos got his title shot by taking down Paul Daley and dry humping him for 3 rounds.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #1446
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I think all fighters want to finish their fights. Why fight for 25 min when you can fight for 2 and make the same $?
I agree GSP didn't take any chances against Kos, but he didn't have to. He also didn't dance or make Kos follow him around the octagon, he stood toe to toe, right in front of him, and fought!

Let's not forget Kos got his title shot by taking down Paul Daley and dry humping him for 3 rounds.

Agreed.

I haven't even seen the fight but Koscheck has made his career by dry humping other fighters for 3-5 rounds.

I also agree most fighters do want to finish their fights but some of them do also want to grind out the decision. Lyoto Machida and Koscheck come to mind. They don't want to take any chances or really even fight they just want to pad their record with "wins". Then again they really aren't fighters so Dom is absolutely 100% correct.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #1447
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
In regards to Brock, He was put In with Mir the first time to make sure he wasn't a fluke ala James Toney and dominated that fight until he made a rookie mistake and got caught in a heel hook. He showed he could fight and earned himself another bout, He then dominated heath Herring. Perhaps a shot against Couture was premature, but he won! He then avenged his loss to Mir. Using Cro Cop isn't a good example. He won his first bout and then lost to a middle of the road fighter Gonzaga and a barely above average Kongo. When he was in against Junior Dos santos he quit on his feet!
My point was Cro Cop gets Sanchez and a 1 fight NOOB gets Mir? That decision was motivated by $$$ and greed. Especially when Cro Cop came off a fantastic Pride career, and I'm sorry I think he beat Fedor if not it was definitely a VERY close fight. Brock came off a 1 fight win vs.....*crickets* MR SHARK!??!?

Brock dominating Mir......Eh, maybe but for what less than 3 minutes? It's easy to run at someone and land a few good shots without thinking about what failure you're setting yourself up for. He got outclassed by a much more patient Mir. Brock is also a classless poor loser, he represents everything MMA wasn't supposed to be.

Brock dominating Herring? Nope Brock sat on herring and maybe threw 1-3 good punches. He even said his goal was to ride it out or just tie him up.

Gonzaga got a good kick no doubt. Kongo kneed Cro Cop in the balls like 3 times. IMO that should have been a DQ or points taken off. How well would you fight or even do anything involving moving if you took 3 knee shots to the nuts?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #1448
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
For sure, sometimes it seems as if fighter try to win the rounds and get the decision win. Lately I feel as if UFC has a ton of guys that were wrestlers and woke up one day and decided to be MMA fighters. Get a couple of take downs each round and beat up the guy to get the win.
The last two years I have enjoyed WEC more than UFC because of this.
Agreed. Lay and pray has become the way to win MMA fights. Which is why I love Fitch. Guy is a superior wrestler, but constantly works beyond ground and pound and is always looking for subs. I think the judging system needs a huge change. IF you take a guy down and do absolutely nothing, don't attempt a sub, don't advance your position beyond guard, and get stood up, the judges shouldn't count the takedown at all. The point is to inflict damage or atleast attempt to finish the fight, and cheesy 3 inch elbows and blocked punches from guard don't really cut it imho.

Kos did beat daly by basically taking him down and not doing much. But he subbed Rumble Johnson, when was the last time GSP finished a fight?

Also, Machida may stand and evade, but lets run down the list of the guys hes flat out KO'd (not just TKO) and its impressive. I seem to remember Rashad Evans buckled over against the cage, and Thiago Silva unconscious after a strike from above.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #1449
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

HOLY **** AT THAT WEC MAIN EVENT - THAT wAS THE GREATEST MOVE EVER IN MMA

edit:

Last edited by goalie204; 12-16-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #1450
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
HOLY **** AT THAT WEC MAIN EVENT - THAT wAS THE GREATEST MOVE EVER IN MMA

edit:
Still went to decision...

But awesome move nonetheless. I still think Spencer Fisher's flying knee on Matt Wiman was one of the craziest moves I have seen. Wiman wanted a freakin timeout, LOL
Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #1451
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

I almost puked when I saw Pettis do that. I was overwhelmed with raditude. And then Ben "Kind of a Tool If You Think About It" henderson has to act like a crybaby after the fight. "I dunno, the judges gave it to him, whatever." Oh they gave it to him? Couldn't we rephrase that Bendo? Didn't YOU give it to him--by getting dropped?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #1452
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
I almost puked when I saw Pettis do that. I was overwhelmed with raditude. And then Ben "Kind of a Tool If You Think About It" henderson has to act like a crybaby after the fight. "I dunno, the judges gave it to him, whatever." Oh they gave it to him? Couldn't we rephrase that Bendo? Didn't YOU give it to him--by getting dropped?
Totally agree. F*$% Ben Henderson and his praise jesus bullsh1t. Sore loser little b1tch, hope he gets decimated in the ufc

That Kick was so pro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Still went to decision...
wtf cares if it went to a decision, that was fight of the year for sure.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #1453
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Totally agree. F*$% Ben Henderson and his praise jesus bullsh1t. Sore loser little b1tch, hope he gets decimated in the ufc

That Kick was so pro!

wtf cares if it went to a decision, that was fight of the year for sure.
Not quite
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #1454
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0eybb View Post
Not quite
think what you will, but that was a fantastic fight and just because it "didn't go to a decision" - it was in no means anything short of entertaining from the opening bell to the end. GREAT FIGHT
Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #1455
Steelergar

Ive heard other people say that was a great fight too. But other than that kick I wasn't to impressed. I would be concerned about their ability to finish and some other technical points in their game. Lets see how they do against stronger competition. IMO there was a LW Brazilian on the undercard who made his WEC debut that night that could be better than both those guys.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #1456
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lay and pray has become the way to win MMA fights. Which is why I love Fitch.
That statement is just puzzling.
Quote:
Kos did beat daly by basically taking him down and not doing much. But he subbed Rumble Johnson, when was the last time GSP finished a fight?
GSP has finished half of his fights. And there's a short list of people who have made Penn not answer a bell and quit; GSP stands alone. And the fight before that GSP beat the tar piss out of Serra. He just doesn't have that power KO punch, but usually isn't a big deal because he can control the fight and win via an ass-beating.

Big news and challenges for the Big 'O. Overeem fighting Todd Duffee at Dream Dynamite 2010. What bullshit! Can he fight someone dangerous.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #1457
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
That statement is just puzzling.

GSP has finished half of his fights. And there's a short list of people who have made Penn not answer a bell and quit; GSP stands alone. And the fight before that GSP beat the tar piss out of Serra. He just doesn't have that power KO punch, but usually isn't a big deal because he can control the fight and win via an ass-beating.

Big news and challenges for the Big 'O. Overeem fighting Todd Duffee at Dream Dynamite 2010. What bullshit! Can he fight someone dangerous.
I understand people think Fitch is a lay and pray guy, but I think he tries to sub guys on occasion. With the exception of 2 sub attempts on Dan Hardy, when was the last time GSP was close to finishing a fight?

As for Penn, hes a joke half the time he steps in the cage. Sometimes he trains, other times he could care less. He was out of shape in the second fight and didn't deserve that title shot. A champion of his caliber should finish off lesser opponents, but he never seems to.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #1458
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

SENGOKU RAiden Championship in 13 hours

and K-1 Dynamite!! in 1 Day and 13 hours!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #1459
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

pretty good ufc last night, hope brandon vera gets cut
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #1460
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
pretty good ufc last night, hope brandon vera gets cut
I like Vera, but he didn't do very well last night for sure.

The Edgar/Maynard fight was very good, but I was really puzzled how one judge scored it 48-46 for Edgar. I can agree with the other 2 scores, but 48-46 Edgar? Seriously after the pounding he took in round 1? He came back and won some rounds, but I don't think there's any way he should have been up by 2 points like that.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote