Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #221
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gin Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimneyfish View Post
Awesome! there's a great ol' Gin thread!
hard to find these nowadays as people think you're a sad old man who just lost their great-grand daughters if you even touch gin.

Botanist is still my preferred drink of choice. cheap and very flowery. compliments a lot of cigars that are all floral and earthy, too! but i haven't paired gin with it for a while....... summer's here... soon.

any other good recommendations on Gins? i've also taken a shining to Plymouth.
Always good to find another gin lover.

Take the time to read the entire thread, Jeremy.
Tons of recommendations.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #222
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome!!
I agree I'm 28 and nobody I know touches Gin, although I have turned some of my friends on to it! There's really nothing like it!

As Peter said read all 12 pages there's tons of info on here, and you'll have an expensive shopping list next time you run to the store!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #223
Chimneyfish
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Chimneyfish is on a distinguished road

cheers mates. will take it to a quick skim right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Welcome!!
I agree I'm 28 and nobody I know touches Gin, although I have turned some of my friends on to it! There's really nothing like it!

As Peter said read all 12 pages there's tons of info on here, and you'll have an expensive shopping list next time you run to the store!
Ha! i just turned 19 and absolutely love the stuff. straight or half and half in a medium Martini. Always have a bottle of The Botanist underneath my computer table. it's so cheap i don't feel badly about drinking it at all!

and honestly, i'm into gin for two reasons besides flavour: 1. can make it at home 2. cheapness. i don't want any expensive gins!!
Chimneyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #224
Chimneyfish
Still Watching My Back

Tanqueray 10........ never knew Gin benefited from ageing
Cadenhead’s Old Raj Dry Gin... not available here at my government liquor stores. not many gins are... even the Botantist is only seasonal... in other words, won't be able to buy in the fall, again.

None of these are available:
man, i just keep searching.... 15 suggestions later and none of these gins are in my local Inventory controlled stores.
Ah well..... sticking to my Botanist and my attempted creations won't be TOO bad
Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #225
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

More power to you!!
As stated in an older post I drank warm shots of it when I was 11 or 12 out of a friends parents liquor cabinet and got so sick id never drink it again! 15 years later tried it and fell in love! Either way welcome and I'll leave it at this- a better gin does make a hell of a difference!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #226
Chimneyfish
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
More power to you!!
As stated in an older post I drank warm shots of it when I was 11 or 12 out of a friends parents liquor cabinet and got so sick id never drink it again! 15 years later tried it and fell in love! Either way welcome and I'll leave it at this- a better gin does make a hell of a difference!
ha! great story there . that's the same sentiments that i tell my mates. sooner or later, they'll start loving it!!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #227
lukem
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Luke
Army (Retired)
lukem is on a distinguished road

My friend turned me on to Gin and Tonic recently. I picked up a big bottle of Hendrick's Gin from Costco. Been making a stiff drink with a little tonic and juice from half a lime. I have to say they are quite tasty and have had a few with cigars already. As the summer gets closer here in New Orleans, I see a lot more of them on the hot days ahead.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #228
lukem
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Luke
Army (Retired)
lukem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
More power to you!!
This is the exact same thing that happened to me. One summer before 10th grade we were doing shots of everything in my mom's liquor cabinet. We got to the gin, I took one shot and ran to the sink. Haven't touched it since then until a few weeks ago and really like it now.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #229
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

will be reviewing these in the coming days. Took a trip to Vancouver for my son to play in a hickey tournament. Spent 2 days in Washington visiting friends and family. Washington has an a lot of very small distillers making gins. I only bought 3 bottles but could have purchased 10-12 was very frustrating trying to decide.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #230
pnoon
YNWA

RA

You're a drain on my wallet, Mike.

I look forward to your reviews.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #231
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

I also look forward to the reviews especially 3 Howls!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #232
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

This is not the 3 howls navy strength that just won some awards. Its standard issue. Will review one tonight.

Pete a lot of these are extremely difficult to obtain out of state. I found a store that will work with me, but involves pre purchasing a fedex box and using a courier. More likely I will just have a friend or family member do the deed, but hate asking family for stuff like that.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #233
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

URL=http://s23.photobucket.com/user/ahbroody/media/20140428_104104.jpg.html][/url]URL=http://s23.photobucket.com/user/ahbroody/media/20140428_104136.jpg.html][/url]
Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #234
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Just a little torture for you boys. This is less then half of the local stuff. There were multiple bottles I forgot to photo. Including some very small batch local producers. Lot of folks doing barrel aged up there also.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #235
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Just a little torture for you boys. This is less then half of the local stuff. There were multiple bottles I forgot to photo. Including some very small batch local producers. Lot of folks doing barrel aged up there also.
Booking my flight now.
(Where am I going? )
Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #236
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Seattle then drive straight here
http://wineworldspirits.com/selectio.../spirits-list/

end of may were going to LA for a hockey tournament and im driving. Going to go batshet crazy at hitime wines
Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #237
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Seattle then drive straight here
http://wineworldspirits.com/selectio.../spirits-list/

end of may were going to LA for a hockey tournament and im driving. Going to go batshet crazy at hitime wines
Ruh-roh.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #238
Chimneyfish
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
wowsers! that's absolutely fantastic.

gives me another reason to visit the West coast now! the prices are also absolutely fantastic!!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #239
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Took a trip to Vancouver for my son to play in a hickey tournament.
I would like to digress for a moment on how uncomfortable most of the parents must have been, being forced to watch that tournament. I understand now why the gin may have been a salve of types. Odd activity, that.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #240
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
I also look forward to the reviews especially 3 Howls!
Of the three the Griffon is by far the best for G&Ts. It has a citrus and faint vanilla profile with minimal heat or pepper. To me I think it has done the vanilla better then the OOLA(also washington based) as it is not overbearing but much more complimentary. Its layered very well with the citrus and drinks fairly easily neat.

I have to sip 3 howls a bit to get a better grasp on its profile. It has a fair bit of pepper and a little heat to it. It just didnt give me pause while drinking it.

The Spy Hop. The Spy Hop I got was not the standard release but the thimble berry. I would really like to try the others. I honestly think this gin is best enjoyed neat. It is unbelievably smooth. Drinking it neat you can get the berry in the back ground but when adding tonic it becomes muddled. Its a very delicate gin with lots of little nuances. It seems like their gins model St. Georges with some of their offerings, but having had St Georges I give the nod the spy hop for quality. I have tried it with fever tree, Q and CD. I think i will try it fentimans soon to see what it does.

if you are Vancouver do not by Urban Distillers Bear Spirits Gin. Like Botanica it is over the top with Anise. I dont like black liqourice and dont understand why sone boutique gin producers go this route.