Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #21
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wii or ps3

?
Posted via Mobile Device
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #22
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj23 View Post
?
Per Goalie204, we're all girls or little kids... I guess you have to pick a side.

I suppose I'll be a little kid.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #23
floydp
Team of 11

First Name: Frank
Trading: (0)
Partagas MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
floydp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooble View Post
1. How old is your son?

The Wii is better suited for youger players. Not that adults can't have a blast with it as well, just that the PS3 doesn't have many good games for pre-teens.

2. Do you have an HD TV?

I have a Wii, and when I upgraded to a hi-def TV, the graphics were so bad that I quit playing it for the most part. The HD TV really accentuates the not-so-great graphics of the Wii. I bought a PS3 and have loved it. Plus it's a blu-ray player.
If your using the cables that came with it then it really does kinda suck. We upgraded them with component cables we got from monoprice.com that drastically improved the vid quality, now it isn't so bad.

We have both consoles and like them for what they are. I prefer the PS3 simply because it is more or less a computer. I stream internet content from a program called Tversity. It also allows me to view whatever I have stored on my computer to the PS3. Gran Toursimo,Fallout3,sport games are fargin awesome on the PS3.

We really like the family oriented games on the Wii and play it together a lot. The game controllers are more fun to use. Not very good for the usual console games. I have Far Cry and a couple racing games but their not great on the Wii.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #24
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by livwire68 View Post
Because I am the Dad, and its my house, my rules! Im bigger than he is (not for much longer)! Just want to make sure his game system goes with his style of gaming.
Amen, Dad. Set the rules early and things will go more smoothly as he grows up. PSP is great and so is Wii,,,flip a coin
Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #25
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Stick with the Wii. It actually has a number of excellent games.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #26
CHRONO14
It is what it is

Partagas
CHRONO14 is on a distinguished road

If your looking for longevity and a wide variety of great games the ps3 is the way to go. I have a wii and love it though. However, third party game support for the wii (and most nintendo systems historically) is pretty low. If you look at the top rated games for most nintendo systems they are almost always in house games from nintendo. For example, Mario Galaxy, Super smash brothers, Zelda, Mario Party. That isn't necessarilly a bad thing because those games are phenomenal, however the list of third party games for the wii that are of that calibur is very short (rayman raving rabids being one of my favorites).

As for sony systems they typically have high quality games coming out for their systems even late into the life cycles of the system (look at the ps2). Granted if your kid is of a younger age I would probaby go with the wii because it does offer many great games that are playable by young and old alike. However, the ps3 will offer a wide variety of games for a longer period of time, yet they will be geared toward an older crowd.

BTW, not to hijack the thread but if anyone knows of a place that is selling new metal gear sold 4 ps3 bundles that are backwards compatible and aren't price gouging can you shoot me a pm. They seem to be out everywhere unless your willing to pay a ridiculous price for them. I just bought a 60" dlp and need to finally pick up my ps3. Thanks

CHRONO14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #27
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

We have both and in the end I tend to hit the PS3 10-1 over the Wii. My wife prefers the Wii, but also will not sit down and play the regular games. We have guitar hero and rock band for the PS3 and she will play them and likes both. In the long run PS3 tends to be the traditional game console and while the Wii has some very good games, they tend to be Wii specific some almost to the point of a gimmick.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #28
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

Ok one more question about the wii I have seen you can connect via. wi-fi to the internet, can you also actually use the internet ex. can I check out whats going on here at CA. And can I hook up a keyboard?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #29
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Perhaps in my drunken state, i didn't express myself correctly. I didn't mean that wii is only for kids and females. I was referring to the xbox employee's statement from last yea rthat it is for kids ( http://repriisent.blogspot.com/2007/...-for-kids.html ) sarcastically.

I thought everyone knew about this, it was a big deal among my friends and I, as literally all my friends have wii's and love them, and we're all over 28 (including my 38 year old sister). I guess sarcasm can't be detected in posts ;/

I apologize if I offended anyone, and shall not be using the intarweb upon drinking lage quantities of vodka anymore. sorry
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #30
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by livwire68 View Post
Ok one more question about the wii I have seen you can connect via. wi-fi to the internet, can you also actually use the internet ex. can I check out whats going on here at CA. And can I hook up a keyboard?
Haven't tried on the Wii, but I can surf with PS3.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #31
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post

I apologize if I offended anyone, and shall not be using the intarweb upon drinking lage quantities of vodka anymore. sorry
A wise choice.

But what the hell is the "intarweb"?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #32
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

I have both (had the wii for a while, just got the ps3 last week). Love golf and the other fun sports-type games on the wii. Plus MarioKart--that is blast. The graphics on PS3 are far superior, it seems like there are more games I'm interested in, and it's a blu-ray player. So, again, I just think it comes down to what you're looking for in a system.

I'm not a gamer and haven't owned a video game console since 8-bit Nintendo, but I've been having a blast with both systems.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #33
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
A wise choice.

But what the hell is the "intarweb"?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=intarweb
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #34
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
That figures.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #35
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
Haven't tried on the Wii, but I can surf with PS3.
My PS3 is way to small to surf on. But the Wii can access the Internet.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #36
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
My PS3 is way to small to surf on. But the Wii can access the Internet.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #37
floydp
Team of 11

First Name: Frank
Partagas MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
floydp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
I have both (had the wii for a while, just got the ps3 last week). Love golf and the other fun sports-type games on the wii. Plus MarioKart--that is blast. The graphics on PS3 are far superior, it seems like there are more games I'm interested in, and it's a blu-ray player. So, again, I just think it comes down to what you're looking for in a system.

I'm not a gamer and haven't owned a video game console since 8-bit Nintendo, but I've been having a blast with both systems.
Not a gamer either James but I find myself either bowling on the Wii or shooting hoops and other sports games on the PS3 an awful lot lately. blu-ray sealed the deal on getting a PS3.

Had to replace the sensor today on the Wii, the tiny wire it connects to got cut so we went with a Nyko wireless sensor that works great. Really don't have any serious complaints about either system. Very happy with both.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #38
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydp View Post
Not a gamer either James but I find myself either bowling on the Wii or shooting hoops and other sports games on the PS3 an awful lot lately. blu-ray sealed the deal on getting a PS3.

Had to replace the sensor today on the Wii, the tiny wire it connects to got cut so we went with a Nyko wireless sensor that works great. Really don't have any serious complaints about either system. Very happy with both.
will have to pick one up