Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #181
TFed
Hetman

First Name: Terry
Trading: (0)
TFed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gin Thread!

So, bought some Q and some Fever tree. I have Hendricks, NA, and my beloved Rangpur. Anything else a must for right now?

Pairing suggestions?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #182
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

The Q is a tough one you really have to just try it with your gins. To me I preferred it with sweeter gins as I mentioned in a previous post.

Last night I did Deaths Door with fever tree.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #183
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
The Q is a tough one you really have to just try it with your gins. To me I preferred it with sweeter gins as I mentioned in a previous post.

Last night I did Deaths Door with fever tree.
Paging Mike to the CC MAW thread
Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #184
ronaldbarbarren
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Karl
ronaldbarbarren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge796 View Post
I like a Bombay & Tonic with extra limes on a hot summer afternoon.

Chris.....
Me too man. Tasted it once but haven't got the chance to buy some. But they were fine. Good taste man.
ronaldbarbarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #185
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Went to total wine today, was going to buy some Hendricks but the $70 price tag turned me off because I already had a full shopping cart for the guests I'm entertaining this weekend. I told the girl that works there that I really enjoy Sapphire and she said if I like that than I'll love Citadelle, bought a 750 ml bottle for around $20. Smells fantastic, going to try it next week anyone try Citadelle before? Thoughts? Will def get the 1.75 L Hendricks but a sole purchase for next time! thanks guys!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #186
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Love citadel. Mentioned it prior. Top 3 sub $20 gins for me.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #187
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, I remember reading that it was mentioned as I was buying it but was just hoping for a little more info in it
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 AM   #188
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Citadel is just a great non traditional gin for those who like a lot of botanicals. I think it hits the mark a lot better then bombay east or tanqueray rangpur at a great price point. At least for G&Ts. I can not speak to Martinis. I didnt really like rangpur at alll. The first time I had it I really liked it but then after drinking it a few more times it just wasnt for me. Bombay East is good but I just think Citadel hits the mark so much better.

In that vein I had Beefeater 24 the other day. Its not bad but not much of anything comes to mind. They down play the heavy juniper and try to bring in citrus and tea notes. It was just boring.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #189
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going to have to see if MI has Citadel. We have a Detroit distillery that makes Gin and they did a mistake batch that had too many botanicals. It was amazing. Two James Distillery, their production gin is really good but I liked the mistake batch more.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #190
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I'm going to have to see if MI has Citadel. We have a Detroit distillery that makes Gin and they did a mistake batch that had too many botanicals. It was amazing. Two James Distillery, their production gin is really good but I liked the mistake batch more.
I need more info about this Christos.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #191
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I need more info about this Christos.
Old Cockney Gin.. $33.99 for a bottle. They do distribute around SE MI but I haven't seen it anywhere but at their tasting room.

The do tours too on Saturdays I think it is $15 and you get to try all the spirits they make plus some experimental booze too

Two James Spirits
2445 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, MI 48216

http://twojames.com/

I just realized if you click on "tasting room" on their website I'm in the picture with two ladies on the right side of the bar. You can see the top of my head and my hand but I know it is me
Old 02-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #192
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

If they only had a smoking lounge....

We should probably figure out a way to do a herf downtown this summer with a stop at Two James worked into the mix.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #193
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I found the Berkshire Greylock at Total Wine.
My son will be stopping there this weekend and he'll be picking up a bottle for me.

Full report next week.
Quite enjoyable. I get some floral notes but my taste buds are a bit off due to some sinus issues. I will revisit when my head clears.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #194
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Okay had the pleasure of finding an amazing gin.

OOLA gin is out of Washington State and just like Voyager and DryFly from Washington it is fantastic.
Where OOLA really shines is just sipping it. It is the smootest gin we have ever had with virtually zero burn. On the nose is vanilla and citrus. The vanilla doesnt come through as heavy while sipping but it is present along with juniper and citrus. The bottle I got had a massive dent put in it from everyone sampling neat.
With tonics it was interesting. With standard fever tree it was unremarkable. With fever tree Mediterranean it was very good. With Q tonic no good. With Canada Dry it was good.

Botanica Gin from Richmond Califoria
Pepper pepper and a hint of what we thought was sarsaparilla similar to Avaiation gin but thankfully much lighter. As a whole must of us did not enjoy this gin neat at all. Tingling tounges and sarsaparilla is just weird. Did not particularly enjoy with either fever tree versions or Q. Will try with CD to see if it makes it palatable. It is unlikely this will work with any thing for me as it just reminds me of aviation which I camt stand.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #195
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Okay had the pleasure of finding an amazing gin.

OOLA gin is out of Washington State and just like Voyager and DryFly from Washington it is fantastic.
Where OOLA really shines is just sipping it. It is the smootest gin we have ever had with virtually zero burn. On the nose is vanilla and citrus. The vanilla doesnt come through as heavy while sipping but it is present along with juniper and citrus. The bottle I got had a massive dent put in it from everyone sampling neat.
With tonics it was interesting. With standard fever tree it was unremarkable. With fever tree Mediterranean it was very good. With Q tonic no good. With Canada Dry it was good.

Botanica Gin from Richmond Califoria
Pepper pepper and a hint of what we thought was sarsaparilla similar to Avaiation gin but thankfully much lighter. As a whole must of us did not enjoy this gin neat at all. Tingling tounges and sarsaparilla is just weird. Did not particularly enjoy with either fever tree versions or Q. Will try with CD to see if it makes it palatable. It is unlikely this will work with any thing for me as it just reminds me of aviation which I camt stand.
Do you realize how much money you are costing me?

I mean that in a good way.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #196
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Just bought some Hendricks, PA has the most screwed up liqueur laws (Spirits and wine are sold in State controlled stores that are small and have the bare essentials) I drive 20 minutes to Total Wine in DE which is MUCH better but still cannot find G'Vine, Uncle Val's and a lot of these other gins you speak of. Next time I go to NJ I'm gonna have to call around and find some!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #197
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Just bought some Hendricks, PA has the most screwed up liqueur laws (Spirits and wine are sold in State controlled stores that are small and have the bare essentials) I drive 20 minutes to Total Wine in DE which is MUCH better but still cannot find G'Vine, Uncle Val's and a lot of these other gins you speak of. Next time I go to NJ I'm gonna have to call around and find some!
Uncle Val's and G'Vine are boutique brands. I wouldn't expect them to be easy to find.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #198
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

I wish there was a way we could do a sample pass around. Seems like it would be a lot of work though and serious potential for disaster with leakage.

Pete I have a feeling OOLA will not be a simple acquisition. I found a bottle at Beltramos a boutique liqour store up here that puts bevmo to shame. Maybe I can figure out a way to get you a sample

For the record I saved you money. Dont buy Botanica! Bam $38.00 saved

I feel spoiled I guess as Gvine and Uncle Vals are available at multiple places especially Uncle Vals
Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #199
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
I wish there was a way we could do a sample pass around. Seems like it would be a lot of work though and serious potential for disaster with leakage.

Pete I have a feeling OOLA will not be a simple acquisition. I found a bottle at Beltramos a boutique liqour store up here that puts bevmo to shame. Maybe I can figure out a way to get you a sample

For the record I saved you money. Dont buy Botanica! Bam $38.00 saved

I feel spoiled I guess as Gvine and Uncle Vals are available at multiple places especially Uncle Vals
G'Vine is available at BevMo -2 miles from home. 1/2 mile from where I work.
Uncle Val's is at a specialty shop - ~15 miles from home.

OOLA doesn't seem to be nearby but Total Wine has it. They are ~60 miles north. But very close to where my daughter lives. She's my mule.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #200
TFed
Hetman

First Name: Terry
TFed is on a distinguished road

My son in law infuses New Amsterdam with some high quality earl grey tea.

The result tastes like a slightly more complex Hendricks imho.

Decent gin made great with a modest amt of time and