Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #41
jaymz
God of Preservation

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
jaymz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which one, PS3 or XBox 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Compare the cost. X360 barebones can be had for 199, PS3 399.
get a new PS3 for $250 here:
http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Ev...right_event342
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #42
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
Yep, just sign up for a playstation Visa with a high interest rate. And no thanks, I already have one!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #43
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
It is small, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

10+ year penetration vs 2 and a half year penetration(3/4 of a year without competition of HD DVD)

Not to mention that any TV can benefit from DVD, whereas only HDTV's will benefit from Blu-ray.

Given the limited window of 'possible' market penetration, the format war, and the relatively high price in a troubled economy. I'd say Blu-ray is thriving right now.
I wouldn't say thriving. The numbers posted are actually pretty similar to DVD when it first hit. The only difference is that DVD only had one format to compete with, blu ray has several. I honestly don't think blu ray is going anywhere soon, methinks it will go the way of laser disk.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #44
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I wouldn't say thriving. The numbers posted are actually pretty similar to DVD when it first hit. The only difference is that DVD only had one format to compete with, blu ray has several. I honestly don't think blu ray is going anywhere soon, methinks it will go the way of laser disk.
I'll save this post for next year

And really... even if it did the same as Laser Disc, I'd have no problem with that. Thousands upon thousands of obscure titles reaching the format over a 10+ year lifespan, not to mention a format dedicated to the Home Theater Enthusiast.

I'll take it.

But honestly.. the sheer fact that you can buy Blu-rays in Walmart, Fred Meyer, Costco. The fact it even has on the air advertisement. The fact it will play all your standard DVD's, and in reality, even make them look better. And has sub 200$ players just over 2 years after hitting the shelves.

For those reasons as well as constantly dropping prices, I see Blu-ray players eventually replacing Upconverting players within the next 2 years. When that happens, it'll become the de facto standard simply because of more features for the same price. Whether software penetration follows suit is anyone's guess.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #45
SilverFox

Quote:
I'd just like to add to this that Blu-ray standalone have shipped over 2.2 million units for the year and The Dark Knight sold, not shipped, sold 600k units day 1. 147,000 Standalone units were sold Black Friday alone. I don't have the total statistic for how many have sold for the year, but they wouldn't be shipping them if they weren't selling.

This obviously doesn't include the PS3's statistics, which is the #1 selling player on the market.

Blu-ray is taking off in the US market

When Walmart is showing Blu-ray ads twice an hour. That has to say something.

THREAD JACK ALERT

Jordan, I am a blu ray fan and love the format but the numbers speak volumes. Taking off isn't exactly what I would call it, the most recent numbers I see are that compared to sales in excess of 3,200,000 units of Dark Knight only 688,000 are blu ray. I wouldn't say that 21.5% represents adoption at a brisk pace. Couple the economy with the increased cost of blu players and discs (compared to DVD) and you will see that the adoption rate is not going to be as fast as VHS to DVD. With still less than 1,000 titles available on blu ray vs 10s of thousands on DVD consumers will still not jump to the new format. Couple that with an average player cost of $300+ and you won't see that huge of a rise.

DVD sales are only down 2% over this time last year, far from a huge impact to the market.

There is an expectation that blu ray will triple the number of players sold in 2009 to approximately 5.8 million units in North America. I think that blu ray will be the new standard only to be potentially made obsolete by downloading (maybe I am old school but I like to own my movies so this one I have a hard time with).

In summary I am not saying blu ray won't be adopted just not as fast as some may have thought after the format war was won.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #46
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
I'll save this post for next year
Please do. If i'm wrong i'll send you a fiver
Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #47
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
THREAD JACK ALERT

Jordan, I am a blu ray fan and love the format but the numbers speak volumes. Taking off isn't exactly what I would call it, the most recent numbers I see are that compared to sales in excess of 3,200,000 units of Dark Knight only 688,000 are blu ray. I wouldn't say that 21.5% represents adoption at a brisk pace. Couple the economy with the increased cost of blu players and discs (compared to DVD) and you will see that the adoption rate is not going to be as fast as VHS to DVD. With still less than 1,000 titles available on blu ray vs 10s of thousands on DVD consumers will still not jump to the new format. Couple that with an average player cost of $300+ and you won't see that huge of a rise.

DVD sales are only down 2% over this time last year, far from a huge impact to the market.

There is an expectation that blu ray will triple the number of players sold in 2009 to approximately 5.8 million units in North America. I think that blu ray will be the new standard only to be potentially made obsolete by downloading (maybe I am old school but I like to own my movies so this one I have a hard time with).

In summary I am not saying blu ray won't be adopted just not as fast as some may have thought after the format war was won.
I think it boils down to differing opinions of what is successful.

In my eyes, the format doesn't have to beat DVD to be successful. All that means is the studios make more money. For it to be successful in my eyes, just get me the movies I love on the format and let the accountants sort out the rest.

[/THREADJACK]
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #48
Resipsa

Quote:
I own all three (PS3, X360, Wii) and if your looking for the best gaming experience go 360. The online gaming experience is far better than Sony's, there are far more games available for it, you get down loadable content and expansions for games much before Sony, and the new Netflix feature is tight. There's a reason it has so vastly outsold PS3. Yeah, the quality isn't as good, but MS has a good warranty in place. Compare the cost. X360 barebones can be had for 199, PS3 399.

I have to disagree with everyone over the PS3 as a good BR player. Yeah it has a blu ray player built in, but it's loud as hell. I never use it, I picked up a cheap BR player at best buy that works much better. And Home sucks.
Have to disagree with you Joe. The PS3 is, still, considered far superior to almost any stand alone BR player on the market when it comes to PQ, audio, features, etc. It consisently beats BR players costing 2-3 times as much. Not me talking but the geeks out AVS forums.

Noise? Frankly, I can't hear the thing over my HT system, so what do I care?

The PS3 is equal to, if not better than the XBox 360 as a gaming platform, when you add in the additional features (BR player, media streamer, internet browsing) there's really no comparison to the two machines. Like already stated, apples to oranges, the PS3 is designed, and continues to be updated as, a multi media machine. The 360 isn't in the same class when it comes to that.

And Joe, given your love of Linux, you surely know that the PS3 is designed as a dual boot system and fully supports the installation of Linux on it right, making it a fully functional HTPC in your system rack?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #49
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post

The PS3 is equal to, if not better than the XBox 360 as a gaming platform, when you add in the additional features (BR player, media streamer, internet browsing) there's really no comparison to the two machines. Like already stated, apples to oranges, the PS3 is designed, and continues to be updated as, a multi media machine. The 360 isn't in the same class when it comes to that.

And Joe, given your love of Linux, you surely know that the PS3 is designed as a dual boot system and fully supports the installation of Linux on it right, making it a fully functional HTPC in your system rack?
I know about the linux for ps3, it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Never tried it honestly.

Really the only reason I bought the PS3 was to play games Vic, and in that department they are lacking. There are more games for X360, better online gaming experience, more DLC, their arcade is better, for gamers its the better choice of the two.

Last edited by VirtualSmitty; 12-15-2008 at 08:19 PM.
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #50
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

This thread was a fun and informative read! We have some well informed folks here! I have a 360 and love it! What dos MMORPG mean?

Oblivion rocks!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #51
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
This thread was a fun and informative read! We have some well informed folks here! I have a 360 and love it! What dos MMORPG mean?

Oblivion rocks!
MMORPG

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #52
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Interesting read this morning on Yahoo! Games

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...on-08-/1276642

Seems the Wii is whooping ass and the 360 is far out pacing the PS3.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #53
j-easy

xbox 360 + xbox live = my fav

and i have all 3
Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #54
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Darrell!! You are now and forever "Nice Darrell"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
MMORPG

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #55
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
Or until the Red Ring of Death gets you...

(sorry, could not resist)
not the newer ones!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #56
j-easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
not the newer ones!!!
yeah mine is old school, it broke. they sent me a box and a shipping label. i mailed it to them. they fixed it for free and sent it back. no problems since.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #57
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post

Seems the Wii is whooping ass and the 360 is far out pacing the PS3.
Wii is fun, but honestly for the more hardcore/experienced gamer it, in my opinion, will leave you wanting more. I like playing it with friends in a group, which maybe is the niche that it fills.... but besides super mario galaxy, the games compared to the 360 and ps3 just fall short for me.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #58
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-easy View Post
yeah mine is old school, it broke. they sent me a box and a shipping label. i mailed it to them. they fixed it for free and sent it back. no problems since.

yeah, i have the green halo edition one, its not failed me in over the year that i've had it!!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #59
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road

Thread update for all of you!!!
Thanks for all the replies,
they were informative,
I thought about the ps3 and couldnt pull the trigger on it because of the BR feature.
I just cant get into that debate about how much better it is...

What it came down to was having a 360 would be less transition from my orig x box

plus I can play some of my old school games with it!! I hope I made the right decision cause I pulled the trigger on a 360 today!!
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #60
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Wii is fun, but honestly for the more hardcore/experienced gamer it, in my opinion, will leave you wanting more. I like playing it with friends in a group, which maybe is the niche that it fills.... but besides super mario galaxy, the games compared to the 360 and ps3 just fall short for me.
I dunno James, there are actually a fair amount of good games on Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy
Wario Land
Smash Bros
Mario Kart
Okami
No More Heroes
Zack and Wiki
Metroid Prime 3
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Paper Mario
LoZ Twilight Princess
MM9
Strong Bad series
Mushroom Men
Boom Blox

...to name a few. And with Mad World and No More Heroes 2 on the horizon there is actually some exciting stuff on the horizon.