Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is the Keurig here....

We bought the Keurig Special Edition model & we love it. Works perfectly for what we needed.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

my parents and sister have both switched to keurig, I am the only one who still uses a press or drip machine. there seems to be a stable market for them
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
We were certainly never connoisseurs. However, we both appreciate a flavorful cup of coffee and were grinding Eight O'clock beans every morning. We knew we were not using a high end burr grinder and were not grinding more expensive or freshly roasted beans. However, we have both been surprised at how much better the pre-ground K-Cups have tasted.

One difference I've noticed is that the Keurig gets the water to a much higher temperature than our old antique coffee maker. I wonder if that is making more of a difference than coffee quality. A little experiment seems to be in order. We bought one of those reusable cups. I guess I should grind some of the Eight O'clock and see if the higher temperature makes a difference.

That's exactly what I was referring to. Thanks. It was basically that they are making comments similar to yours about how the coffee is better out of the Keurig.

Why all of them made similar comments about he coffee being better, I don't know as I don't have enough experience with the machine to say. They just did.

For me personally, I'm not a connoisseur either, the Keurig simply doesn't make coffee strong enough for me, as I like my coffee crunchy.

Last edited by T.G; 01-04-2013 at 08:38 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #24
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Mines sticking around for at least the 30 boxes of k-cups in the pantry and elsewhere.

I'm of the same mind. I like a stronger cup of coffee. My wife prefers lightly brown colored water. This satisfies us both without having to make 2 different pots.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I think it's here to stay...at least mine is.

People are always looking for a more convenient, time saving way of doing things and so I think the Keurig fits that bill nicely.

I don't consider myself a coffee connoisseur by any means, and that's OK with me. I love being able to brew a "fresh" cup any time I want one and it's great not having to deal with all the measuring and hassle (and waste) of making a full pot.
This is exactly how I feel. We got our's for Christmas.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #26
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

We have one at the office. Works great for when we offer clients a cup of coffee, as it's always fresh.

At home, I'm too cheap to spend that much on a cup-a-joe. I brew a pot of Folgers. The whole pot costs less than a cup from a Keurig. At least, I think so. Never thought about it. But I've also never thought of coffee as an expense. I like my coffee cheap, and I like it with milk and sugar. The coffee snobs will probably turn up their noses at that, but coffee is one of those consumables (to me, anyways) that I choose not to spend more on than I need to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdiqNimxwzg

Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #27
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Ours is here to stay. We've had one for two years now and really enjoy the quick, convenient and tasty coffee it brews. We use it every morning to fill a travel mug for each of us. On the weekends, we either use this or our french press. If we have company that we know will be drinking coffee, then we break out the 12 cup maker.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #28
Retiredguy
Life is good

First Name: Jack
Trading: (0)
Retiredguy is on a distinguished road

I believe the Keurig, or something comparable, is around to stay. The convenience is great.
If you want to grind your own, and use the Keurig, there is a reusable k-cup container available. It's not quite as convenient as popping in a k-cup from the store, but it does work.
Retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I think capsule/pod-based coffee machines are here to stay. I prefer the Nespresso myself, because I prefer espresso shots rather than cups of coffee, but the principle is the same.

You can't beat the convenience, and the quality of the resulting drinks is pretty good. You can also still get fresh ground espresso, coffee or coffee drinks at one of the many (many) coffee shops around when you want something better than the capsules that you have at home.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Our daughters gave us a Keurig Platinum Plus for Xmas. Like the easy use. And we are not wasting so much coffee.
One perk in the box was a coupon for 2 free boxes of K cups from Keurig. Except for our local Western Washington brands like Tully's, Starbucks and Millstone, am not familiar with the other brands like Green Mountain and Donut Shop.
Any recommendations for bold K cup varieties? Like smokes, I enjoy strong and dark.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

I believe the Keurig will be here to stay for a while. There appears to be numerous varieties of K-Cup coffees to choose from...

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever ripped the top off one of these K-cups to ascertain the weight of the coffee grounds inside? I've had the French Roast by Green Mountain that makes an ok 8oz cup, but still a wee bit on the weak side for myself. My question regarding the weight is, I was wondering how much of your favorite ground coffee you could pack into a reuseable K-cup and would it make a better cup of joe for you...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #32
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

I got one for my birthday and I love it so far. I'm about to purchase some k-cups what should I try guys? I like strong coffee is that helps.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #33
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
My question regarding the weight is, I was wondering how much of your favorite ground coffee you could pack into a reuseable K-cup and would it make a better cup of joe for you...
We have one of the Keurig My-Cup reuseables. Tried it out over the weekend and thought the coffee was weak. Don't know about the reuseable you have pictured, but this seems to be a problem with the my-cups. Everyone's best guess is that the design of the my-cup is different than the k-cup and water is forced through the my-cup too fast.

I tried one of the fixes I found. Took a used k-cup, cleaned out the coffee grounds and filter, cut the lip off of it and put it into the my-cup before adding my coffee. I also used a really fine grind. The combination significantly increased the strength of the brew. It also clogged up the needle from the hot water tank and I had to clean that out.

Love to hear from anyone who has figured out how to make good coffee with the reuseables.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #34
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Love the convenience of our machine but not entirely happy about consuming something created by forcing boiling water at high pressure through cheap-ass plastic. Have tried the Keurig version of the reusable cup but, like others, find the coffee a little weak.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
novasurf
The Roastmaster General

Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road

I've never used one, but it seems a fine grind would be a plus. If not, use less water, adjusted to your desired strength.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #36
x man
Opus lover since 1995

First Name: X
Trading: (24)
Montecristo
x man will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
I believe the Keurig will be here to stay for a while. There appears to be numerous varieties of K-Cup coffees to choose from...

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever ripped the top off one of these K-cups to ascertain the weight of the coffee grounds inside? I've had the French Roast by Green Mountain that makes an ok 8oz cup, but still a wee bit on the weak side for myself. My question regarding the weight is, I was wondering how much of your favorite ground coffee you could pack into a reuseable K-cup and would it make a better cup of joe for you...
I bought a unit for my parents when i left town 6 weeks ago.
I havnt tried it yet.
I have the same question about packing it for a stronger cup.
As i roast my own coffee i usually make a days worth in the AM.
But sometimes i need another cup or 3 later in the day.
x man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #37
velvet jones
Big Smooth

Trading: (3)
velvet jones is on a distinguished road

For stronger coffee try the bold and extra bold varieties. Me likey.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #38
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

As a long-time B-60 owner, I believe that Keurig is here to stay. Considering that Keurig has added 2 new systems to the Kcup system, the "Vue" system and the "Rivo" system. The new systems use different single serve cups; the Vue is a fancy single cup brewer, while the The Rivo™ Cappuccino & Latte System brews Authentic Italian espresso on one side. Perfectly frothed milk on the other. And of course, all the simplicity Keurig is known for.

BTW, if anyone is interested, there is another company making replacements for Kcups: http://www.gourmet-coffee.com/onecup.html

Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #39
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I have one at home and one in my office, def better than any of the chain stores and a good to great selection. I agree that too many big names have put their brand behind it, in the form of 'cups', to fail at this point.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #40
MACS
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Shawn
Bolivar Navy (Retired)
MACS is on a distinguished road

Let me preface my post with this: I am not a coffee connoisseur, but I do appreciate a good cup of coffee. I was a Navy Senior Chief, after all.

My son worked at charbucks (their coffee tastes burned to me, now) and I tried a lot of their stuff because my son got it for free. It was better than Navy coffee, though. After I tried a bag of beans from Costco (Jose's Colombian Supremo) I didn't want anything else.

My wife likes to drink coffee, too, but she drenches it with cream and sugar, so she isn't too picky. She bought us a Keurig and she likes it. I use it when I am in a hurry and some of their stuff is palatable.

I like a splash (just a touch) of Cold Stone Sweet Cream creamer in my coffee... which I brew strong.

Now that I have rambled forever... It's here to stay for one simple reason - it's incredibly quick and convenient.