Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #161
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: (Official?) Pocket Knife Discussion Thread

Knice Knives bro.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #162
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Thanks boss. Woot woot!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #163
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I certainly want one of thems! The Kestrel is an awesome design. I just ordered the LUDT.

Curious, How had the black finish held up on yours? Im planning on EDCing mine.

As for Kelly. That is an awesome knife. I love Benchmades and the Made in USA is certainly a feature Im willing to pay a bit more for.

I think it is time for a family photo of my collection.

The black finish is still in perfect condition, and I have carried that knife for about a years worth of time over the 6 or 7 years I have had it. Also the 154cm is IMO the best knife steel, easy to work with and holds and edge for ever. The Kestrel is one of my favorite knives really cool design and fits very comfortable in my hand, the blade shape is also extremely useful.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #164
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Unreal. Was showing my father my new Benchmade last night, and he sees the butterfly logo on the blade. He says "Hey I think thats the same logo on the knife you gave me like 10-12 years ago."
We go out to his car where he has it in the driver door side pocket. He pulls out a knife I forgot all about that I had acquired somehow (I cant remember).

Its an old automatic Benchmade/Balisong Emerson Design. Its kinda filthy, so I take it apart and clean it up. Man this thing is big. Its not fast but it opens with authority.

Pics coming soon.

Cracks me up. 79 year old Japanese man with a huge switchblade in his car door pocket.

Here are a few pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benchmade 001.jpg (41.3 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg benchmade 002.jpg (39.5 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg benchmade 003.jpg (36.9 KB, 277 views)

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #165
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Here are a few pics:
Beautiful. Love the design.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #166
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Because I was losing money if I diddnt buy it.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #167
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
Because I was losing money if I diddnt buy it.
Losing money? How? Got the Benchmade today. It is freaking tiny.. Way smaller than I was thinking for some reason, Returning it for this knife, but black on black with silver screws, plain edge.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #168
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

If I was getting a Microtech Auto I would just get an OTF, in fact once I get a job I see a shiny new Halo III in my near future.

If you're getting an LUDT get an old one. I've heard bad things about most new Microtechs. Poor quality....the old stuff was better.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #169
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Losing money? How? Got the Benchmade today. It is freaking tiny.. Way smaller than I was thinking for some reason, Returning it for this knife, but black on black with silver screws, plain edge.
"Losing money not buying it" Just a saying to justify my purchase. The LUDT is a fantastic knife based on my first impression test. Fires with authority and has a solid lockup up down and side to side. And will fillet notebook paper. The finish while very durable (after dropping it off the counter onto slate floors) does have a unique feel to it.

Quote:
If I was getting a Microtech Auto I would just get an OTF, in fact once I get a job I see a shiny new Halo III in my near future.
The Halo III is a wonderful knife but for the price Id want something auto retracting. Unless its for a collection.

At double the price for roughly the same size as the benchmade? This doesn't make sense. The UTX 70 is a key chain knife and the UTX 85 isn't much larger than the mini grip. I will say with every OTF ive ever handles ther is always blade play side to side and up and down. Its the nature of the beast, however, locking in the out position is rock solid and very reliable.

Quote:
If you're getting an LUDT get an old one. I've heard bad things about most new Microtechs. Poor quality....the old stuff was better.
I would love to see where youve found this information.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #170
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

comparison. The UTX 85 (3.1")is pretty close lengthwise to the LUDT (3.4") but the LUDT has far more belly and would serve better in the EDC role IMO, and the Benchmade is too small unless you are looking for a sheeple friendly knife.

:note: serial numbers removed so no one steals and trys to misrepresent my picture.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #171
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

dammnit wolf that is not helpful. I had just given up on the microtech and decided on a pro-tech Monaco, which looks pretty damn cool to me... I think I will go that way anyway but the LUDT does look totally bad ass as well...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #172
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

If looks is the final factor thats up to you. But for less money you get a better blade steel CPM S30V opposed to the 154CM of the Protec. Im sure you'll be happy either way
Old 11-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #173
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

My Favorite Auto: Microtech L-UDT From 2006. Awesome Knife That Resharpens Easily!

longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #174
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Awesome Greg! Im jelous that yours still used Torx screws. The triwing screw set is just plain annoying.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #175
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Awesome Greg! Im jelous that yours still used Torx screws. The triwing screw set is just plain annoying.
Thanks, Mark! It's Very Heavy Duty.
My Newest Addition To My Collection:
William Henry Jeweled Titanium Model HRC 67 That I Picked Up In Alaska:

Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #176
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Dam Greg, I diddnt know you were a collector. Lets see a family photo.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #177
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

OK, One More. I Have Over 300 Pocket Knives, Mark. Started Collecting Them Before I Got Into Cigars. Here's My Favorite: Chris Reeve Classic:

Sharp As A Razor & Tough As Nails! Ouch! Just Nicked My Finger Closing The Blade.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #178
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Nice I was a pocket knife buyer before cigars. I've downsized my collection so many times I've only got 3 left.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #179
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Nice I was a pocket knife buyer before cigars. I've downsized my collection so many times I've only got 3 left.
You Were Smart, Bill! I Can't Seem To Part With Mine.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #180
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
OK, One More. I Have Over 300 Pocket Knives, Mark. Started Collecting Them Before I Got Into Cigars. Here's My Favorite: Chris Reeve Classic:

Sharp As A Razor & Tough As Nails! Ouch! Just Nicked My Finger Closing The Blade.
I think I just turned green with envy! Will trade photo lessons for knives