Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #41
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WoW (world of warcraft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I sold my account, that game is the devil
4 Level 80's (pally, druid, shaman, warrior)
37K gold
bunch of random toons

for like $200....The gold alone was worth double....but yeah...the game requires too much time.
40k gold goes for around 150-160 bux :P

but it only requires as much time as someone is willing to put in.

I used to play 30+ hours a week when i was into it a lot, now i barely play, it makes it so when i do i have fun
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #42
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

I haven't been on a while... total life suck. I keep wanting to go back, but I know it is a very bad move.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #43
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

I believe and am living proof that those that say its a life suck, addictive, etc etc - it's your personality, not just the game.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #44
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
I believe and am living proof that those that say its a life suck, addictive, etc etc - it's your personality, not just the game.
Golf clap?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #45
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Quote:

It is also very clearly not just personality but also the game. While it is undoubtedly true that it is a combination of personality and the game, there is also no doubt that the business model and game design of most MMORPG intentionally exploits any compulsive tendencies of a user. The games in fact actively train compulsive behavior in users as a necessary skill set for success in the game environment.

I personally know of a number of instances of gaming being a significant factor in divorce. There have been a number of documented suicides and deaths related to compulsive playing of video games.

That said most people can find an ability to balance their lives with MMORPG just as most consumers of alcohol can find balance between life and alcohol. Just as alcohol there are many gamers who's behavior while not technically addictive can still be seriously self destructive or damaging.

My point is the game is not benign and the people trying to walk away should be supported. Just in this casual thread the number of posts indicating a difficulty to walk away when there is a desire to do so is indicative that this is a real problem.

Unless you are running a business selling stuff in the real world and making money off a MMORPG you walk away with nothing from extended playing of these games. That is unless the people with whom you make relationships with walk away with you which is not typically the case.

Currently video game addiction is being considered for inclusion in the APA Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) which is the medically recognized American standard of mental health disorders.

I suspect that at some point in the future MMORPG companies are going to face similar legal challenges that the cigarette industry faced about deliberately making their product more addictive and hiding this fact from consumers.

For full disclosure I have played video games and online video games since the mid 80's (from a terminal on a mainframe) including muds and MMORPGS. I have never been more than peripherally involved and at my peak maybe spent 10-15 hours a week barring the occasional marathon session. I am also interested and have been involved with 3D animation and game design as hobby related to my education and work for more than ten years.

I loved the comment about watching the South Park episode and giving it up. Brilliant.

I'm not anti game or gamer. That said I recommend that people trust their instincts and if feel like you should walk away, do so. If you have trouble you should get some help from family, friends or a trained professional. You will be happier and have more money for cigars.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #46
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

I understand what you're saying, and i'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but those that just purely blame the game - I don't agree with that. It's ones own prerogative if they want to play or not play, and how much/how often. If a game causes one to lose their wife..or children...or home...i don't want to sound like a jerk, but i think that is pretty pathetic, because I think one has to look at themselves first and ask how did this happen, rather than just blame the game. Just like alcohol is there for any to indulge occasionally, habitually or additively, so is a video game.

As for one what gains from a video game in real life, I think that's subjective. If you don't enjoy it...and it feels like a job that you _have_ to do, well that is sad. But if you have fun, then good for you!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #47
Tredegar
Sing along with me

Trading: (9)
Tredegar is on a distinguished road

I play wow. I have several toons on Azuremyst a L80 mage and a L80 pally with several others in the build stage. I play a bit but it doesn't interfere with my marriage since I play when my wife is at work. I used to play UO, when it was popular, DAOC, for a month, Earth and Beyond and Eve-Online. Eve-Online is far the more superior of any of the games out there but my wife HATES the game.
Tredegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #48
gvarsity
still crazy

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, and i'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but those that just purely blame the game - I don't agree with that. It's ones own prerogative if they want to play or not play, and how much/how often. If a game causes one to lose their wife..or children...or home...i don't want to sound like a jerk, but i think that is pretty pathetic, because I think one has to look at themselves first and ask how did this happen, rather than just blame the game. Just like alcohol is there for any to indulge occasionally, habitually or additively, so is a video game.

As for one what gains from a video game in real life, I think that's subjective. If you don't enjoy it...and it feels like a job that you _have_ to do, well that is sad. But if you have fun, then good for you!
Generally I would consider fleeting entertainment to be a relatively insubstantial gain. Particularly considering the return on investment on the number of hours we are talking about when considering anyone who showing addictive behavior. You walk away from a MMORPG you literally have nothing tangible beyond anything virtual thing you might be able to sell on ebay.

I never said JUST blame the game but the design of the games itself is part of the problem. Meaning it is not just some moral or character weakness of character of the person with a problem. It could very well be a genetic component of brain chemistry or some combination of chemistry and psychological development that makes someone prone toward this kind of addiction. We don't know.

MMORPG companies deliberately build the game to be hard to leave for most people which is how they maintain their subscription base.
It is clear is that the developers know that this business model puts a certain percentage of their players/customers at risk for serious harm from compulsive behavior related to their product. It is a small number probably less than one percent but when you have millions of customers that is still a sizable number of people. (Granted they won't ever admit it for liability reason but it is inconceivable they don't know that this is an issue.)

You said "It's ones own prerogative if they want to play or not play, and how much/how often." When you are talking about addiction that is not a true statement. It becomes a compulsion and in the early stages it is very hard to distinguish from just being a hard core gamer, drinker or whatever. With something seemingly benign like a game it is very easy to miss the indications of a problem until it is to late to make a simple choice. Early on this is true they choose to play but they very well may have no reason to believe addiction is a realistic possibility until well after it is to late for them to have the capacity to make a rational decision to stop.

There is data to indicate that interactive visual stimulus like video games can rewire neural pathways in the brain. That isn't a choice that is a physiological issue.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #49
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

I play on Sat mornings from 8am-11am, one day a week is all I need. I think the most I ever played was 10ish hours a week when the game first came out and I felt like a crack head for doing it. Heres my toon in all her fat cow tanking glory ... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n+Tor&cn=Mutez

I play for fun because its fun to play
If it ever becomes a chore ill quit

~ Kyle
Old 09-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #50
gvarsity
still crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r View Post
I play on Sat mornings from 8am-11am, one day a week is all I need. I think the most I ever played was 10ish hours a week when the game first came out and I felt like a crack head for doing it. Heres my toon in all her fat cow tanking glory ... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n+Tor&cn=Mutez

~ Kyle
Cool.

BTW I apologize to everyone for threadjacking.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:33 AM   #51
DougBushBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r View Post

~ Kyle
I have no idea how you gear up that well from 3 hours a week. When I was playing I had 3 toons with top tier gear, but it was a 15-20 hour a week additcion, first in college and then during the slow summer months after college. Then I quit.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #52
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
I have no idea how you gear up that well from 3 hours a week. When I was playing I had 3 toons with top tier gear, but it was a 15-20 hour a week additcion, first in college and then during the slow summer months after college. Then I quit.
Allmost everyone I run with works third shifts and if they had a choice they would be playing much more but due to scedule changes I lucked out and picked up some very skilled players along the way. The most time we ever spent learning a fight was a full 3hours on Prof. P other then that we steamrolled the place
Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #53
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
Generally I would consider fleeting

You said "It's ones own prerogative if they want to play or not play, and how much/how often." When you are talking about addiction that is not a true statement. It becomes a compulsion and in the early stages it is very hard to distinguish from just being a hard core gamer, drinker or whatever. With something seemingly benign like a game it is very easy to miss the indications of a problem until it is to late to make a simple choice. Early on this is true they choose to play but they very well may have no reason to believe addiction is a realistic possibility until well after it is to late for them to have the capacity to make a rational decision to stop.

There is data to indicate that interactive visual stimulus like video games can rewire neural pathways in the brain. That isn't a choice that is a physiological issue.
I have an addictive personality and i've overcome many addictions in my life. I believe that if someone has strong convictions they can overcome any obstacle, especially in the case of a video game that is addictive.

my toon, wtb more 277 Ilvlz: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...lade&cn=goalie
Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #54
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

I raided for 2 years at 9 hours a week. Plus farming outside of that to get ready for the raids at probably 10-15 hours a week. I have quit, though. Working full time and studying for the CPA meant I had to quit
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #55
Redlegsmoker

I played when I was laid off for 6 months, damn near cost me my marriage. I have a 85 mage and a 64 shadow priest. I play very little now given work, wife, and now remodeling my home.
Dave
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #56
GI_Odie
Smokin in the green

First Name: Mike
Trading: (3)
Army (Deployed)
GI_Odie is on a distinguished road

I admit, I like playing and it burns up some time if I let it. I mainly use it while on the road for work to burn time after hours, keeps me out of other trouble. I played last deployment, but unfortunately do not have the bandwidth this time...it is great on deployments when you can, makes the year fly by.