Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
Darrell

Default Re: Cozy and Bobarian's Blind Tasting Pt 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I do like the Choix's, but since I havent smoked one from your fresh box, I didnt have a fresh one to baseline. And yes, I am still a noob!

My box has almost 2 yrs on it.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #22
mrreindeer

Great thread fellas; keep 'em comin'.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #23
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

First Name: Craig
Trading: (47)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
SmokinCozy is on a distinguished road

I just smoked #2 while watching The Jets give The Titans a whoopin'
This was a large robusto 5x 54/56? The flavor and strength was good for this early part of the day. There was nothing that really stood out with this one, except there was this flavor in the back ground that I related to too much Honduran. As I am new I come to that conclusion from the couple of Punches that I had That being said, this flavor was in the background and not over powering. I would smoke this cigar while working in the garage or in the yard as to have something else to distract me from that background flavor. Not that bad of a cigar, but with all the other stuff in the humi, I don't see myself ever going to this again.
Now off to my favorite robusto(Boli RC) to watch my Giants teach the Cards a lesson
Old 11-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #24
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCozy View Post
I just smoked #2 while watching The Jets give The Titans a whoopin'
This was a large robusto 5x 54/56? The flavor and strength was good for this early part of the day. There was nothing that really stood out with this one, except there was this flavor in the back ground that I related to too much Honduran. As I am new I come to that conclusion from the couple of Punches that I had That being said, this flavor was in the background and not over powering. I would smoke this cigar while working in the garage or in the yard as to have something else to distract me from that background flavor. Not that bad of a cigar, but with all the other stuff in the humi, I don't see myself ever going to this again.
Now off to my favorite robusto(Boli RC) to watch my Giants teach the Cards a lesson
That one was a Padilla Achilles. A pretty decent inexpensive smoke, from the current batch not the original release. I like these as a mild/medium everyday smoke, nothing too complex or challenging. You can find these for anywhere from $25-40 a bundle on cbid.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #25
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Smoked #4 tonight. A really ugly 5 1/4 x 42approx. Corona. Super toothy wrapper, actually had a little taper towards the head. It looked like a stubby fingered roller with palsy applied the cap. This was one rough looking smoke.
Prelight draw wasnt too bad but gave away that it had come in a cardboard box. First third was pretty good, some nice toasty flavors came through, not at all as rough as the construction would lead you to believe. Certainly had the rustic flavor of that island that is not the Dominican Republic. Second third remained quite pleasant, good burn. Rustic, toasty flavor profile maintained. Final third got a bit hot so I put it down until it was almost out and puffed again. after a purge the toasty flavor returned. My guess is that this was a Los Statos Dlx Brevas. Might have been a Quintero, but most of the Quint's I have smoked I did not enjoy. I like the LSD's for a good inexpensive smoke. Have a few of the Delirios in my Vino. They are a nice late nite last smoke.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #26
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

Cigar #4 is new to me and I really enjoy these for the price. You got it right, this was a inexpensive island smoke. This was a Fonseca Cosacos (NISU TTH-02). I have to be in the mood for it, but good flavor. What do you do with the tissue?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #27
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

I really like the KDT's and I have had a few Cosacos, this one was the fugliest Fonseca I have ever seen.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #28
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
this one was the fugliest Fonseca I have ever seen.
This must be the reason for the tissue
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #29
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

I just smoked #3. When I first picked this one up, I didn't have much hope for it. The cigar wasn't uniform with hard and soft spots. It cut and took to flame very well. When I first started smoking all I could say was WOW I hope this continues. This tasted like a sungrown with just a tad of spice on the tongue. These great flavors continued all the way through and about half way picked up another good flavor. I really don't know how to describe it but I know the flavor....maybe cinnamon and citrus I smoked this delicious cigar down to the nub and would without a doubt smoke this again. Ok what was this so I can go get some of these babies
Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 PM   #30
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

That was a DPG Cuban Classic(black label). Other than the Hirsch and Garcia from CigarKing, probably my favorite Pepin. A milder blend than most Pepin's, it allows some of the more subtle flavors to come forward, rather than being a big pepper bomb.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #31
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

I just had the chance to smoke #4. The wrapper on this cigar was lighter than anything I would normally smoke. I thought this cigar would be mild with not too much behind it. Well I was wrong. This cigar was a real flavor bomb right from the start. Reminded me of a Ashton but with a little kick to it. This was a nice smoke til the last third, then the flavors got real harsh and bitter, so it got pitched. I could imagine smoking this in the morning with some joe, but would have to be in the mood for the extra kick this stick had. I can't even start to guess of what this one might be.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #32
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

I think these can benefit from some rest. It was an EO 21, a bundle smoke from the makers of 601 and Cubao. Described as a mild, I find them closer to a medium. Some nice spicyness, but still a little rough around the edges. I would like to try one of these with 6 months to a year of rest to see if the blend mellowed a bit. Your review was pretty much spot on.

I smoked #5 tonight, another robusto sized stick. Natural Colorado or maybe Havana seed wrapper. Seemed too golden to be a Connie. Some toothiness, but no veins or imperfections.

Started off very nice, hint of pepper with some nice earthy background. But the nose exhale seemed to say Nic and not Cuba. Pepper and spice picked up about 1/3rd in, burn was a bit wavy but did not require any touchups. I didnt pay attention to the ash as I was trying to figure out the flavors. Seemed to be wanting to have a twang but the pepper kept coming through. This could be a young Boli or Partagas, but I am thinking more likely Pepin. Which Pepin? Seemed stronger than the Cabiguan I had last night, I havent had a JJ in a long time so I will guess a Pepin JJ. Another cigar that I think would benefit from 6 months rest.

Thanks Craig for another great round of tastings!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:47 AM   #33
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

I am making my way through my 2nd box this year of #5. I have a new box trying to see if I can keep my hands off of them. I think these would be outstanding with a bit more rest. Your first guess was spot on. This was a pretty fresh Boli RC (URO DIC 07). Yes this was a learning experience for me and I should have #5 done by tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #34
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

I have smoked #5, the final in my blind sampler. This was a good looking slightly box pressed maduro. This took to fire well and the draw was perfect. That's about all I could say for this one. I stuck with it up to 2 inches but couldn't take it any further. I have been a lil under the weather and would like to blame that for the way this tasted as I haven't had a stick this bad in a while.
Thanks for this learning experience, and bringing me out of my shell
Old 11-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #35
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Sounds like you got a bad one. This was a Camacho Negro, havent smoked one in a month or so, but I really like these. Too bad they are not available. Thanks for doing this again Craig, I hope you found a new stick to try again. tedrodgerspa runs a great Blind Tasting PIF. Its a fun way to test your palette and try some more blind smokes.