Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #2661
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Red's Fans Check in

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Cubs are pitiful, Steve. With the exception of Starling Castro and Darwin Barney, they have little to be excited about at this point. Over the hill, over-paid "sluggers", mentally unstable pitchers and a minor league manager. If I wasn't a Tigers fan I would be watching bowling right now.
Byrd isn't that bad is he? And Baker (I think that's the utility guy's name doesn't seem that bad). I wouldn't mind having Aramis Ramirez at third base for the Reds next year.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #2662
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I'll agree in part. We were pretty much the exact same team for the first half of this year. Since the AS break, we've been a relatively young team. The first half can be blamed on Jocketty for not making moves vs. Cards and Brewers making moves. The moves worked out for the Brew Crew, as they've turned into the Phillies of the Central, but the moves haven't worked out for STL at all, except for Berkman. If Milwaukee kept their same team as last year, then we would have made another run at it, but unfortunately, they improved, where Walt did nothing but bring in some losers/has beens with Renteria and Lewis. I can't knock him for the extensions, bc they've all worked out somewhat (even Arroyo b/c he's provided rest for the bullpen).

But the second half has been Heisey, Frazier, Sappelt, and Alonso. These guys haven't been much, but we've won games with them and have worked back to above .500. Really, other than Cozart and Alonso, the prospects haven't shown much (with Alonso still to be determined), but we've made do with them and it has been a completely different dynamic the second half. We can actually win two games in a row at this point.
Yup yup.. which is somewhat shocking considering they just about got swept by both the Stros and the Cubbies...
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #2663
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Byrd isn't that bad is he? And Baker (I think that's the utility guy's name doesn't seem that bad). I wouldn't mind having Aramis Ramirez at third base for the Reds next year.
Yeah, I am pretty down on the team, but Byrd is a good ballplayer....just hasn't been the same since he got his face smashed in with a pitch though, hopefully he comes back stronger next year if he is back. Ramirez looked like he was on the decline, but he continues to suprise once the weather warms up. I'm not sold on Baker yet, though.

Too bad the Tigers are in such a crappy division too...or maybe a good thing. I think they will have trouble in the playoffs...unless Verlander can pitch 11 games in a row.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #2664
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Yup yup.. which is somewhat shocking considering they just about got swept by both the Stros and the Cubbies...
When we got beat by the ASStros, I gave up all hope, but a little bit of it has come back recently.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #2665
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Yeah, I am pretty down on the team, but Byrd is a good ballplayer....just hasn't been the same since he got his face smashed in with a pitch though, hopefully he comes back stronger next year if he is back. Ramirez looked like he was on the decline, but he continues to suprise once the weather warms up. I'm not sold on Baker yet, though.

Too bad the Tigers are in such a crappy division too...or maybe a good thing. I think they will have trouble in the playoffs...unless Verlander can pitch 11 games in a row.
I'd like to see Baker get to start everyday to see what he could do.
Ramirez just ended a 16 game hitting streak. He's a power guy and has a good average. I'd take him anyday.
Byrd will make a comeback. Kinda like Bagwell getting hit on the hand twice. Took a bit, but he came back. Same for NASCAR racers and the "big one". They get in the big wreck and they're shakey for a while before they get their confidence back. It'll happen.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #2666
waffle

Quote:
The hatred is just for outsiders, b/c if you listen to the radio, Marty has talked pure trash about this team for a while now. That's why I prefer to listen to the radio over the tv broadcast. Marty calls it like it is vs. douchebags like Chris Welsch who seems to know every player on a first name basis.

At times when I'm listening to Marty, I think I'm watching/listening to Bob Uecker in Major League.
Lol I WISH Marty would get hammered like in Major League!!! And you're exactly right, I spend too much time watching it rather than listening... I did appreciate that the Cowboy flat out called out the team a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehogs
Cubs are pitiful, Steve. With the exception of Starling Castro and Darwin Barney, they have little to be excited about at this point. Over the hill, over-paid "sluggers", mentally unstable pitchers and a minor league manager. If I wasn't a Tigers fan I would be watching bowling right now.
You should check out bocce... im pretty sure its on the OCHO.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #2667
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Lol I WISH Marty would get hammered like in Major League!!! And you're exactly right, I spend too much time watching it rather than listening... I did appreciate that the Cowboy flat out called out the team a few weeks ago.

You should check out bocce... im pretty sure its on the OCHO.
I missed it. What did Brantley say?

I will admit that I'm a Brantley homer. This guy is awesome and should be a pro wrestling commentator in the offseason.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #2668
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I'd like to see Baker get to start everyday to see what he could do.
Ramirez just ended a 16 game hitting streak. He's a power guy and has a good average. I'd take him anyday.
Byrd will make a comeback. Kinda like Bagwell getting hit on the hand twice. Took a bit, but he came back. Same for NASCAR racers and the "big one". They get in the big wreck and they're shakey for a while before they get their confidence back. It'll happen.
Hope.

Sounds like Aramis wants to stay in Chicago (I dunno why, LOL). Now they need to fix their middle relief.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #2669
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

This is the best Reds debate/discussion we've had on here in two years. I wish this would happen more often in here.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #2670
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Hope.

Sounds like Aramis wants to stay in Chicago (I dunno why, LOL). Now they need to fix their middle relief.
Even if he didn't want to stay, they wouldn't move him to another team in the NL Central. It's just wishful thinking on my part. Maybe next year's GM for the Cubs will do them some good.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #2671
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Even if he didn't want to stay, they wouldn't move him to another team in the NL Central. It's just wishful thinking on my part. Maybe next year's GM for the Cubs will do them some good.
Can't do much worse then the last few years, Andy.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #2672
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This is the best Reds debate/discussion we've had on here in two years. I wish this would happen more often in here.
There is always discussion between the two of us Andy. The problem is most others who post in this thread post simply when the Reds win. Nice to see Steve and Tom engaging in a little baseball talk though.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #2673
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Can't do much worse then the last few years, Andy.
I would definitely like to see the Cubs return to relevance. Having some more parity in the division would be nice too. Having 3 of the worst 5 teams in the NL and the worst team in the MLB doesn't make it very exciting. With the exception of the Brewers right now, there isn't much worth watching in the NL Central.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #2674
waffle

Quote:
I missed it. What did Brantley say?

I will admit that I'm a Brantley homer. This guy is awesome and should be a pro wrestling commentator in the offseason.
Something along the lines of well, this is what its like to watch a professional team playing baseball in Cincinnati (talking about whomever they were playing), the problem is if they call the team out too bad, they get because at the end of the day, they still are employed by the Reds. Its fun to have a conversation about something you're passionate about... it also helps to be able to see the whole picture when you look at teams dynamic... poor Tom has been dealing with this since Sammy took the team to the playoffs!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #2675
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
There is always discussion between the two of us Andy. The problem is most others who post in this thread post simply when the Reds win. Nice to see Steve and Tom engaging in a little baseball talk though.
It's also nice to see Dan's optimism in here too. Don't straight up disregard it. We suck, but feelgoodism is nice too from time to time. Hugh pops in from time to time with some happiness (and sometimes not) too. The two of us are pretty hard on the team, so I always welcome some "homerism" from time to time.
Quote:
I would definitely like to see the Cubs return to relevance. Having some more parity in the division would be nice too. Having 3 of the worst 5 teams in the NL and the worst team in the MLB doesn't make it very exciting. With the exception of the Brewers right now, there isn't much worth watching in the NL Central.
That's why we need to get rid of a team. We're the only six team division in baseball. Why don't the Asstros move to the West to even things out. Give every division five teams? Too many teams make us look bad b/c when you go up against the ASStros three to four times a year, it inflates your record.
Quote:
Something along the lines of well, this is what its like to watch a professional team playing baseball in Cincinnati (talking about whomever they were playing), the problem is if they call the team out too bad, they get because at the end of the day, they still are employed by the Reds. Its fun to have a conversation about something you're passionate about... it also helps to be able to see the whole picture when you look at teams dynamic... poor Tom has been dealing with this since Sammy took the team to the playoffs!
When Brantley first started calling games he was boring and monotonous, but he's gotten MUCH better and has provided a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to pitching. Good to see he's learned a thing or two from Marty on how to be honest about the home team.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #2676
waffle

Quote:
It's also nice to see Dan's optimism in here too. Don't straight up disregard it. We suck, but feelgoodism is nice too from time to time. Hugh pops in from time to time with some happiness (and sometimes not) too. The two of us are pretty hard on the team, so I always welcome some "homerism" from time to time.

That's why we need to get rid of a team. We're the only six team division in baseball. Why don't the Asstros move to the West to even things out. Give every division five teams? Too many teams make us look bad b/c when you go up against the ASStros three to four times a year, it inflates your record.

When Brantley first started calling games he was boring and monotonous, but he's gotten MUCH better and has provided a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to pitching. Good to see he's learned a thing or two from Marty on how to be honest about the home team.

I absolutely agree with some homerism makes it feel good, but when thats all that comes down, it grinds the conversation to a halt...

I LOVE the Marty/Cowboy combo, its refreshing to hear guys that are willing to take shots at the team when they underperform.

I agree it doesnt make sense for the division to have 6 teams, but "inflating" the record with the Stros... didn't the Reds just get swept by them???
Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #2677
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:

I thought you said sports discussion.

The division is ridiculous, they should shuffle the NL and give the Central some better teams. Problem being that the Reds will fall even further. I don't know who you cut out to put into the AL. Being in the weakest division certainly improves the Reds chances every season, but last year was the first time they have taken advantage of it in the last 20 years.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #2678
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I thought you said sports discussion.

The division is ridiculous, they should shuffle the NL and give the Central some better teams. Problem being that the Reds will fall even further. I don't know who you cut out to put into the AL. Being in the weakest division certainly improves the Reds chances every season, but last year was the first time they have taken advantage of it in the last 20 years.
Optimism is part of the discussion too, even if it isn't in depth.

Houston would be the team to go. They are the furthest west team. They could go to the NL West and move Arizona to the AL West. That way the divisions would be evened out.

True, it would hurt us in the long run, but then it would be a bit more fair all around. If Milwaukee didn't switch leagues on us, then everything would be ok, but it is what it is.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #2679
waffle

I think that it might take strengthening the division to make real progress with the reds... if they think they can float in the division, they don't have to work harder because they think they can get into the playoffs with a mediocre team...

However, if they turned into the O's, who routinely get laughed out of their division, I think the Reds would bust their ass to get back into the division... of course I could be wrong.... 13 behind...
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #2680
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I believe in being passionate about your teams....for me, that means the Blackhawks (NHL) over most, but I also have love for my MLB, NFL and college FB teams. But being a passionate fan doesn't mean being blind....if you can't be objective about your team, your opinions will likely be irrelevant in a frank discussion about same. Thanks for indulging me here even though the Reds aren't my team.