Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default What Movie Ending are You Still Unresolved with?

For me, the following are at the top of my list:

2001: A Space Odyssey
The Day the Earth Stood Still (remake with Keanu Reeves)

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: What Movie Ending are You Still Unresolved with?

The Birds. That movie has no ending, but just ends.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

American Psycho. Watched it once and I need to watch it again to wrap my head around it.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

A Serious Man (Coen brothers). I've heard you have to have a Jewish background to get a lot fo the cultural stuff but whatever. The movie just stops existing, rather than ending.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
A Serious Man (Coen brothers). I've heard you have to have a Jewish background to get a lot fo the cultural stuff but whatever. The movie just stops existing, rather than ending.
It certainly is an abrupt ending, but you can take the looming torpedo to mean that the son is going to die and basically, sh!t will hit the fan. I've heard reviews that say that the movie is a take on the story of Job, where God and the devil test his faith. Towards the end of the movie though, just as it looks like the tests are over and things will get good for him again, Gopnik departs from the story of righteous Job when he sins by taking the bribe and changing the grade, thus God punishes him (the doctor immediately calls with bad news, and the tornado appears on the horizon. In this sense, it's not really the story of Job, and more simply a story about a man who is cursed, hence the epilogue with the Dybbuk
Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
You have to have read the book for it to really make sense; in the book there's a lot about him interacting with the ghosts of the house in some grand ballroom, and that picture was probably meant to signify that he's dead and now amongst the "permanent guests" as a ghost.
Thanks Clayton....I have read the book, but I still find myself unsatisfied with that ending.....yet it's still my favorite movie of all time.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Thanks Clayton....I have read the book, but I still find myself unsatisfied with that ending.....yet it's still my favorite movie of all time.
I agree that the ending, and maybe even the movie as a whole, is a little disappointing compared to the novel. Kubrick has a tendency to do his own thing and use the book as a starting point (he excised the entire last chapter of "A Clockwork Orange" and actually improved on the book IMO), but regardless, he makes his own work of art that is independent of the "inspiration" when he makes a film. It's funny that two of his films have already been mentioned in this thread. I agree that 2001 makes no sense at the end The Shining is by far and away the scariest book I've ever read and my favorite novel by Stephen King

Last edited by akumushi; 08-25-2010 at 11:42 PM.
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

correction
Quote:
It certainly is an abrupt ending, but you can take the looming tornado to mean that the son is going to die and basically, sh!t will hit the fan. I've heard reviews that say that the movie is a take on the story of Job, where God and the devil test his faith. Towards the end of the movie though, just as it looks like the tests are over and things will get good for him again, Gopnik departs from the story of righteous Job when he sins by taking the bribe and changing the grade, thus God punishes him (the doctor immediately calls with bad news, and the tornado appears on the horizon. In this sense, it's not really the story of Job, and more simply a story about a man who is cursed, hence the prologue with the Dybbuk
Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

The Princess Bride

I mean, they die at the end of the book but the movie ending implies happiness every after. Lying in the movies doesn't send the right message to kids.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The Shining.....Jack in the picture from the '20s.....what does it mean?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
The Shining.....Jack in the picture from the '20s.....what does it mean?
You have to have read the book for it to really make sense; in the book there's a lot about him interacting with the ghosts of the house in some grand ballroom, and that picture was probably meant to signify that he's dead and now amongst the "permanent guests" as a ghost.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

What an awesome thread! Now if only my brain would work properly...

Ok. For clarification:

Donnie Darko

Eraserhead

In The Mouth Of Madness

Syndiche New York
Old 08-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
MrPlatypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post

Ok. For clarification:
In The Mouth Of Madness
Basically, he finally does go nuts. Know how it starts out with him in the asylum? He wasn't crazy then. He goes through and explains what happens to the guy who comes to see him, but remember when Sutter Kane tells him "I write therefore you are"? When he goes to see the film, he watches the film and it shows everything that happens during the movie....his brain just sort of goes the way of the dodo, because he realizes his entire life was nothing more than a piece of fiction. Got a very Lovecraft angle that, unless you've read a lot of Lovecraft, is hard to grasp.

One of my favorite films, right up there with Dr. Strangelove and Blade Runner.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlatypus View Post
Basically, he finally does go nuts. Know how it starts out with him in the asylum? He wasn't crazy then. He goes through and explains what happens to the guy who comes to see him, but remember when Sutter Kane tells him "I write therefore you are"? When he goes to see the film, he watches the film and it shows everything that happens during the movie....his brain just sort of goes the way of the dodo, because he realizes his entire life was nothing more than a piece of fiction. Got a very Lovecraft angle that, unless you've read a lot of Lovecraft, is hard to grasp.

One of my favorite films, right up there with Dr. Strangelove and Blade Runner.
Thanks Brother. It's time for a rewatch!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post

Ok. For clarification:

Donnie Darko
Eraserhead

In The Mouth Of Madness

Syndiche New York
I just watched Donnie Darko for the first time last night and thought it was awesome, I'm waiting for the director's cut on Netflix, but I'd like to hear other's thoughts on it. The way I see it, when Donnie says "How to you know I'm not one(superhero)" it's a reference to the fact that he is either prescient alla Dune's Maud Dib, or at the end of the movie learns to master time travel thanks to Grandma Death, either way, the events we see in the movie are what happened before he was able to travel back in time and prevent his lover's and families' deaths by sacrificing himself, or he simply stayed in bed to give up himself and die to prevent the events of the movie he had seen presciently by dying in the accident, either way, the conversations he has with his science teacher are the key to understanding the film!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Quote:
I just watched Donnie Darko for the first time last night and thought it was awesome, I'm waiting for the director's cut on Netflix, but I'd like to hear other's thoughts on it. The way I see it, when Donnie says "How to you know I'm not one(superhero)" it's a reference to the fact that he is either prescient alla Dune's Maud Dib, or at the end of the movie learns to master time travel thanks to Grandma Death, either way, the events we see in the movie are what happened before he was able to travel back in time and prevent his lover's and families' deaths by sacrificing himself, or he simply stayed in bed to give up himself and die to prevent the events of the movie he had seen presciently by dying in the accident, either way, the conversations he has with his science teacher are the key to understanding the film!
Thanks Brother. I hear what you're saying but I don't know. Time for a rewatch I suppose!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #17
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

Doubt
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #18
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Doubt

But isn't that the crux of the biscuit? The title tells us that in the end, we're supposed to have doubts about what really happened.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

No country for old men
Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Happy Gilmore.

How the hell did Chubs grow his hand back to play the piano. Gets me every time
cort is offline   Reply With Quote